Yeastie Boys - Rex Attitude

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Yeastie Boys - Rex Attitude

Postby Madness » Sunday Jul 24, 2011 2:40 am

Has anyone else had the fortune to try the Rex Attitude brewed by New Zealand brewers Yeastie Boys?

it was on at the local a while back for their NZ Spectapular and it is the most interesting beer I have ever tried and it's a very love/hate beer.

From their webpage
They said it couldn't be done, that it would be undrinkable, that we couldn't use more than 5% heavy peated malt in a beer. So we carefully considered their advice and went with 100% instead. Rex Attitude is inspired by French techno and the whisky of Scotland's west coast. like the 'Auld Alliance' it combines a little Scottish rogue with a dose of French 'je ne sais quoi'. It is, as far as we know, the world's first beer made from 100% heavy peated distilling malt.

My friend who hated it has put it best as tasting like the smell of a bush fire but I love.
Madness

Re: Yeastie Boys - Rex Attitude

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jul 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Madness,

I haven't actually tried this, but they have it at Biero in Melbourne, where I was last night. If only you'd posted this 24 hours earlier I would've given it a try :wink:

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Will » Sunday Jul 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Very interesting beer. Tastes like an ash tray filled with water though.
Will

Postby Oliver » Monday Jul 25, 2011 12:34 am

Will wrote:Very interesting beer. Tastes like an ash tray filled with water though.

I'm intrigued! I'm back at Biero for lunch tomorrow so will try it. It'll be my third visit to Biero in five days!!! Being on annual leave is good, as is living five minutes' walk from Biero :D

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Will » Wednesday Aug 24, 2011 12:07 pm

I definitely recommend trying it. It was too peaty/smoky for me though and I did struggle to get through the whole beer.
Will

Return to The beer you buy