Thunder Road Full Steam Pale Lager

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Thunder Road Full Steam Pale Lager

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jun 19, 2011 4:18 pm

I went along to the launch of this new beer at Beer de Luxe here in Melbourne on Thursday night (after which me and a mate hung around while the ladies went to see Kylie Minogue. But that's another story).

Thunder Road is based in Brunswick, in Melbourne's inner north.

I found it to be a pretty nice beer. It's an easy-drinking beer along the lines of a German pilsner, with a pleasant maltiness and bitterness. Certainly a big step up from megaswill and good for a hot summer's day (which it certainly was not in Melbourne on Thursday!).

But reckon they're going to struggle with the price point, which at Beer de Luxe was $7 a pot. When you put that next to some of the other beers on offer for a dollar or two extra (such as Brew Dog Nelson Sauvin IPA from Scotland (which is amazing, by the way) or a barrel-fermented Hop Hog from Feral in WA), I know where my money's going.

Of course, I wish the boys the best of luck and hope that I'm proved wrong, realising that I'm not exactly representative of the beer-drinking public.

Did anyone else go, or have you tried the Full Steam?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to The beer you buy