I am heartened

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

I am heartened

Postby Oliver » Sunday Feb 13, 2005 6:47 pm

Well,

Today two things happened to restore my faith in the drinking public.

First, my wife asked me to pick up a six-pack on the way to meet her at the Midsumma festival in Melbourne. So I dropped past Young and Jackson on the way. There was a queue to the bottleshop, because as it turns out it was a particular busy day. When my turn came (there was a bouncer at the door regulating entry from the street to the bottleshop), I entered and was pleased to see that almost every beer except Foster's and Pure Blonde was sold out. There were only a few decent beers left, including about five stubbies of Cooper's Sparkling, one stubby of Cooper's Pale Ale and a bit of Little Creatures Pale Ale.

(As an aside, a guy (obviously on his way to the Midsumma gay festival) picked up a six-pack of Pure Blonde and said he was going to drink some "Gay Beer"!)

I picked up a six-pack of Melbourne Bitter and was on my way (after 25 minutes in the queue, mind you).

After that six-pack of Melbourne was consumed, we went to the bar at the Midsumma festival. I was heartened to see that only one shelf in one of the five fridges (so about one shelf out of 40) was taken up with Pure Blonde. Obviously the drinking public is shunning it for the crap beer that it is.

I'm now drinking a Cooper's Heritage Ale. Sooooo much better.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm pissed :oops:

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby ghost » Sunday Feb 13, 2005 10:18 pm

Well Oliver I went to the bottle shop the other week and I saw the pure blonde on the shelves and as I am always keen to try new beers I thought I would give this one a go.
I asked the bottle shop dude if he had tasted it and he said it was shit I should have listened but luckily I only brought one stubbie because he was right it was absolutely shit how can they pass this crap of as beer :?
ghost

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Feb 13, 2005 10:43 pm

I have head of the Gay Beer you speak of, The Queen of Beers and for those who don't like Busch. :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to The beer you buy