Fluctuating Cold Conditioning Temp

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Fluctuating Cold Conditioning Temp

Postby aurelius121ad » Saturday Jan 10, 2009 11:27 am

I have recently discovered the value of cold conditioning. The low quality malt I have to use produces a ton of sediment in my bottles letting the fermenter sit at less than 10*C seems to drop tons of it out of suspension. But I cant keep the air at a 100% constant temp while cold conditioning. I set the fermenter near the window in the kitchen (covered of course), open the window to the freezing cold air in from outside and close the kitchen door. Unfortunately my girlfriend isnt incredibly thrilled about the homebrewing and doesnt understand or care about the brewing process so she shuts the window all the time and the temp warms up quite a bit.

So the ambient air temp is anywhere from 4 to 18* C. I realize the importance of constant temp during fermentation but does the cold conditioning temp need to be constant?
You guys with your homebrew shop access have no idea just how fortunate you are!!!!!
aurelius121ad

Return to Making beer