Nasties in beer

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Nasties in beer

Postby Billy » Tuesday Jun 06, 2006 8:27 am

I had an experience at a local pup a while back where I was sitting down having a couple of coldies after work, like you do, and just got to the bottom of my second scooie and wouldn't you know it a cockroach egg. As I am sure I didn't order a meal with my beer I was quite angry.I am no longer allowed into that pup for a year or so anyway. Any one else had something in there beer they didn't order?
Billy

Postby da_damage_done » Tuesday Jun 06, 2006 9:45 am

Which pub?
da_damage_done

Postby Billy » Tuesday Jun 06, 2006 10:52 am

I can't name the place as new owners since I last visited and would not be fair to them, sorry.
If at first you don't succeed use a hammer!
Billy

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jun 17, 2006 5:16 pm

These things happen. I wouldn't overreact.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby blandy » Saturday Jun 17, 2006 6:12 pm

Overeacting is unneccissary.

On the other hand, if you can get a free beer out of it...
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jun 17, 2006 6:17 pm

blandy wrote:... if you can get a free beer out of it...

You won't get any arguments from me there :wink:

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday Jun 18, 2006 12:30 am

Really things like that are bound to happen from time to time. The best course of action is to let them know that this cockroach egg got past their cleaning process, any good pub will do their best to remedy the problem.

What is worse is when they have incompentent bar staff. Today I order a schooner of James Squire Amber Ale and the bartender poured it so badly that the beer went flat almost immediately. It takes effort to pour a beer so it goes flat so quickly.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Beerdrinker32 » Sunday Oct 08, 2006 12:59 am

Could someone please enlighten me as to what the hell is in BINTANG??? after the third longie you can definately feel the effect of something other than alcohol???? or is it spending too much time in the indo heat?
Beerdrinker32

Re: Nasties in beer

Postby NBD » Sunday Nov 19, 2006 10:38 am

Billy wrote:I had an experience at a local pup a while back where I was sitting down having a couple of coldies after work, like you do, and just got to the bottom of my second scooie and wouldn't you know it a cockroach egg. As I am sure I didn't order a meal with my beer I was quite angry.I am no longer allowed into that pup for a year or so anyway. Any one else had something in there beer they didn't order?

Hang on they banned you from the pub after they were negligent? My guess is that if you wanted to you could sue them and use the Donoghue v Stevenson case. You didn't know that the cockroach egg was in it, right?
Alcohol I drink:
Baileys
Tia
Sambucca
Jim Beam
Wild Turkey
NBD

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Nov 19, 2006 10:53 am

From the sounds of it, a one year ban would only be warranted if he smashed the barman/owner over the head with his bar stool or simmilar, maybe even smashing up some of the property or just very aggressive foul language!!!!!

Not making any accusations of course but i know what i would feel like doin if this happened to me, not that it ever has..

I guess the moral of this story is bottoms up and eyes closed, once the last drop goes down hand the glass back and be none the wiser :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
lethaldog

Postby Anzac Cookies » Sunday Nov 19, 2006 7:41 pm

NBD wrote:Hang on they banned you from the pub after they were negligent? My guess is that if you wanted to you could sue them and use the Donoghue v Stevenson case. You didn't know that the cockroach egg was in it, right?

The good ole Donaghue vs Stevenson those were the days, brings back memories :cry:
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby Oliver » Saturday Nov 25, 2006 8:40 am

NBD wrote:
Billy wrote:I had an experience at a local pup a while back where I was sitting down having a couple of coldies after work, like you do, and just got to the bottom of my second scooie and wouldn't you know it a cockroach egg. As I am sure I didn't order a meal with my beer I was quite angry.I am no longer allowed into that pup for a year or so anyway. Any one else had something in there beer they didn't order?

Hang on they banned you from the pub after they were negligent? My guess is that if you wanted to you could sue them and use the Donoghue v Stevenson case.

Ah, that would depend, would it not?

On my reading of it you wouldn't need to use the principles of the "snail in the bottle" case, by which the Donoghue v Stevenson case is widely known.

If Billy was drinking from a glass (presumably provided by the pub) and that glass was the source of the cockroach egg, the duty of care is wholely and solely on the owner of the pub to ensure that the glass is clean. In that case there would be no third party (as in the case of the snail in the bottle) to extend the duty of care to.

Of course, if you could prove the cockroach egg came from the keg or bottle from which the beer was dispensed, that would be an entirely different matter :wink:

If anyone's interested in the slightest in what the hell we're talking about, have a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donoghue_v._Stevenson

It's actually one of the most famous cases in common law.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby cpd » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 3:27 pm

I had a cockroach in a stubbie the other week, didn't see him till it hit my teeth and I spat it back in the bottle.
I'm now looking for some clear stubbie holders and another beer manufacturer, might have to read thru this site some more and brew myself
cheers
cpd

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 3:42 pm

What sort of beer was it? I can not see how a cockroach would end up in a megaswill bottle. Possible I guess from one of the smaller micros that hand bottle or use the older lines.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby cpd » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 3:59 pm

A major brewery in Perth
cpd

Postby rwh » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Why so coy?
w00t!
rwh

Postby cpd » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Still trying to get free beer out of them, current offer 2 cartons
cpd

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 4:42 pm

2 cartons? Surely they jest! You could have them shut down for something like that, probably not permanently, but I would imagine the health department would want to have a good look!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby cpd » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 5:05 pm

No jesting here, They thought one would be enough
Now I'm not greedy but the way I look at it is..........How much would you drink a beer with a roach in it?.....Well thats how I have put it to them, and that I didn't have a choice
I haven't been poisoned or anything like that, infact I quite happierly drank the rest of the carton, but now I find myself checking stubbies and using holders with no bottom
I am annoyed at their response although it's to be expected

I was thinking maybe http://www.cockroachinabottleof***********.com
cpd

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Feb 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Dry reach stuff that :shock:

Two cartons is crap thinking how much it costs them to brew it...........

I think that you should go back and ask them what they would expect if it happened to them personally
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Next

Return to The beer you buy