Advice on secondary fermentation

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Advice on secondary fermentation

Postby raccoon » Thursday Sep 30, 2004 5:42 pm

I brewed up a Coopers Canadian blond the beginning of August and bottled on the 10th of August,I tried the first Bottle the other day and it seemed a bit on the flat side,actually tasted still pretty immature, so randomly picked a couple of bottles and all tasted the same,It has been quite cold here in kalgoorlie and I`m thinking it has`nt done it`s secondary fermentation due to being cold.I`v been away for a few weeks so the beer was in the pantry in the shed.

My question is, if secondary been a bit slow due to the cold,and moved it to a warmer place would secondary fermentation still take place,or should i open every bottle and place another teaspoon of sugar again and re cap.

regards

Mario
raccoon

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Oct 01, 2004 12:30 pm

Mario,

If I was you warm it up a touch. Try it in another two weeks, if it is still flat then reprime (personally I hate repriming in the bottle). It may not hurt to add a grain of yeast to the bottle in case your yeast has dudded. My last comment is a "Hail Mary" type situation and should only be used as last resort

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Friday Oct 01, 2004 8:50 pm

Mario,

I endorese everything that Dogger says, but add that before you put the bottles somewhere warm tip them upside down to agitate the yeast and any unfermented sugar.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer