Is Red Stripe any good?

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Is Red Stripe any good?

Postby KIP » Saturday May 26, 2007 12:42 pm

I've been curious to try Red Stripe, but where I live, it costs about $1 US more per 6-pack than just about all the other imported beers, and it's only sold in a 6-pack. If you've had one, first of all, did you like it, and secondly, please describe it in relation to another commercial brand (e.g., "it's similar to brand X but less hoppy", etc.)

Cheers

John
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

"Maybe we'll leave come springtime/Meanwhile, have another beer/What would we do without these jerks anyway/Besides, all our friends are here." -- Don Henley, Sunset Grill
KIP

Postby timmy » Saturday May 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum.

The last time I tried Red Stripe I wasn't too impressed with it. In fact I've never heard anyone say good things about it. Can't give you any tasting notes as it's been about 5 years since I've had it and all I can remember is that I didn't like it. Don't your booze shops allow you to break a 6-pack?

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby KIP » Saturday May 26, 2007 5:59 pm

timmy wrote:Hey John,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, mate. Glad to be here.

timmy wrote:The last time I tried Red Stripe I wasn't too impressed with it. In fact I've never heard anyone say good things about it. Can't give you any tasting notes as it's been about 5 years since I've had it and all I can remember is that I didn't like it.

Folks don't seem to like it + too expensive = leave it alone. Thanks for the information.

timmy wrote:Don't your booze shops allow you to break a 6-pack?

On some products, the store I frequent doesn't allow breaking of 6-packs; not sure about all products though. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll ask.
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

"Maybe we'll leave come springtime/Meanwhile, have another beer/What would we do without these jerks anyway/Besides, all our friends are here." -- Don Henley, Sunset Grill
KIP

Postby Iron-Haggis » Saturday May 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Red Stripe isn't actually too bad when you consider that it is mass produced swill for the masses. I wouldn't say no if it was offered to me, but I wouldn't be forking out any money for it.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby buscador » Saturday May 26, 2007 10:05 pm

the older dudes on my sports team in high school used to buy slabs of this

i remeber them being lil pocket bombs, bit bitter for my palate back then but have seen it in Dan Murphys and just cant bring myself to buy it with so many others beckoning, maybe ill get a bottle next time just to do it!

b :?:
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby KIP » Sunday May 27, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks, mates. I'll stick the extra dollar back in my wallet and save it toward a 6-pack of SNPA. :wink: :P

Cheers,

John
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

KIP

Postby KIP » Sunday May 27, 2007 9:07 am

buscador wrote:the older dudes on my sports team in high school used to buy slabs of this

Off topic here...buscador, do I remember reading in another thread that you're from the States or formerly lived in the US?
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

KIP

Postby chris. » Sunday May 27, 2007 10:51 am

Iron-Haggis wrote:Red Stripe isn't actually too bad when you consider that it is mass produced swill for the masses. I wouldn't say no if it was offered to me, but I wouldn't be forking out any money for it.

+1.

I've drank it in the past. It was free. I enjoyed. I'd take it over most Aussie majors.
Last edited by chris. on Saturday Oct 13, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby buscador » Sunday May 27, 2007 12:19 pm

see your other posting

yes, im a Cali boy on my world tour :wink: :wink:
stopped in Australia and hooked on Cooper's lifestyle :lol: :lol:

b
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby Chris » Monday May 28, 2007 2:43 pm

I though I heard somewhere that it had a good whack of white sugar in it. Either way, wasn't impressed last time I had it (about 2 years ago)
Chris

Postby Tipsy » Monday May 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Horrible stuff
Tipsy

Re: Is Red Stripe any good?

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 4:41 pm

KIP wrote:I've been curious to try Red Stripe, but where I live, it costs about $1 US more per 6-pack than just about all the other imported beers, and it's only sold in a 6-pack. If you've had one, first of all, did you like it, and secondly, please describe it in relation to another commercial brand (e.g., "it's similar to brand X but less hoppy", etc.)

I had it in Jamaica late last year and was not impressed. You can read about it and other beers we tasted on our trip here. Bottom line is I'm not a big fan. It was pretty ordinary. In the style of most Australian lagers, so reasonably light on the body, little flavour and reasonable bitterness. Oh, and tastes like crap :D

Funny about costing $US1 more than a regular imported six-pack ... in the Caribbean you could get them for not much more than $US1 each.

I say save your money.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to The beer you buy