CUB refresh their trademarks

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

CUB refresh their trademarks

Postby BribieG » Sunday Dec 11, 2011 8:03 am

Ballarat Bitter and Abbotts lager have apparently been rebrewed, to keep the trademarks.
Here in QLD CUB have rebrewed Brisbane Bitter and Bulimba Gold Top, in faithful replicas of the last cans in the series. Rather than just repackage VB they have made a fair fist of the brews (I'm old enough to remember both of them).

They are 4.9% ABV with a really good hopping rate. The Gold Top became the locally brewed Carlton Draught when CUB took over Bulimba in the 70s and I remember it well. Just to test if I was kidding myself I got a bottle of current Carlton Draught and did a side by side. No comparison. In fact the Gold top was so bitter and chewy I had trouble finishing the second can by sipping - this is a chugging beer 8)

Available Dan Murphys in QLD only till around Xmas

BribieG

Re: CUB refresh their trademarks

Postby big dave » Sunday Dec 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks for the heads-up BG.

Being a Ballarat boy originally, I will have to get me a slab of that!
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Re: CUB refresh their trademarks

Postby Oliver » Sunday Dec 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi BribieG,

Good to see you back :-)

I, too, noticed Abbots Lager and Ballarat Bitter when I was at Uncle Dan's the other day. I assumed that it was just a repackaged Carlton Draught, but based on your observations I will grab a can of each when next at Dan's and see what it's like.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to The beer you buy