James Squire 150 Lashes Pale Ale

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Postby milliner1986 » Thursday Oct 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi brewers has anyone had the 150 lashes PA? I bought a box the other day and was quite impressed. Alcahol content a bit lower than normal but definately a nice drop.
milliner1986

Re: James Squire 150 Lashes Pale Ale

Postby bullfrog » Friday Oct 28, 2011 3:54 am

I thought it was pretty average. Bought a six pack a couple of weeks ago and half of it is still in the fridge. It's not that it's bad, I just found it to be another bland, inoffensive Aussie megaswill that they could've called "150 Lashes Pale Lager" and I'd have believed them.
bullfrog

Postby lob » Saturday Oct 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I walked into the bar at Ainslie shops (Canberra) a few weeks ago. I hadn't been there since they'd renovated. Anyways, what they now have on tap is the full JS range with the new wanky brand names. No Coopers Pale anymore. For plumbers, electricians (I know I'm stereotyping) they have Boags on tap. For people who like to support the "local microbrewery market" ROFLMAO they have the beer supposedly from that pub in Jindabyne. Anyways, the conversation goes like this:

Me: Er, um, where's Cooper Pale?

Barman: We've got the full JS range now. Have you tried their Pale?

Me: Nope

[barman pour me a sample]

Me: Ok, I guess

Me: I see you've got that Snowy Mountains Pale on tap. You know it's brewed in Sydney eh.

Barman: Yes but they also have a brewery in Jindabyne

Me: That's just for show. None of that beer is sold at Dan Murphys etc.

{Barman just gives me the "fuck-off-then-you-know-it-all-beer-snob" look

[I look over the counter and see Coopers Pale in bottles.]

Me: Oh, look, ah, I'll just have a stubbie of Coopers then

[barman opens and puts bottle on counter and gives me back $3.50 change from $10.00]

Me: Um, can I get a schooner with this?
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby milliner1986 » Sunday Oct 30, 2011 8:48 am

Hey I'm an electrician and I HATE boags your being tradist lol
milliner1986

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 30, 2011 1:18 pm

Having the JS range on tap is better than most places. Some forum members and I were stuck drinking Carlton Draught in Toukley last night until Jello shanghaid a cab that was just pulling away to take us to a pub in the next town that served JS beers. They might have gone downhill of late and started using shit yeast, less hops and more water but I'll still take anything JS over the standard array of bland malt waters that most places offer.

I'm just glad that we started the evening at Punter's shop; I highly rate the GA he has on tap currently!
bullfrog

Postby hirns » Sunday Oct 30, 2011 1:43 pm

milliner1986 wrote:Hi brewers has anyone had the 150 lashes PA? I bought a box the other day and was quite impressed. Alcahol content a bit lower than normal but definately a nice drop.

Had it on tap first and thought that it was above average. Bought a case and found it average.

Hirns
hirns

Postby lob » Sunday Oct 30, 2011 5:19 pm

I agree with you bullfrog. I was just in a bad mood when I saw they'd removed Coopers Pale. How dare they! But yeah, if you like JS, they've got about 6 of them on tap at Ainslie. And if you don't like JS, Boags and BUL-Pretend-Snowy-Mountains-Micro-Sydney beer are the only other tap options. They do have stubbies of Coopers for $6.50 though. :roll:
lob

Postby Gill » Monday Oct 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Stop your winging, where I'm from the only beers I've EVER seen on tap worth mentioning are coopers pale ale and fat yak. The rest comes from Dans

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-19.304475,146.793417
Cheers,
Gilly
Gill

Postby Spiderland » Saturday Nov 05, 2011 6:37 pm

I rated the Kosciuszko Pale Ale highly.
Spiderland

Postby lob » Sunday Nov 06, 2011 7:45 am

Spiderland wrote:I rated the Kosciuszko Pale Ale highly.

Well that's good. But it's brewed in some large brewery in Sydney, it's not a small microbrewery operation. What it is, is a small brewery operation in Jyndabyne that allows them to (i) supply their beer on tap in the pub, but also, far more importantly,(ii) allows them to get this beer mass produced in a large brewery in Sydney, and claim (with a disclaimer on the bottle in small print along the lines of 'Brewed at Jyndabyne and/or Under Licence...') that it's a microbrewery beer. When it's put into kegs and then distributed to pubs and bars, there's no disclaimer notice given to consumers. [Same applies to all the BUL "imported" beers on tap.]

According to the Dan Murphys website: "Brewed from the "highest brewery in Australia", Kosciuszko Pale Ale refreshes your palate...[bla bla bla]." In other words, what I'm saying, is that the brewery in Jyndabyne is just a front. People buy this beer in Canberra, Cooma, etc thinking it's part of the local micro brewery scene. It's not. It's fraud. A scam. It's a joke. Pathetic. I have no respect for bars/pubs that sell, and are therefore part of, this scam.

The funny thing is, when they were building the small brewery at that pub in Jyndabyne, I was looking forward to it. There's the other BUL Snowy Mountains BS beer, and I thought at last a real local product. What a joke. Anyways, I tried the real product, the one on tap in Jyndabyne, soon after they opened. What a disappointment; To me it tasted like flat, watered down LCPA. Actually the barman told me he preferred the bottled Sydney version.
lob

Postby Bum » Sunday Nov 06, 2011 11:12 am

All of that is entirely irrelevant. It is a boring, nothing beer. That is the bigger crime here.
Bum

Postby emnpaul » Sunday Nov 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Bum wrote:All of that is entirely irrelevant. It is a boring, nothing beer. That is the bigger crime here.

Seconded.

I don't really have a problem with contract or off premises brewing if it allows a brewer to get his product out to a wider market, provided that it's stated on the finished product in print large enough to read and not hidden somewhere down the bottom of the back label in print so small you'd need a microscope to read it.

Put your money on LCPA or LCBA instead, or better still brew some.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10487&p=106605&hilit=Boonies+LCPA#p106605
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Spiderland » Monday Nov 14, 2011 10:37 pm

When we had it in the pub where I work at it was never marketed as anything other than an alternative Pale Ale to LCPA/LCBA and JSGA.
Spiderland

Return to The beer you buy