Anyone tried a Fat Tire?

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Anyone tried a Fat Tire?

Postby KIP » Sunday May 27, 2007 3:41 am

I don't know whether you can get it in Oz or not; I think there are some places in the US where this brand still isn't available. But if you get a chance to try Fat Tire Amber Ale from the New Belgium brewing company in Colorado (a microbrewery that has a good following in the US), do it. Never had one on tap, but it's supposed to be even better. (And no, I don't work for the company or for any distributor; just a beer fan.)
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

"Maybe we'll leave come springtime/Meanwhile, have another beer/What would we do without these jerks anyway/Besides, all our friends are here." -- Don Henley, Sunset Grill
KIP

Postby NTRabbit » Sunday May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Sadly we don't often get American Micro beers out here, or at least I've never seen them - not since Sierra Nevada squashed the deal that had Europe-bound exports heading here.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby KIP » Sunday May 27, 2007 7:32 am

NTRabbit wrote:...not since Sierra Nevada squashed the deal that had Europe-bound exports heading here.

Didn't know about that; shame, really.
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

"Maybe we'll leave come springtime/Meanwhile, have another beer/What would we do without these jerks anyway/Besides, all our friends are here." -- Don Henley, Sunset Grill
KIP

Postby chris. » Sunday May 27, 2007 10:52 am

Samuel Adams Boston Lager is the closest we get to an American Micro :( :shock:
Last edited by chris. on Saturday Oct 13, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby buscador » Sunday May 27, 2007 12:16 pm

KIP- Fat Tire Amber rocks, that after taste is so distinct, we used to have that on tap next to SNPA, Pyramid Hefe, and Guiness in San Francisco, the Tire was always a favorite of mine

I seem to remeber it being a bit nutty, no big bite to it, when do you think yu will begin brewing? once you start you wont stop :lol:

as for state beer out in melbourne and perth, they carry our shit (no offense to this forum) but the big corporations out here bring corona, miller and bud over, no bueno...wish i could get anchor steam or a west coasty pale ale like sierra nevada or pyramid brews,

have a cold Tire or even a Pacifico Clara for me!

b
ummmmmm, Pacificoooo, boat beer......
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby KIP » Sunday May 27, 2007 3:55 pm

buscador wrote:...we used to have that on tap next to SNPA, Pyramid Hefe, and Guiness in San Francisco, the Tire was always a favorite of mine

Mmmmmm, several people have said Fat Tire is awesome on tap. I'm envious.

buscador wrote:...when do you think yu will begin brewing? once you start you wont stop :lol:

Hopefully sometime this year; the problem is I'm not sure where I will be living. The missus and I aren't getting along very well. I may be moving into an apartment.

buscador wrote:have a cold Tire or even a Pacifico Clara for me!

I still have two bottles of Fat Tire in the fridge. Picked up a 6-er of Blue Paddle (a Pilsener made by New Belgium) this evening for the first time. Not as good as Fat Tire; it's kinda watery actually. But its aftertaste, although less hoppy and shorter-lived, is reminiscent of Fat Tire's in that it has (to me, anyway) an interesting chocolatey note to it.

I'll sip a Tire in your honor, my good man.

Cheers,

John
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

KIP

Postby NTRabbit » Sunday May 27, 2007 4:00 pm

buscador wrote:wish i could get anchor steam

The International Beer Shop sells Anchor Steam, I got a bottle myself in the case I bought last month. Not much else from the US though.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby sparkious » Sunday May 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi Kip. You wouldn't by chance be the B.M.W motorcycle enthusiest living in Colorado who occasionally visits Brisbane to stay with Lisa and Greg ? On the topic , I am insanely jealous of all the good beer you can get your hands on ie; Fat Tire and SNPA . My wife has talked these beers up for a long time and they are un accessable in Oz so I make as close to a replica as I can with Fresh Wort and extra Ammarillo hops .Cheers, Mark.
sparkious

Postby KIP » Monday May 28, 2007 12:08 am

sparkious wrote:You wouldn't by chance be the B.M.W motorcycle enthusiest living in Colorado who occasionally visits Brisbane to stay with Lisa and Greg ?

Nope; never been to Oz, actually. I'm not much of a travel buff. That being said, Australia and NZ are about the only places outside the US (with the possible exception of London) that I would like to visit some day.

sparkious wrote:...I am insanely jealous of all the good beer you can get your hands on ie; Fat Tire and SNPA . My wife has talked these beers up for a long time and they are un accessable in Oz so I make as close to a replica as I can with Fresh Wort and extra Ammarillo hops .

Mark, I'm pretty sure that SNPA is available somewhere Down Under, based on the comments of several others, but apparently not where you live. Bummer. Of the two, SNPA is better IMHO, but Fat Tire is excellent. I hope you get to try it pretty soon. If not, come stateside and 'ave a cold one! :) :P

Cheers,
John
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

KIP

Postby sparkious » Monday May 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Cheers John , Will have to get over to the states again one day. Last time I was there I was 21 and stupid enough to drink the other mega swill that was easilly accessable. That said, I was also smoking Lucky Strike so I don't think taste was big on my agenda at the time.Keep an eye out for the other Kip in your neck of the woods!
sparkious

Postby KIP » Tuesday May 29, 2007 2:49 am

buscador wrote:have a cold Tire or even a Pacifico Clara for me!

b
ummmmmm, Pacificoooo, boat beer......

I keep seeing you sing the praises of Pacifico Clara...I have never seen it around here but I will definitely have to look for it. I may be one of the few blokes on this site who actually like Corona, and if Pacifico is better, I guess I need to try one (for that matter, I need to try Dos Equis, too).

Cheers,
John
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

KIP

Postby buscador » Tuesday May 29, 2007 7:09 pm

i use to buy a case/slab of Pacifico for my mechanic whenever I picked my car up from the shop, he kept that baby running smooth, one time around July 4th I brought it to him in an ice chest/esky, the boys in the shop were so pumped, I think they wanted to be the owner of the shop for just one day after that...

unfortunately I had to sell the Toyota to stay afloat last year while in OZ, but oh well, now i have a shit car and greater beer, that I made...

note to self- start tipping more in Australia :wink:

b
buscador

Postby buscador » Wednesday May 30, 2007 6:52 pm

just took a sip or 2 of this

1.7 kg can Cooper's Real Ale
1.5 kg can Cooper's Light Malt Extract-liquid
20g Perle hops pellets @ 20 minutes
20g Perle hops pellets @ flameout
11.5g SafAle yeast US-56

and guess what it tastes like--no shit

the Fat Tire of old has a twin, well its close...

I wasnt even thinking of it and when it hit the tongue, I nearly thought I was hustling the gents at the bar in Frisco'

cheers,
b
buscador

Postby bellboys backyard brew » Tuesday Dec 11, 2007 11:28 pm

Ok busc, just came across your recipe, don't know if you still use this forum, however just one question from a basic novice brewer, :oops: when you say:

20g Perle Hops pellets @ flameout

After flameout, how long do you let it sit before straining into the fermenter? Do you strain it straight away?
In battle when victorious, you deserve beer.
In defeat, you need it.
bellboys backyard brew

Postby KEG » Wednesday Dec 12, 2007 8:51 am

some people don't even strain the wort. it's considered unneccessary by a fair few, myself included.
KEG

Postby James L » Friday Dec 14, 2007 12:54 pm

found this FTAA clone.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipa ... &item=2397

apparently this guy got some info from the brewery tour, so the hops etc might be a close match....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby bellboys backyard brew » Friday Dec 21, 2007 11:35 pm

didn't strain some saaz hops out of a brew a while back....
bad move.... awful bitter after taste...
the sort of horrid taste that's just too much..
Mental note to self "always strain the hops out of the brew after the boil"
In battle when victorious, you deserve beer.
In defeat, you need it.
bellboys backyard brew

Re: Anyone tried a Fat Tire?

Postby Snowdog » Tuesday Apr 08, 2008 11:09 am

KIP wrote:I don't know whether you can get it in Oz or not; I think there are some places in the US where this brand still isn't available. But if you get a chance to try Fat Tire Amber Ale from the New Belgium brewing company in Colorado (a microbrewery that has a good following in the US), do it. Never had one on tap, but it's supposed to be even better. (And no, I don't work for the company or for any distributor; just a beer fan.)

Fat Tire is pretty good, but I prefer Deschutes Mirror Pond myself. I think it had to do with me getting Flat Tire at a pub one night.
I do like New Belgium's winter brew 2 Below though! Goo dstuff this.

Update. New Belgium is going to start canning Fat Tire.
Snowdog

Return to The beer you buy