Coles - getting out of home brew?

Spread the word about cheap beer, or homebrewing equipment and supplies. Found something of interest on eBay? Post it here.

Coles - getting out of home brew?

Postby mikey » Sunday Aug 08, 2010 7:48 pm

My HBS told me Coles are getting out of home brew. I have been to a few Coles in recent days and stock is not only cheap but very low. Bargains to be had?
mikey

Re: Coles - getting out of home brew?

Postby Lachy » Monday Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm

It seems likely - I've noticed this at a few stores now. It's a shame - it was good to be able to do the weeks' shopping and to grab the ingredients for the next brew at the same time.
Lachy

Postby Bum » Monday Aug 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Not "likely" - it is a done deal. Coopers made a big stink about it a while back.
Bum

Postby Lachy » Monday Aug 09, 2010 4:11 pm

I suppose this could be a double edged sword... it will undoubtedly be good for LHBS who will no longer have to compete with Coles. However, Coopers must be losing a heap of cash from all of this. :(
Lachy

Postby Bum » Monday Aug 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Well Coles are getting out as they claim there's no money in it so probably not. Hopefully all effected homebrewers vote with their feet and take all of their shopping to Woolies - and the HB shopping to a LHBS should they be lucky enough to have a good one.
Bum

Postby earle » Tuesday Aug 10, 2010 9:39 am

The prices for coopers kits always seemed a bit higher at Coles compared to Woolies/Big W anyway. I know for a while Coles was trying to market themselves as an upmarket supermarket. Does putting the price up on things achieve this marketing goal?
earle

Return to Bargain bin