Pilsner Urquell

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Mar 30, 2007 10:11 pm

I prefer Schwelmer. (Who didn't see that coming?)

Nowadays I only buy bottled beer if it comes in Swingtops or it is Belgian.

Now, who sounds like a compleat wanker? :lol:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby DarkFaerytale » Saturday Mar 31, 2007 7:21 am

never really bothered with this stuff but decided to buy 2 bottles of it when i was at Dan's the other night as it's apparently the best Pilsner in the world according to some, don't know if i'll be able to drink the second bottle, was shite IMO and won't be drinking it again

-Phill
DarkFaerytale

Postby Paul » Saturday Mar 31, 2007 6:58 pm

I bought a couple of bottles of this at Dan's yesterday. I think it deserves the rave reviews that it gets.

Everyone has differing tastes. For example ive tried a few of the belgium beers and haven't really liked them.

Also with imported beer it may of been subjected to excessive heat on its journey around the world
Paul

Postby DarkFaerytale » Monday Apr 02, 2007 7:43 am

i'll be honest, the second bottle wasn't as bad as the first, but still i expected more, perhaps it's just talked up a bit to much

-Phill
DarkFaerytale

Postby lethaldog » Monday Apr 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Maybe you expected Fairytales but all you got was reality :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby DarkFaerytale » Tuesday Apr 03, 2007 10:11 am

:roll:
DarkFaerytale

Postby Ash » Sunday Apr 08, 2007 10:20 pm

I thought it was overhyped crap too
Ash

Re: Pilsner Urquell

Postby Biernut » Friday Oct 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Well after reading all the raves about Pils Urquell I bought a bottle the other day opened it yesterday first beer of the day for and unbiased taste, and happy to report nice light clean beer at 4.4% very similar to Lowenbrau. Same hop flavour and refreshing style. Maybe I was expecting something extraordinary but can't say I would rate it highly to my expectations.
I guess personal taste is up to individual, we are all different, I will just stick to the Stella.

Beifall und gluckliches Trinken
Biernut

Postby corks » Saturday Oct 04, 2008 12:12 pm

i'd consider it a tad better than lowenbrau, i thought urquell was less malty and more refreshing. not that i have anything against lowenbrau, but on a warm day i'd take urquell fo shizzle. that said, i don't think urquell is the beer it's hyped up to be. take away the hype and any expectations though and its dam good.
corks

Postby Will » Sunday Oct 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried it right before a LC pilsner and the Urquell was in a completely different league as far as I'm concerned.

I will have to sit down and have a Bohemian v Urquell comparison though. Both great beers but I'm not sure which I prefer.
Will

Postby Bizier » Sunday Oct 05, 2008 9:28 pm

I actually prefer Urquell above many beers, though I am still waiting to taste it at the source for final judgement. I expect it to taste much better than it does here in Aus. I definitely feel it is not exactly right here.

I love MB Bohemian, and I think that it tastes freakin great on tap at the bar 20m away from my work. But I would expect it to lose some glory if you carted it to the Czech Republic in a hot shipping container.

I was told to buy 2 cases of beer the other day by my boss, one for us, one for a company that did a favour for us. My boss suggested Becks. I got the other guys Becks because I find it inoffensive. I got us Urquell for us, because I can taste something after a day's work in the heat. That said, I have a bitter palette.

I am not trying to direct the topic to Becks, but that was my rationale.
Bizier

Postby matt » Friday Oct 24, 2008 4:58 pm

picked up a $30 carton of Pilsener Urquell today from Toowong [bris] First Choice. 9 days past Best before date and is genuine import not brewed under licence. tastes fine.
matt

Postby Zuma » Sunday Nov 16, 2008 8:59 am

Have Trumers just in front but both outstanding drops.
Don't re-invent the wheel, change the tyre..
Zuma

Postby Will » Friday Jan 09, 2009 6:42 am

I recently had the chance to go to Europe and since I was in the area I decided to pay a visit to the small town of Plzen, Czech Republic. The home of Pilsner Urquell. The brewery is massive, a small town unto itself with shops, accommodation for staff and requires a bus for tourists to get around in. Underneath the modern brewery is approximately 6km of tunnelled cellars, filled with massive wooden kegs.

If you ever get the chance, go on this tour and you will get an opportunity to taste a Pilsner Urquell directly from the keg, unfiltered and pure pilsner at its finest. It's thick and cloudy and the tastiest beer I've ever had.
Will

Postby WSC » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 8:22 pm

The beer at the source is the best. In 2001 I think we paid about 50 cents for 500ml in non tourist areas of the Czech Rep. it was cheaper than water!!!!!!!!
WSC

Previous

Return to The beer you buy