Crackenback

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Crackenback

Postby Polar » Saturday Feb 11, 2006 3:54 pm

G'day All
Just tried one of the Crackenback Pale Ales - must say not impressed- too heavy ,for my liking, on the old POR hops. The beer is supposedly brewed with the pristine waters of the Snowy river. It is made by Bluetongue Brewey up Newcastle way - they must truck the water up their :wink: - will be interested to know what other people think and by the way it retails for about $60 a case
regards
Polar

Deja Voodoo the feeling we've killed this chicken before
Polar

Re: Crackenback

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Apr 10, 2008 10:24 am

I had one of thee not long ago, & it wasn't bad really, even though I'd prefer to get some 3 Ravens instead.
The Snowy Charlotte's Hefe was better in my opinion.
Snowdog

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Had a couple the other night and i liked them oh and i doubt that it was POR you could taste, the label specifically states chinook for bittering and amarillo and cascade for flavour, aroma etc. Brewd by Snowy Mountain Brewery in crows nest north sydney!!
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Will » Monday Mar 30, 2009 10:10 am

I've always enjoyed a few crackenbacks as far as pale ales go, although I prefer the American styles. I've gotta echo lethaldog too, that's definitely chinook hops as far as the bittering.

Whilst we're on the SMB, anyone tried the Razorback?
Will

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Mar 30, 2009 10:47 am

Razorback won the Champion Barley Wine trophy at this years AIBA. This beer also won Feral the Champion Exhibitor award for highest scoring exibit (best beer in show)!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Alt » Thursday May 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Tried it for the first time last night "not impressed" was my first thought also. Pleased I only bought one to sample instead of a sixer.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
Alt

Postby corks » Saturday May 09, 2009 5:57 pm

the razorback is the only Snowy Mountains brew I rate. just curious Kevnlis, the barley wine trophy isn't one for true barley wines is it? cos razorback sure isn't one.
corks

Return to The beer you buy