Not a good beer to be had ...

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Not a good beer to be had ...

Postby Oliver » Friday Sep 03, 2004 6:08 pm

Is there anything worse than going to a restaurant and having to choose between beers that are all as bad as each other?

I tend to find that Asian and Italian restaurants (at least here in Australia) are the worst offenders.

Let's try and shame restaurants and cafes into providing a decent selection of beers.

My first nomination is not a restaurant, but Australian airline Virgin Blue.

The beers available on its flights are Victoria Bitter, Sterling light and Crown Lager. All terrible in my view.

Does anyone else have a nomination?
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Matty » Wednesday Sep 08, 2004 10:24 pm

Not so much a restaurant, but most pubs I've been to have something dodgey on tap (as most pub probably have similar) ie; V.B., Carlton Draught. Although I'm lucky enough to have a local pub which has Stella Artois on tap!! mmmmmmmm Stella........... If I wanna go for a 1/2 hr drive I can have a local brew, Holgates (made in Woodend, Vic) on tap. Thinking about it, now I kinda feel spoilt.........
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby morry » Saturday Sep 11, 2004 11:10 pm

Well, at all the local pubs around here, you have a choice between carlton draught and vb. No wonder heaps of people drink premixed spirits.
And matty, I wish I had some of the holgate beers on tap around here!! I reckon theyre a great range.
morry

Postby Marty » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 3:43 pm

The best thing about the Holgate brewhouse is they have two of their own beers on hand pumped taps for that "authentic" English experience. Last time I was there they had a brilliant dark ale on tap which went well with my steak and dark ale pie.

Marty
Marty

Postby Matty » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 8:06 pm

That'd be the Winter Ale, I think they only brew it for a few weeks each year, then that's it 'til next year. It's worth the wait tho.

Cheers

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Good beer story

Postby Oliver » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 10:37 am

Now for a good beer selection.

This one's from Saragossa, a restaurant I went to recently in Richmond, Victoria, Australia.

There's one bad beer (VB) on the list, and one that I don't rate highly (Boag's Premium). But you can overlook those given the other good, rare and interesting beers on the list.

Sydney Champagne Cider
Cascade Premium Light
Victoria Bitter
Boags Premium Lager
Cooper's Sparkling Ale
Cooper's Pale Ale
Blue Tongue Lager
Jamieson's Brown Ale
Stella Artois
Asahi
Alhambra 1925 Riserva
Velkopopovicky Kozel
Chimay Blue
Schofferhofer Hefeweizen

Now, if only other restaurants would follow the lead.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:53 am

I am thinking the Blue may be a bit much for a restaurant.

Just me though, maybe I should paint a target on my forehead

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 6:10 pm

If you're in Perth drop in to the Paddington Ale House in Mt Hawthorn. They have over 110 beers available, at least 10 on tap! Great pub with top food as well!!
They even have a club for those who have drubk them all!

I maneged it when it was on 81 beers to get through, did it with a mate in two sessions, had ato have a two week break in between to get money together for round two.

GRabman
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Antsvb » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 9:00 pm

Grabman,

Was fairly impressed with Bobby Dazzlers Alehouse on a recent trip to Perth. They would have had at least 10 on tap although missed out on the'Nail Ale'.

Oliver,

Supprised with your mention of Blue Tongue. Have not enjoyed it recently, especially for a local drop.
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Postby Oliver » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 9:17 pm

Antsvb,

Ah yes, I should probably try the Blue Tongue before saying it's a good thing to have on a beer list!

No good, you don't reckon?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:13 pm

Oliver,

I don't mean to give this stuff a bad name but its pretty high octane. If you are at a restaurant having a big heavy beer it may detract from the meal. Thats all I am saying.

On a personal note I am not a Chimnay fan and as you can tell I am not a fan of the unibrew gang either (End of the World and Satan Beer). I guess I am just not fond of 11 percent beer.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:14 pm

Antsvb, Yep Dazzlers is okay, but not as good as Paddo,! just my thoughts though!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Feb 04, 2005 10:23 am

And really, I have no idea what I am talking about :lol: :oops:

So I am just going to shut up now
:oops:

I must have been chewing on the wifes Codine tabs

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Antsvb » Sunday Feb 06, 2005 9:31 am

Oliver,

Yeah my few tries of Blue Tongue have resulted in me drinking murky off tasting water.

Could just be me, like to know what anyone else thinks.
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Postby Jay » Monday Feb 07, 2005 10:47 am

The Thai restaurant in our apartment block has

ON TAP
James Squire Amber Ale
Bluetongue Lager
Bluetingue Ginger Ale
New
VB
Carlton Draught

Bottles
An extensive range (too many to remember off the top of the head) but include Coopers Pale and Sparkling Ales as well as a number of Thai and SE Asian beers including Singha Beer.

Jay.
Jay

Postby Oliver » Monday Feb 07, 2005 11:19 am

That's amazing!

I find that Asian and Italian restaurants tend to have the crappiest beer lists on earth.

Your local deserves a medal!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Feb 07, 2005 11:56 am

Guys

Come to Canada,

You are sure to be disappointed

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby GTI86 » Monday Feb 07, 2005 12:59 pm

the parkview in brunswick has - had>?coppers on tap I used to go there
alot tops on uni night or hospitality night
GTI86

Postby rain » Monday Feb 07, 2005 1:07 pm

It's NOT my idea, but I did read in a news paper that semi-classical music played in the background of restraunts has proven to increase the sales of wine, particularly reds.
I told a restrauant owner friend and she now, after eight month, agrees. Last month I suggested offering 'free' a taste of home brew beers to newly arriving patrons - MANY did not enjoy the experience, saying they'd prefer a gratis sherry. The owner rejected that idea! But quite a few (including a couple of shielas) asked about 'difficulties' and 'costs' associated with home-brewing.
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby gregb » Sunday Mar 20, 2005 8:18 am

At the Australian international Airshow the beer choice was VB or Stirling lite. Both in cans. I went to the next tent for a cup of coffee.

Greg.
gregb

Next

Return to The beer you buy