Coopers Microbrew Kit - $61 Big W

Spread the word about cheap beer, or homebrewing equipment and supplies. Found something of interest on eBay? Post it here.

Coopers Microbrew Kit - $61 Big W

Postby OldEvan » Monday May 01, 2006 1:56 pm

Coopers Microbrew kits are for sale at Big W (elizabeth SA one anyway, maybe nationwide) for $61, about $10 cheaper than normal (or $20 cheaper than coopers website).

I bought one and everything was easily in its due date.
OldEvan

Postby NTRabbit » Monday May 01, 2006 7:28 pm

Always a good starter kit for the beginner, and brewing cans that are out of date is not much of a worry - the malt just gets a little darker, and the yeast may need replacing, but thats about it. Takes a couple years past the use by date for the can to become really unuseable.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Shaun » Wednesday May 03, 2006 9:52 pm

Still not worth buying the fermenters are crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a good HBS and pay a little more and get a kit with a pail fermenter.
Shaun

Postby NTRabbit » Wednesday May 03, 2006 11:20 pm

Shaun wrote:Still not worth buying the fermenters are crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal opinion and nothing more. I have all carboys and not a single problem with any of them, all work properly, seal completely and clean easily.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby shazzam » Thursday May 04, 2006 5:15 am

I have four fermenters - all coopers, after upgrading one older bucket & one other carboy type. Being thirty litres they are easier to clean because of their size and easier for me to carry.
I think if you don't clean them propoerly you would have problems. The pail type would be less hassle I suppose but the lids look like they would be very difficult to clean and dry properly ?
Two ravenous Ambers, with williamette, english crystal & chocolate
shazzam

Postby Tipsy » Monday May 08, 2006 8:14 pm

shazzam wrote:. The pail type would be less hassle I suppose but the lids look like they would be very difficult to clean and dry properly ?

The pails are a lot easier to clean because they have no rubber seal
Tipsy

Postby Shaun » Monday May 08, 2006 10:55 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Shaun wrote:Still not worth buying the fermenters are crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal opinion and nothing more. I have all carboys and not a single problem with any of them, all work properly, seal completely and clean easily.

I've used both have you? I do not have my carboys anymore as they are no good. Give a pail a try you may be surprised.

shazzam wrote:The pail type would be less hassle I suppose but the lids look like they would be very difficult to clean and dry properly ?

The lid is easy to clean it is flat.
Shaun

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday May 09, 2006 12:25 am

Shaun wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:

I've used both have you? I do not have my carboys anymore as they are no good. Give a pail a try you may be surprised.

shazzam wrote:The pail type would be less hassle I suppose but the lids look like they would be very difficult to clean and dry properly ?

The lid is easy to clean it is flat.

I haven't the money to waste on a bucket when I have 3 carboys that work perfectly.

The last thing newbies need when they have just bought their first kit, and are surrounded by confusion, is a scaremonger screaming at them "YOU JUST BOUGHT CRAP, GO SPEND MORE MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE FROM A SPECIALTY STORE LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE", especially when the scaremonger is completely wrong.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby ex0ja » Tuesday May 09, 2006 12:47 am

NTRabbit wrote:I haven't the money to waste on a bucket when I have 3 carboys that work perfectly.

I agree with you here. The bucket type fermenters may be better, but since I have no problems with my carboy ones I'm not about to go out and spend more money on new fermenters.

If someone is just starting out there is no harm suggesting that they go for the better product, no need for all those exlamation marks though! And I wouldn't say the carboy ones are crap, I have no problems with mine. The bucket ones certainly may be better, but the carboy ones work fine and I don't see what's so bad about them.

BTW NTRabbit, the Pies can pull bigger crowds than your South Australian teams any day of the week! :wink:
ex0ja

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday May 09, 2006 1:51 am

ex0ja wrote:BTW NTRabbit, the Pies can pull bigger crowds than your South Australian teams any day of the week! :wink:

omg! Whirlpool Magpie scum! Have at thee, forum crossposter! :shock:
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby ex0ja » Tuesday May 09, 2006 1:59 am

NTRabbit wrote:
ex0ja wrote:BTW NTRabbit, the Pies can pull bigger crowds than your South Australian teams any day of the week! :wink:

omg! Whirlpool Magpie scum! Have at thee, forum crossposter! :shock:

Haha! :lol: I have only been on this forum for a few months now and I have seen your posts ever since I started on here. I just read your post on whirlpool and then had a look on here and saw another one of yours so I thought I'd do a cross-post for a bit of fun :D
ex0ja

Postby Tipsy » Thursday May 11, 2006 9:49 pm

My 2 carboys just went out in hard rubbish. Some bargain hunters took half of my crap but left the fermenters. They probably knew they didn't seal properly :lol:
Tipsy

Postby lethaldog » Friday Aug 18, 2006 11:19 am

I cant understand what all the fuss is about, i have four coopers fermenters ( screwtop lid) ands a couple of the old pails and if you blokes are saying chuck em out cos they are to hard to clean and so on then i think your all a pack of girls, how hard is it to get in there and run a sponge around it, i would do this with my pails anyway, so stop your sooking and get on with brewing :lol: :lol: :lol:
lethaldog

Postby rwh » Friday Aug 18, 2006 11:33 am

Does a pail type have a tap? Cos I reckon they're the best thing since sliced bread. I'm never going to syphon again if I can avoid it; it's BS!
w00t!
rwh

Postby lethaldog » Friday Aug 18, 2006 11:39 am

Yeah ive got a couple of the old coopers pails and they have a tap and so do the screwtops and personally i think they are both as good as each other :lol:
lethaldog

Postby Tipsy » Friday Aug 18, 2006 10:01 pm

lethaldog wrote:I cant understand what all the fuss is about, i have four coopers fermenters ( screwtop lid) ands a couple of the old pails and if you blokes are saying chuck em out cos they are to hard to clean and so on then i think your all a pack of girls, how hard is it to get in there and run a sponge around it, i would do this with my pails anyway, so stop your sooking and get on with brewing :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just saying that I had two Coopers fermenters that were extremely hard to seal. They still made good beer but I hate a product that dosen't perform as it was intended. I'm not sooking, but I'd rather people thinking of parting with hard earned cash to be informed.
Tipsy

Postby lethaldog » Friday Aug 18, 2006 10:36 pm

I wasnt making any personal attack i was merely wondering what all the fuss is about, each to there own, i have had more trouble with my pails sealing than ive ever had with a screw top but im still not going to get in here and can some poor blokes purchase and tell him what he has bought is absolute rubbish when its a crock of shite, they both work fine in my opinion, when i mentioned sooking i was merely refering to everyone who complains about the cleaning of screwtops or carboys, i think its a bit petty as i have never had any problems running a sponge around either but this is only my opinion and unlike some i dont think that its the only one that exists :lol:
Live and let live :lol:
lethaldog

Postby Tipsy » Friday Aug 18, 2006 10:46 pm

No worries Lethal :D
Pails Rule!
Tipsy

Postby lethaldog » Friday Aug 18, 2006 10:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lethaldog

Return to Bargain bin