Earthy taste from grains?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Earthy taste from grains?

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 27, 2004 9:10 am

Hi guys,

Matty originally posted the message below as part of the canadian blonde string, but I thought it might be better as a new topic. Hope you don't mind.

Cheers,

Oliver

Do brews made using some grains need extra time to mature? Any brew I've done with them have had an earthy/woody type of tatse? Am I maybe heating them too much, turning heat off just as it boils, or do I just need to adjust to the flavour and let it age for longer?

Cheers
Matty
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 27, 2004 9:12 am

Hi Matty,

The secret to using grains is to not boil the water you prepare them in, as it can draw out nasty/undesirable flavors.

What I do is put all the grain in an ample quantity of cold water and very slowly heat the water. Don't allow it to boil. (In fact, in a brewery the hottest grain would get to during a mash is in the high 70s C.) Turn off the heat and let all the grain steep for half an hour or so, then strain the liquid into the fermenter, or use the liquid to dissolve or boil your other ingredients in.

I used to get that earthy taste, too, but haven't had it since I stopped boiling the grains.

Has anyone else got thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guest » Tuesday Sep 28, 2004 10:49 am

i usually just keep them at around 65-66deg C for as long as it takes for the hot-break to occur. usually about 30-40mins. seems to work well, no nasties, it just takes a little while that's all :)
-wombat

Postby Matty » Thursday Sep 30, 2004 4:02 pm

So it sounds like this earthy kinda taste goes after a while from reading your brewing recipe/notes Oliver?

Cheers

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby Oliver » Friday Oct 01, 2004 2:23 pm

Not completely disappears, but mellows, I'd say. It's still quite noticable though.
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer