Oliver's Braumeister

A place to show off, exchange ideas about, & seek assistance with our toys.

Oliver's Braumeister

Postby Oliver » Sunday Sep 22, 2013 6:27 pm

I thought I was going to be first to post in this new forum, but weizgei got to it first.

So, my setup is stock-standard 20-litre Braumeister (a 40th present from my chick), with no-chill. Before the Braumeister I did a few BIABs with an immersion chiller or no-chill overnight in the fermenter. Back in the good old days I was a kits and bits brewer.

I brew outside. We have a covered deck, which allows brewing year-round, although it's chilly in the winter months. We don't have a shed, so unfortunately a man cave/brewery is not an option.

This is the Braumeister, with cheap cardboard insulation, to help the temperature rise quicker, conserve energy and maintain a good boil. That's Cooper in the background (named after the beer, of course). A more refined version of the insulation, with cardboard cut with more precision and an old foam exercise mat, is in the works.

This is just after I've mashed in. The mash liquor is being pumped from the outside ring, up through the grain and cascading over the outside, to be recirculated. At this stage the liquid is quite cloudy.

This is almost at the end of a 45-minute mash and the liquid is running much clearer. It's during mash-out so there's a bit of steam, which makes taking a good picture difficult.

At the end of the mash the "malt pipe", as the Germans call it, is lifted out and the grain in it is left to drain for a few minutes. I don't bother sparging.

This is the stainless steel filter sitting on top of the grain while the "malt pipe" is suspended out of the liquor, which is coming to the boil. Underneath the filter is mesh, which filters out the smaller particles.

The wort at the boil. The "malt pipe" is in the background waiting to be emptied of the spent grain.

The crud in the bottom of the boiler after the wort is drained off.

The wort in the cube. It's a 20-litre job from Bunnings, but I reckon holds at least 23 litres.

Fermentation is either in a cupboard under the stairs or in the shower recess in the outside laundry, both or which are cool and maintain a fairly constant temperature. Much as I've pondered, I can't think of anywhere a fermentation fridge/converted freezer would fit.

On the positive front, the little lady has already conceded that when we renovate a brewery will be included in the plans.

Cheers,

Oliver

EDIT: Added some detail about the brew-day location and fermentation.
Oliver
Administrator

Re: Oliver's Braumeister

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Oct 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Oliver,
How much wort does your 20lt Braumeister make.
You're using a cube that holds 23lts, do you make a higher gravity wort and add the extra to the boil?

Can you have it ready to go and set the timer to start early morning and would this have any detrimental effect if your crushed grain is left in cold water over night?
Tipsy

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Oct 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi Tipsy,

The way I brew, the BM makes just over 21 litres into the cube, so about 21 litres in the fermenter. I actually mash then top it up to 28.7 litres before the boil, which becomes 25 litres after a 90-minute boil. About 3.5 litres for trub loss ends up being 21.5 litres or so.

It isn't possible, as far as I can see, to set it on a timer. Given that, the question about leaving the grains in cold water is moot, which is a good thing because I don't know the answer!

Anyone else have thoughts?

If you're ever in the big smoke let me know and you can drop over if it happens to be a brew day.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Oct 23, 2013 10:11 am

Sounds good Oliver.
I am seriously considering getting one if it streamlines my brew day.
I run a still at the same time so the automation of Braumeister is the appeal.
Tipsy

Return to My brewery