Fermentors

A place to show off, exchange ideas about, & seek assistance with our toys.

Fermentors

Postby emnpaul » Tuesday Sep 24, 2013 9:20 pm

This is a picture of my new fermentor. Its's on it's fifth run now and is doing the job quite well. I bought it in a last ditch effort to get rid of a wild yeast infection, discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10941&p=112351&hilit=infection+wild+yeast#p112351

I bombed my old fermentor pretty good with bleach, acid, betadine and sodium hydroxide. Still it lingered. So in a last ditch effort bought a new fermentor and went back to using the lid and airlock. Initially I was sceptical as I'd only used the old drum style Cooper's ones and wasn't that impressed with the American style bucket fermentors or Cooper's Krausen Kollar. My scepticism proved unfounded as my infection now seems a thing of the past, the new fermentor is easier to clean than the old one and it has accurate litre measurements all the way up to 30 litres. It was pretty cheap too.

This has me wondering, what do you guys use for fermentors? I'm particularly interested in any left field solutions or plastic or stainless conicals and what you think of them. Do you rig blow-off tubes?

A bit off topic: Wouldn't it be great if Coopers had called it a Krusty Krausen Kollar or something like that? Kontext: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KqNtY9SwEA
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Re: Fermentors

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Sep 25, 2013 12:18 pm

emnpaul wrote:what do you guys use for fermentors?

I've been using these with glad wrap but I really like my 25lt bucket like your 30ltr.
Easy to get in and clean and you can always get an air tight seal if you want to use an airlock.
Where did you get yours?
Tipsy

Postby emnpaul » Wednesday Sep 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Tipsy wrote: Where did you get yours?

Here: http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/categor ... ting-Gear/

It seems to be a slightly different model now, with Country Brewer on the front.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Sep 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Cool thanks, that's where I got my origional, but they only had 25lt ones at the time.
Tipsy

Postby weizgei » Thursday Sep 26, 2013 12:35 pm

I have two of these: http://attachments.aussiebrewmakers.com ... 1358398353

I use them without the lid, just glad wrap over the top and the black rubber ring keeping it down.

I also have a few 10l (fit over 11l in reality) narrow rectangular containers from when I used to buy bulk extract, they work well for the odd small (~8l) batches I do of cider or hefe's.
weizgei

Return to My brewery