Chimay Grand Reserve...

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Chimay Grand Reserve...

Postby James L » Thursday Dec 06, 2007 9:07 am

I went to the new Dan Murphys that has just opened in Balga (in W.A), and there was two conflicting prices for 750ml bottles of Chimay Grand Reserve 1 was 19 a bottle and the other was 14. Turns out they stuffed up, and i got a 2 bottles for 28 dollars. instead of 38. Nice....

And they were cold too...

Unfortunately by querying about the price, they have clued on, and have said that it wont happen again... :? Ohh well....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby MOFO » Thursday Dec 06, 2007 1:45 pm

I get mine from my local, small time independent bottle shop in the centre of Sydney for $17.. so $19 sounds a bit steep... I would expect DMs to have it for about $15.

I have a bottle sitting around somewhere - I better hide it because I have threatened to drink it for quite some time.

Also - don't have it too cold! It should be served at about 12 degrees... if it is from a fridge it will be about 4!
MOFO

Postby James L » Friday Dec 07, 2007 1:19 pm

Yeh valid MOFO...

I tend to try to serve the majority of my "special" beers between 8 -12 degrees. When i pour my wheat beer at a higher temp, it seems to get a more lively head too, but looses its carbonation a touch quicker..

Alot of these beers have the suggested temperature to serve written on the labelling. I know that the Orval does... thats quite a interesting beer... one of its trademarks is the taste/flavour of wet heshion...
James L

Postby MOFO » Friday Dec 07, 2007 3:23 pm

I've tried Orval once... admittedly I had about 10 beers prior to it... not the best time to try a Belgian Trappist...

But, to me it tasted like Battery acid... I will get it again to test.. but yeah - I wasnt a fan!
MOFO

Postby KEG » Friday Dec 07, 2007 3:33 pm

orval is very different to most other trappist beers, it uses a different yeast.. not sure, but it might be brettanomyces?
KEG

Postby James L » Friday Dec 07, 2007 4:55 pm

those crazy belgiums.... they love to do the opposite as what us homebrewers try not too do...

deliberately infect their beers... maybe i could palm off some of my failures as belgium delicasy...
James L

Postby KEG » Friday Dec 07, 2007 5:25 pm

LOL yep :lol:
KEG

Return to The beer you buy