Not a good beer to be had ...

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Mar 20, 2005 9:30 am

Likely saved a packet to

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Oscar » Friday Jun 02, 2006 12:14 am

Guys, I could not whole-heartedly agree with you more about this topic. I also agree that asian & Italian restaurants are serial offenders of dishing up crap beer like VB Sterling & Crown - like dishwater to me.
Oscar

Postby Oscar » Friday Jun 02, 2006 12:18 am

BTW, I think I found the mecca of beer entusiasts.
Was in Sydney last week & ended up at a funk bar called Equilibrium which is on george St in the CBD. In the ground floor on Ernst & Yound building.

Anyway, get this... 50 beers, all on their own tap on one wall.

I nearly died & went to heaven.

My fave beer is St Arnou - Cloudy.
Only got thru a handful of schoners (@ $7.50 a pop :shock: ), so not sure what else they had there.

Worth a look just for the drool factor alone.
Oscar

Postby Mewshew » Friday Jun 02, 2006 9:58 am

Went to an italian restaurant last week. Best beer they had was Cascade Premium. Had one and then stuck to water.

Very happy with my local pubs though. There's about 3 in all that I frequent and all 3 recently got Coopers on tap and my favourite one is soon to get Little Creatures Pale Ale on tap too.
Mewshew

Postby corks » Saturday Jun 03, 2006 4:42 pm

bloody country victoria, nothing good on tap at all, except the local club which has guiness...everything else has flipping carlton draught. can't wait til i'm in melbs.
corks

Postby Rob E » Saturday Jun 03, 2006 5:12 pm

Gents, i am in trouble tonight, my partners sisters 21st birthday.....its all catered and we have the stirling selection of VB and New :twisted: its free after all though 8)
Nama dai kudasai!
Rob E

Postby Iron-Haggis » Saturday Jun 03, 2006 5:26 pm

I get stuck with that New and VB selection at my cricket presentations. It is also free there, but still can't wait to get downstairs and get stuck into $3.50 schooners of Guiness.

I've found that James Squire Amber Ale is popping up in quite a few restaurants lately.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Wassa » Saturday Jun 03, 2006 7:43 pm

could have been worse. I went to a catered do fo a relo in laws engagement and all the had was resch's and vb.

Thank god the father in law was coming and he can't drink store bought beer for health reasons (the sulfides as a preservative) so I was forced to take along an esky of home brew for him and myself.

The number of people that asked to share the brew was amazing and then very shitty when i told them all to f off.

My father and i had a top nite all nite and woke up hangover free.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby Iron-Haggis » Saturday Jun 03, 2006 11:14 pm

How is that worse? You got to have homebrew ya lucky bastard.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Wassa » Sunday Jun 04, 2006 10:06 am

I wasn't complaining, the others were, especially the people that 'hate homebrew' and wanted to drink it in preference to the slop.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jun 04, 2006 12:40 pm

I believe I have an undisputed winner for the worst beer list.

'Er indoors and I found ourselves on the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant (http://www.tramrestaurant.com.au) in Melbourne on Friday night (it was a birthday present given to the missus (not by me), so don't give me a hard time).

The beer selection: Crown Lager or Sterling Light.

In light of the fact that it's not possible to get an any worse beer list than this (no beer may well be preferable), I reckon we can just about declare a winner.

Oliver

By the way, the Tramcar Restaurant was experience was good, apart from the aforementioned beer selection, the music (which included the Seekers and the Beatles!!!) and the drapes hanging over the windows that came down almost to my eye level, thus obscuring any view higher than the windows of the shops we were passing.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Simo » Sunday Jun 04, 2006 1:35 pm

i love that dinner tram. does the city circle just as i'm finishing my courier rounds for the day. Makes it so much easier on my legs at the end of a long day on that last delivery or two, just hang on and cruise along untill a newer, faster tram appears up a head then go grab that one :D
Simo

Re: Not a good beer to be had ...

Postby Oliver » Monday Mar 10, 2008 10:17 am

I think I have a winner.

I went to Abla's in Elgin Street, Carlton, the other night for dinner. Food was amazing and I recommend it to anyone who's looking for some good middle-eastern food.

But how's this for a beer list: Crown Lager, Pure Blonde, Cascade Light and ... nothing else! I'd be surprised if there's a worse beer list anywhere on Earth!

In Abla's defence, it has only recently got a licence and it is BYO wine and beer, which is a big positive, as most joints don't allow BYO beer. Also, the wine list is OK, and the food is fabulous.

Can anyone better (or worse?) that beer list?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Will » Monday Mar 10, 2008 10:49 am

Going to venues for the rugby and such always presents a list of carbonated urine labeled as beer.

Last time I went to the Gabba for a rugby game the beers on offer were XXXX bitter, XXXX gold or VB.

I was actually hoping there would be a carlton draught or tooheys new around, I can at least drink them if there is nothing better on offer.
Will

Postby Boonie » Monday Mar 10, 2008 11:33 am

Not a restaurant either, but Newcastle ISC....um, Marathon stadium.....hang on, what's it called now....ahh Energy Australia stadium has nothing but Blue Tongue products.

Blue Tongue Lager, Hunter Draught (ex blue tongue draught), and Hunter Old.

I go the black as it is better than the Lager and the Draught is atrocious....and I really mean atrocious. Worst commercial beer I have had.......ever.

Dare I say it, WORSE THAN VB :shock: ....IMO of course.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Tim... » Monday Mar 10, 2008 5:05 pm

I think I found possibly the greatest fish and chip shop in victoria the other day. Right next to gardenvale station, can't remember its name. Went in one night to grab some dinner before walking across the road to a 50th. Looked to the back of the shop and saw a fridge full of german beers, complete with proper glassware for each beer. So I had a nice fish and chip dinner along with an erdinger hefe and dunkel. Then headed off to the party supplied with megaswill (but a few cases of LCPA put aside for the bday person, his son, and me! As we seem to be the only ones in this world with a taste in beer). Twas a good night :)
Tim...

Postby Iron-Haggis » Monday Mar 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Sporting venues are the worst. When I venture out to Parramatta Stadium (One of few venues not to be stripped of it's name) all I have to choose from is Tooheys New on tap or Tooheys Extra Dry poured from a can into a plastic cup. I also heard at the SCG at the cricket the selection is VB Midstrength and Cascade Light.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby petesbrew » Tuesday Mar 11, 2008 7:34 am

I love looking at the beers on the menu but am most often disappointed with the usual selections.
My wife and I usually just share a bottle of wine (I'd rather wine than a vb/new/light/draught thanks).
At a viet restaurant in newtown recently I found one I'd never tried before, a 333.
Damn it was sooo good. Washed down the salt & pepper calamari beautifully!
I'm looking forward to a holiday to vietnam now to try that.
petesbrew

Postby James L » Tuesday Mar 11, 2008 9:46 am

Why does it always seem that when you go to a wedding, you get supplied with shit beer... And because its in jugs, you dont know what it is unless you ask.

I went to a wedding last December, and the groom (supposedly a good mate) supplied everyone with Emu Export. which is one of the worst beers in WA (maybe even Australia). Because i had suggested the location of the reception, he said he'd dish out stella to me all night, but it didnt happen. I only suggested the location of the reception for hte view of the river nad the city, and i didnt know anything about what beer he had planned to serve.

Went to another wedding last weekend and the same sort of thing happened... we got given TEDs all night to drink... its a little hard to swallow (excuse the pun) when you've been at the pub down the road for the 3 hours beforehand drinking pints of JSAA and Hoffbrauhaus waiting for the reception to start.

The only truely good beer i've had at a wedding was the one that my mate had where he bought the beer himself. And he went to town with the selection. Hoegaarden, Leffe, JSGA, Rogers, JS pils, LCPA, among others.

I have another weeding coming up in October, and i have a feeling that the beer is going to be a choice between tooheys new or cascade premo. :?
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby gregb » Tuesday Mar 11, 2008 10:53 am

Just take your portakeg in a chiller bag. :wink:

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

PreviousNext

Return to The beer you buy