So how did those beers get so bad?

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

So how did those beers get so bad?

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 7:05 am

Recently, we have had a few conversations as to the crap beer which is generated by the wonderfull brewers such as Anheiser Busch, Coors, Schlitz etc. Additionally, these weekend I fired up what could reportedly be an "American Steam Beer" and so it got me thinking, a sometimes painful process but it beats the hell out of studying for mid terms

The fact is, they really are bad beers and brewers and could be considered the "Satans" of the brewing industry, but my question that arises is how did that possible happen, I mean, come on, no one really goes out and buys cludge right. A true market would have killed these off a long time ago, instead they have become superpowers so to speak of the brewing industry while good beers seem to get trashed out of exsistance (That gin sing beer or what ever it was comes to mind, how can that possibly work?).

I have heard one theory suggest that they became bad because prohabition was on (Imagine voting for a government that bans booze, and they say I am high in wanting a three tier micro brew system.) followed by WW 1 which meant all the men were away or couldn't drink, which if you listen to different arguments if there was good beer, no one would want to fight.

The line of thinking was that women only wanted light low alcohol beer Anyway, this then lead to the little micros being shutdown while the big chains could weather the storm producing crap. When the war was over, the men could only have crap as that is all there was and the theory is a glass of crap is better than nothing, a point we could argue but sometimes it is beter not to chop off your nose to spite your face.

Nice theory and it explains the US market, but what about the rest of the world. Most of you heading into summer right now don't share that prohibition thing just like me and yet, still we have crap beer. Why? Today I would say it may be dollars but back when it was first being made I can't buy into the story. As a matter of fact some of our crappiest beer is the most expensive Mr. Molson and Mr. Labatt for example, the first owned by Coors, the second by Unibrew, the folks that bring me Fosters which is catered as being an Australian Tradition here in North America right up there with Koalas, Kangaroos and Waltzing Matilda. Never heard of Coopers here, always thought they made beer kits only and I only know that cause I brew them.

So folks put on the thinking caps and tell me how became brainwashed into accepting crap (I feel like I am in the Matrix one of a few that know the real story and want to get it out to the public but am being down trodden by wine coolers and gin sing beer)

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby rain » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 8:49 am

Obviously not the complete answer, but .......... in Australia breweries own many of the pubs so local drinkers drink what they get (as you suggested DD) - then there are the other types of 'contracted' supplies.
Shlitz, perhaps, was contracted to supply the US forces in Viet Nam, or armed forces suppliers were granted a taxation incentive.
Now, as we know, when anything is locked-in the manufacturer cuts corners if he gets greedy.
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby thehipone » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 12:46 pm

I've got a book on the history of brewing in Buffalo, NY, but it has a pretty comprehensive overview of the national brewing industry too. I'll give it a look when I get home.

I'm sure it's market forces, companies want the largest possible market for their product, so they make something that has a taste that will offend the fewest people. Anyone who has tried the micro or boutique beers has undoubtedly found something that they don't like.

I'm kinda partial to Molson. As far as your mainstream lagers go, it's really not that bad.

In australia, it seems that plenty of people blindly follow their local brand, and the marketing guys get lots of credit here for doing their job. My one housemate refuses to even try my homebrew in lieu of XXXX. (The other housemate I have to ration or else he'd drink it all before I got any)
and I think there's lots of people like that with VB or Carlton Draught and would drink it no matter what it tasted like.
thehipone

Postby Longbeach Brewer » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 10:20 pm

I blame the advertising guys...
Look at all the big advertisers; McDonalds (yuk), Coca Cola (yuk), Crap Breweries (yuk)... Without advertising, why the hell would you touch ANY of these products?
Put a nice pair of tits, or blokes doing blokie things on the TV screen, and your average punter who doesn't like being challenged or made to think for himself, will drink whatever you tell him to.
As a LOT of the yanks I've met easily fit the mould of not liking being challenged or made to think, it goes without saying that they'll drink whatever cat's piss you put in front of them. This goes for red-neck XXXX or VB drinking aussies too... Hence, the brilliant range of festering malt based liquids being sold under the banner of beer.
OK, so I blame the advertising guys AND red-necks. Also Rain's comments on breweries owning pubs hold water too.
I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings...
Longbeach Brewer

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 10:53 am

Interesting comment by Rain regarding breweries owning pubs and therefore drinkers having to accept whatever is served up to them.

Could this be the reason that Cooper's brews beer that actually tastes nice? They never owned any pubs, so if they wanted to sell beer they had to make it taste good so people would ask for it in pubs that were owned by another brewery.

As an aside, the fact that Cooper's didn't own pubs is one of the reasons often given for their remaining independent: because they didn't own pubs, they weren't an attractive takeover target for the big, bad breweries.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby rain » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 2:34 pm

..... takovers, yes! That is one more reason for change. Cairns Brewery produced marvelous beer until CUB tookover (circa 1950s/1960s) but was not sold the recipe. Then the named "Cairns Beer" was almost ignored - the last time I tasted it, I left the glass almost full on the bar and walked. The lesson: maybe the CUB recipe suits the water of Melbourne but not of Cairns.
The local water is, obviously, a taste we grow-up with so when it's converted to beer we tend not to notice - visitors do, and if the beer is exported then so too is the taste, BUT MORE PARTICULARLY the water smell goes too, and I reckon it can be a put-off.
How many persons you offer a homebrew to DO NOT smell it long and hard before sipping? The same person willl walk into a bar and gulp a brand beer without concern. :roll:
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Marty » Thursday Oct 28, 2004 2:34 pm

Another thing to consider is cultural influences. People drink VB because their Dad drank it and his Dad drank it. It's the typical Aussie thing to drink VB. If you are celebrating an occasion then splash out on "Australia's Finest" Crown Lager. This is deeply imbedded in our culture. Look at the brilliant marketing that goes with VB. "A hard earned thirst needs a big cold beer" with stirring music behind it and scenes of real Aussie blokes working and sweating in our big brown land dressed in their Hard Yakka shorts and Bonds singlets. Like Maccas VB always delivers the same taste. Everyone knows Maccas food is pretty ordinary but you can go there pay your $5.95 and get a value meal and walk out knowing you got what you paid for. It's the same with VB. It's not that good but it always delivers the same taste and flavour.

As far as owning pubs goes. Tooheys foray into the Melbourne market where they bought a whole lot of pubs and forced drinkers there to drink only Tooheys New on tap failed dismally. After only two years Tooheys sold most of the pubs as punters voted with their feet and went elsewhere where they could get their pot of VB or draught.

Marty
Marty

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 28, 2004 9:13 pm

Interesting comment about Dad drinking it. Here in Canada, if Dad drank it it must be kife, ie, Dad drank 50, got to be bad so I drank Canadian, new kiddies to the beer are switching to 50 cause Canadian is now an old mans beer. Hope they never find my tap, anyone who drinks room temp 50 would suck a mean dogs bone.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Guest » Friday Oct 29, 2004 10:19 am

According to the "Jolly Good Ale and Old" book, Coopers Brewery had ownership of the following premises with the object of establishing places to dispense their draught beers: Earl of Aberdeen. Duck Inn, Directors Hotel and Aussie Inn.
The Earl Of Aberdeen was owned by Coopers Brewery for the longest period: 1986 - 1998

Return to The beer you buy