Bavaria - Anyone tried it?

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Bavaria - Anyone tried it?

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Jul 22, 2007 4:06 pm

They have 15 bottle cases of this on special at the local Liquorland. They are 660ML bottles and look to be made of pretty tough glass! Works out to $2.50 including the beer ;)

I need the bottles anyway and am mostly looking at about $1 plus post for decent old 750ML bottles anyway.

If it is a decent drop let me know, thanks.
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Sunday Jul 22, 2007 6:42 pm

Not a bad beer.

A little like Hollandia but less oomph, I like it :D
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Jul 22, 2007 7:46 pm

Yeah it was ok for the price, tried a few after work one night with the fellas and they seemed to go down pretty easy :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Jul 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Nice, will have to check the bak account out when I get paid this week and see how many cases I can "afford" without the wife catching on ;)
Kevnlis

Postby Pale_Ale » Monday Jul 23, 2007 7:46 pm

They've been around for a while, you can pick up a carton for under $30 which for the taste is pretty damn good.

Hollandia, as was mentioned earlier is pretty avg though. I bought that from liquorland once for $24.99 a carton. It was the least amount of money I have ever spent on a carton.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jul 23, 2007 8:06 pm

Pale_Ale wrote:They've been around for a while, you can pick up a carton for under $30 which for the taste is pretty damn good.

Hollandia, as was mentioned earlier is pretty avg though. I bought that from liquorland once for $24.99 a carton. It was the least amount of money I have ever spent on a carton.

I got a slab of Hammer & Tongs (a Tassie draught). It is quite good and regular price at LiquorLand is $25.99!
Kevnlis

Postby Pale_Ale » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 9:06 pm

Yeah it's new I think, I'm yet to try it. Hopefully better than the similar priced (and probably identical) Tasman Bitter.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 9:23 pm

My mate rates the Hollandia better than the Hammer and tongs, Hollandia is more "hoppy"

Regarding Bavaria, I had it on tap in Holland and sank quite a few pints/"big glass" whilst watching Liverpool get into the Champs League final.......can't remember going to bed :lol:

Walked to the bar "Schooner please" odd look...."Pint please" odd look....."Big Glass" with hand signals, twas a big glass alright :wink: .

Every time I went to the bar "Big Glass" was thrown back at me with a big smile......love the dutch :wink:

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 9:35 pm

Boonie wrote:love the dutch

Thanks for your vote of confidence. Last time I was in Holland I stayed with my parents. Best memory is of buying Grolsch in 500 mil bottles for the equivalent of $1AUD at the local supermarket. Still my favourite Dutch beer.
warra48

Postby Boonie » Thursday Jul 26, 2007 12:40 pm

Had a Hammer and Tongs at my mates house....drinkable.... when it's free..... :wink:

Hollandia = Better
Boonie

Postby Heals » Thursday Jul 26, 2007 1:42 pm

I remember packin' away case after case of hollandia a few years back, $30 a carton - spent a whole week with the guys at my place, in the pool, cooking BBQ, I swear we made a trip to the bottle shop about twice a day!

Great memories!

Pretty decent beer too from what I can remember... :lol:
Explore your HOPTIONS!
240+ varieties of hops, expert descriptions, substitutes, beer styles and more. hopslist.com is the largest source of hops info on the web.
Heals

Re: Bavaria - Anyone tried it?

Postby Lachy » Tuesday May 06, 2008 11:22 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a bump...

I've been drinking the Bavaria over the last couple of days, and I've gotta say it's possibly the best cheap import I've tasted yet. Clean, crisp, and it actually smells of hops! At any rate, the local 1st Choice liquor place is selling it for $35 a case or three longnecks for a tenner... it's not quite the cheapest beer, but for the price it's pretty bloody good. I know homebrew is cheaper, but I've gotta say this stuff is pretty decent.
Lachy

Re:

Postby KEG » Tuesday May 06, 2008 11:24 pm

Boonie wrote:My mate rates the Hollandia better than the Hammer and tongs, Hollandia is more "hoppy"

Regarding Bavaria, I had it on tap in Holland and sank quite a few pints/"big glass" whilst watching Liverpool get into the Champs League final.......can't remember going to bed :lol:

Walked to the bar "Schooner please" odd look...."Pint please" odd look....."Big Glass" with hand signals, twas a big glass alright :wink: .

Every time I went to the bar "Big Glass" was thrown back at me with a big smile......love the dutch :wink:

Cheers

Boonie

i know it's an old post, but that's an awesome anecdote :lol:
KEG

Return to The beer you buy