Peroni Now BUL

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Peroni Now BUL

Postby lob » Thursday Dec 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Just bought a case from NoChoice (Coles). Didn't even check the slab because, you know, everyone knows Peroni is one of the few *honest* imports, actually imported, from, er, Italy, where it is, er, actually made, using ingredients from, er Italy. Not any more though:

"Brewed under supervision of S.p.A BIRRA PERONI, Via Biroli, 8 - Roma, in Australia by Pacific Beverages Limited, 102 Briens Road, Northmead, NSW 2152, Australia from local and imported ingredients."
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Re: Peroni Now BUL

Postby Tipsy » Friday Dec 03, 2010 7:46 am

How does it taste?
Tipsy

Postby lob » Friday Dec 03, 2010 9:59 am

Tipsy wrote:How does it taste?

That's how I found out. I was drinking the beer and it just didn't taste right. Sort of bland with no kick-back or bite. I turned the stubbie round and I could still see "Imported by..." on the back label. But then noticed the label was referring to 'Imported into New Zealand' (from Australia.) Assholes, it's brewed in Northmead, Sydney....long way from Rome.

I still had an empty case from about 2 weeks prior, didn't notice anything odd about the taste, so I went and checked the packaging, and it's Imported from Italy. The new slab has the 'Brewed under supervision" crap written on the base of the slab. Once all the old stock goes, that'll be it. Peroni will just be another fake import. More profit for Pacific Breverages, Coles, and Woolies. Same price for us poor punters. Less Taste.

Actually, the "Peroni" that's appearing on tap in trendy [wanky] pubs over the past 6 months or so must all have been Northmead Lager also.
lob

Postby Oliver » Friday Dec 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Interesting, that. I had a Peroni on (off?) tap at the Stokehouse in Melbourne the other day and it just didn't taste right. I couldn't quite put my finger on it at the time, but it just didn't have the clean, crisp taste and good bitterness that I'd remembered.

Now I'm wondering whether it was BUL(L).

It's a sad day. What next, Pilsner Urquell?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby jayse » Tuesday Dec 07, 2010 10:02 pm

That what you are tasting is called fresh beer, the stuff thats brewed here that is.
Pacific beverages, blue tongue, SAB miller or whatever they want to call themselves have to go to great lengths to make sure it cuts the mustard, including sending it to italy and other peroni breweries for it to get a thorough testing before they are allowed to release it. If it fails even the simple most minor thing by any one person or brewery in the chain the whole batch must be thrown out (Unlike CUB or lion nathan who if their BULs' don't quite cut the mustard just get blended with their 'draughts'). So in reality it is possibly what it actually is meant to taste like when it is fresh.
Maybe you guys like the oxidsed and possibly light strike flavours in old beer which gives it that 'bite'. :?:

When it says brewed under supervision this is spot on, its brewed exactly the same with the exact same ingredients and if they don't nail it then they get told to tip it out, this is for every single batch.
The lengths they go to in making sure it is spot on is almost mind boggling, the only difference is it is fresh.

Most homebrewers or even just general beer drinkers will not believe this, I don't care believe what you want.
I am not even saying I believe it as I haven't tried the bul one, maybe put one of the bottles in your boot and drive it around for a week/month then put it in the sun for a while then it might taste just like the imported stuff. :shock:
jayse

Postby lob » Wednesday Dec 08, 2010 5:32 am

jayse wrote:...maybe put one of the bottles in your boot and drive it around for a week/month then put it in the sun for a while then it might taste just like the imported stuff. :shock:

Hell, I thought um importation was rather more sophisticated these days. So you're saying, in regards to the Imported Peroni, they employ 1000s of Italians to drive to the brewery to pick up cases of Peroni and deliver them via car boot to the awaiting container ship. Once on board they are left sitting around on the top deck under the hot sun as the ship makes it's way through rough seas....Then, years later, after several breakdowns, and stops at various ports for rest, recreation, and procreation, the leaky boat arrives in Australia, with news of a new boat arrival all over the wireless. After the media pack and the navy are finished dealing with the stowed away "boat people", the all-clear is given, and each and every bottlestore sends their youngest L-Plater staff member out in their own vehicle [1980 Datsun] to pick up as many cases of Peroni as their car can carry.

It's no wonder they switched to BUL...
lob

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Dec 08, 2010 7:08 am

:lol:
Tipsy

Postby earle » Wednesday Dec 08, 2010 8:42 am

lob wrote:
jayse wrote:...maybe put one of the bottles in your boot and drive it around for a week/month then put it in the sun for a while then it might taste just like the imported stuff. :shock:

Hell, I thought um importation was rather more sophisticated these days. So you're saying, in regards to the Imported Peroni, they employ 1000s of Italians to drive to the brewery to pick up cases of Peroni and deliver them via car boot to the awaiting container ship. Once on board they are left sitting around on the top deck under the hot sun as the ship makes it's way through rough seas....Then, years later, after several breakdowns, and stops at various ports for rest, recreation, and procreation, the leaky boat arrives in Australia, with news of a new boat arrival all over the wireless. After the media pack and the navy are finished dealing with the stowed away "boat people", the all-clear is given, and each and every bottlestore sends their youngest L-Plater staff member out in their own vehicle [1980 Datsun] to pick up as many cases of Peroni as their car can carry.

It's no wonder they switched to BUL...

I think this is why Italians invented the Bambino. Here's the latest shipment heading for the wharf.

earle

Postby jayse » Friday Dec 10, 2010 12:30 pm

classic, that about sums it up :lol:
jayse

Postby countie » Saturday Dec 18, 2010 9:40 am

I was in Italy last June and drank lots of Peroni as well as Moretti, I have been happily drinking both regularly since, bought another Peroni case yesterday, cracked one open !!!! tasted bland, checked bottle and found out that it was BUL. Called the rep in Australia, he happens to be a friend too, (I work in the trade), and he himself agreed to the disaster it is, and he has been inundated with complaints... Forget about the fresh beer versus the old beer, it only takes 30 days to reach Australia,and maybe another 2/4 weeks to reach your local bottle shop. It's about the quality of the WATER used in brewing.
Drop Peroni and get your local to buy Moretti; same price. While you are at it also drop Kronenbourg, Heineken, Becks and Stella.
Cheers
countie

Postby earle » Saturday Dec 18, 2010 3:12 pm

+1 on the Moretti. Much more flavoursome beer than Peroni IMO even before the BUL problem.
earle

Postby lob » Sunday Jan 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Just got back from Coles at Woden in Canberra....had a quick browse of the beers; Grolsch is now "Brewed Under Supervision..."

Pilsner Urquell will probably be next.
lob

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Feb 05, 2011 2:46 pm

lob wrote:Grolsch is now "Brewed Under Supervision..."

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Disgusting rubbish! Barely even resembles the real deal, in my honest opinion. I'm not sure if it is still true, but a little while ago it was that the crown sealed Grolsch were BUL(lcrap) and the swing-tops were still imported.

A couple of months ago I had bought a case of the crown sealed variety and knew something was a miss immediately. Upon finding the "brewed under license" drivel on the box (and nearly putting my fist through a wall) I took myself down to Woolies Liquor and picked up a 4-pack of the swing-tops. Side-by-side they were chalk and cheese.
bullfrog

Postby fidget » Saturday Mar 12, 2011 9:45 am

When my local wineshop told me of the change, I was dismayed as Peroni is my favourite drop.
Immediately after the change, although I did notice a difference, it was not enough to make me stop drinking it.
However the last slab I bought, the taste is totally different - the closest comparison would be Crown Lager with a light beer metallic aftertaste.
I have noticed that the use by date and batch number have changed from the back of the label to the one under the top of the bottle.
Upon complaining to my local wineshop I was informed that the original Italian Peroni as well as all the others (Heinekin, Grolsch, Stella etc) that are BUL can be obtained from a company called Kollaras who import a wide variety of beers, wines and spirits.
My local wineshop has stopped stocking all the BUL's and started obtaining the originals from Kollaras.
The best thing is that they are cheaper!
I suggest that everyone does the same and give the multinationals the flick.
fidget

Postby Oliver » Saturday Mar 12, 2011 11:02 am

Where's your local bottleshop, fidget?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby fidget » Saturday Mar 12, 2011 6:20 pm

I am in Kingscliff in NE NSW.

F.
fidget

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Mar 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Bit far away from me, unfortunately :-)

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby lob » Saturday Mar 19, 2011 4:02 pm

You can get 'Nastro Azzurro' [Peroni as labelled inside Italy] at Chifley 'Friendly Grocer' (Canberra) for $20 a six pack. It's imported by JJ Wholesale in Kingsgrove NSW. It's fresh too, the bottle I'm drinking now is BB 09/11.

Also, at Warramanga, the suburb next to Chifley, the IGA sells Imported Becks and Stella. Indeed, I don't think they stock any BUL beers. Maybe word is getting around and some of the smaller independent retailers (who are not 100% profit-driven price-gouging money-hungry grubs like the big retailers) are simply saying FU to Coca-Cola, Lion Nathan et al regarding their deceptive business practices. Wishful thinking perhaps...

Actually, both supermarkets sell their beer under the Local Liquor banner. I'm guessing IGA probably owns Friendly Grocer.
lob

Postby Tourist » Sunday Mar 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Apologies to the interstaters...

Lob, Cook IGA has an impressive range of imported beers, too (Belgians, British, and others not seen in Dan's, Plonk or other A.C.T. bottle shops). If you ever find yourself out that way, it's worth a look, but check the BB dates.
Back off man, I'm a tourist.
Tourist

Return to The beer you buy