Forum upgrade, complete with private messaging!

What's happening on homebrewandbeer.com.

Forum upgrade, complete with private messaging!

Postby Oliver » Monday Dec 31, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to use my annual leave productively and upgrade the homebrewandbeer.com Forum software.

So this week, I'll be sitting down in front of my computer and coming up with a new look, doing a few practice upgrades (on my PC, not on the live site) and looking in-depth at how the many new features can make this forum even better.

One of the main differences you'll notice is that there will be private messaging so you can communicate privately with other users on the forum instead of having to post a message or send an email.

The spam protection is better, too, so hopefully we'll all notice a drop in the amount of spam posts and registrations.

If you're interested, a full list of the functions in v3.0 of phpBB is available here: http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/ (Note that at this stage I don't know which features will be enabled or disabled, although if you've got any thoughts about which of the features you'd like to see enabled, I'm happy to listen.)

Once the new look is what I want and I'm confident I can perform the upgrade without any problems, I'll do it. That's probably going to be later this week (Thursday or Friday 3/1 or 4/1), but I'll let you know closer to the time.

Note that the forum will be offline for an hour or two when I perform the upgrade, so apologies for any inconvenience that causes.

Happy new year!

Cheers,

Oliver
Last edited by Oliver2 on Monday Dec 31, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby KEG » Monday Dec 31, 2007 1:55 pm

yaaaaaaaay, private messaging :D

all your time, money and effort is appreciated Oliver. have a great new year :-)
KEG

Postby tazman67 » Monday Dec 31, 2007 10:59 pm

Thank you Oliver for a great site...your work is much appreciated by all.Happy New Year to you and all on this great forum.
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Jan 01, 2008 8:15 am

Glad to hear it Oliver. Hope all goes well in transition. We all appreciate the effort that you and greg put in to make this forum a great place to be!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Tuesday Jan 01, 2008 8:17 am

out of curiosity, does Geoff ever make an appearance? i've seen plenty of his beer reviews etc, but not spotted him in the forum.
KEG

Postby gregb » Tuesday Jan 01, 2008 10:24 am

He popped by the other day, in the BUL thread.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Oliver » Friday Jan 04, 2008 7:55 am

This upgrade will happen TODAY.

See http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... php?t=7493

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to News and announcements