Not a good beer to be had ...

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Re: Not a good beer to be had ...

Postby gregb » Monday Dec 12, 2011 6:05 pm

The minibar: Cascade Light($4.50), VB($6) or Crown ($8). Rang room service, no joy.

Put my sneakers back on and legged it to a nearby bottlo for a couple of Coopers Sparkings. ($3.95).
gregb

Postby rotten » Monday Dec 12, 2011 11:03 pm

gregb wrote:The minibar: Cascade Light($4.50), VB($6) or Crown ($8). Rang room service, no joy.

Put my sneakers back on and legged it to a nearby bottlo for a couple of Coopers Sparkings. ($3.95).

Gotta hate that!
I was in adelaide for the foo fighters last monday, the mini bar had some coopers for $6.50, low carb for $7.50, or a 200ml white or red wine for $9.00. At least they had coopers.

At the concert I paid $34 for 4 west end draught, you heard right. That's $8.50 a cup :shock: And it's west end
I should have drank more at the mini bar, also waited over half an hour in line. No wait at mini bar, just a nagging wife :twisted:
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby barrelboy » Tuesday Dec 13, 2011 5:37 am

Hell $8.50 a drink!! :shock: West End is undrinkable free!
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I had a work dinner last night at Riva in St Kilda, here in Melbourne.

Food was fantastic, venue was great, beer choice was absolutely woeful.

Here's what I remember: BUL Heineken and Beck's on tap and in bottles, various takes on the "blonde" theme, Crown Lager. There were various other beers along the same lines i.e. crap, tasteless lagers. They probably had VB stubbies, but I would have blocked that from my memory. Get the picture?

I drank real Italian Peroni (which sadly didn't taste as fresh as it might have) and James Squire Amber Ale, which is not my favourite beer but was the best of a bad bunch. They also had Guinness in cans. And that's as good as it got on the beer front. So let's say they had 15 beers. That means 12 were rubbish lagers. Not good enough, methinks.

There was a bottle of Craft Brewery Athens Lager from Greece in the fridge, but apparently that was not for sale and was given to the bar by a rep to see if they liked it and were interested stocking it. I've had it before and it's actually not a bad beer. So don't expect to see it on the Riva beer list.

I have now been there four years running for the Chrismas work do and it's been the same sea of beer blandness appealing to the bogan masses every time.

It's a real shame because the quality of the beer offerings lets down what was otherwise a fabulous night.

Wow, I think I'm morphing into lob from over on this thread :D

Rant over.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 4:17 pm

At least you had a couple of acceptable offerings. My work xmas party was on Saturday night and the beer choice was so poor that I drank cider albeit five seeds than strongbow, oh the shame. What really annoys me is that they claim to be a 4star restaurant and offer a wide selection of wines but sh#t beer selection.
earle

Postby lob » Wednesday Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am

Oliver wrote:Wow, I think I'm morphing into lob...

You say that like it's a bad thing ;-)

Quote:
"Not that I'm complaining. Can't bear that whole Grumpy strand in TV. Grumpy Old Men & Grumpy Christmas now. F off & learn to smile, tossers" - Stephen Fry about 20 hours ago on twitter.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Dec 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Try Feddish at Fed SQ. Beer menu looks like tap selection at a poor mans pub thats full of pokies...

"hmmmm I'll just have a coke thanks" :? ......
"Sorry sir we just have Pepsi" :D ............................... :shock: :shock: :shock:
"The shiraz please......"
chadjaja

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jul 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I think we might have a winner.

Last week when I was in Auckland I went to an Indian restaurant on K Road that had the following beer list:

• Light beer (can't remember the brand, but does it really matter?)
  • Kingfisher
  • Tiger
Now, if that's not the worst beer list I don't know what is.

If anyone thinks they have a better contender, I'd be glad to hear from them!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Jul 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Oliver wrote:I think we might have a winner.

Last week when I was in Auckland I went to an Indian restaurant on K Road that had the following beer list:

• Light beer (can't remember the brand, but does it really matter?)
  • Kingfisher
  • Tiger
Now, if that's not the worst beer list I don't know what is.

If anyone thinks they have a better contender, I'd be glad to hear from them!

Cheers,

Oliver

I feel your pain, but 90% of Australian pubs and clubs would do no better!
The best thing about Auckland is the sight of it in the rearview mirror. Good eh, bro? And, yes, I've spent quite a bit of time in AK.
warra48

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Dec 04, 2012 6:24 pm

The bar fridge in the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Canberra is another strong candidate for worst beer list ever:
  • Crown Lager (x2).
  • Cascade Light (x1).
And the room service menu isn't far behind, I'm afraid:
  • Crown Lager.
  • Cascade Light.
  • Corona.
  • Pure Blonde.
  • Peroni (I didn't even bother checking whether it was BUL or the real thing).
So it was a rare glass of wine for me.

On the positive front, the Wig & Pen is about 10 minutes by foot. That might be tomorrow night's adventure.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby lob » Tuesday Dec 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Don't bother either with the pub in Gundaroo. (About 20mins drive North of Canberra.) I went there the other day. NOTHING drinkable on tap and Coopers Pale in bottles @ $7.50 each. I think the cider my wife had was around $8. Pricks.

(Grazing Restaurant, just down the road from the pub is excellent though, with v good food and Zeirholz on tap.)
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby Mad Dog » Wednesday Dec 05, 2012 2:46 am

So Fosters isn't the defining moment in beer down there?
Mad Dog

Postby earle » Wednesday Dec 05, 2012 8:48 am

Mad Dog wrote:So Fosters isn't the defining moment in beer down there?

Hahahahaha. No-one drinks fosters here, that's why it all gets exported.
earle

Postby Mad Dog » Wednesday Dec 05, 2012 9:01 am

LOL!!! I'm glad to hear that. I was a teenager when the Flying Circus did a drinking song spoof of Ausies, perhaps you ate familiar with it. They were tossing Fosters out to the audience. (No, I was not in the audience... Saw it on tv.) So... U got hold of a couple Fosters and I must say,,, its CRAP!!!! I am so glad to hear that no one drinks it.

I live in the Columbia River Gorge. We have several (almost too many) microbrews in the area. Beer is a big deal here. If you've heard a Wyeast... That's made here too. The mountain on the label is Mt Hood, which the natives call Wyeast. So its a pun.
Mad Dog

Postby Oliver » Thursday Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm

We went on a winery tour the other weekend to the Yarra Valley near Melbourne and had lunch at Fergusson Winery. They may not have the world's worst beer list, given the presence of Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale, but it sure is weird.

It's astounding that a winery clearly doesn't take its beers seriously at all.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Apr 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Oliver wrote:We went on a winery tour the other weekend to the Yarra Valley near Melbourne and had lunch at Fergusson Winery. They may not have the world's worst beer list, given the presence of Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale, but it sure is weird.

It's astounding that a winery clearly doesn't take its beers seriously at all.

Their contempt of beer is evident when they list something called "Low Carb." Don't worry about listing what the beer actually is, guys, I'm sure the Jenny Craig lot will jump at something called "Low Carb."

Arseholes.
bullfrog

Postby big dave » Friday Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm

They want you to drink the wine. :wink:
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby Paley » Saturday Mar 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Are we all beer snobs? just joking. Going on a cruise soon, and checked out the beer menu, dammit, no Coopers Ales, what's everyones thoughts on this list we're likely to be offered on board; Amstel Light $6.95Blue Moon Belgian Ale  $6.95Bud Light (16oz)  $7.25Budweiser (16oz)  $7.25Coors Light (16oz)  $7.25Corona Extra  $6.95Dos Equis  $6.95Heineken  $6.95Michelob Ultra (16oz)  $7.25Miller Lite (16oz)  $7.25Paulaner Weiss  $6.95Red Stripe  $6.95
Paley

Postby earle » Tuesday Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Pretty sad selection. Haven't had the Blue Moon but I think that I heard its not that great. Paulaner Weiss could be the option, especially if its a 500ml bottle. I'm not into cruising but a friend that went reckoned that beer was expensive on the boat so he just chose to drink something else for a comparable price. He's not really into beer anyway though.
earle

Postby Guru » Thursday Mar 16, 2017 7:37 am

Looks like a pretty average list to me. I know Paulaner Pilsener is great so the Weiss might be a good option. Seems pretty pricey too seeing as you already pay a small fortune to go on the boat. Blue Moon is ok but nothing outstanding.
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to The beer you buy