Beer fraud - letter to ACCC

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Re: Beer fraud - letter to ACCC

Postby KEG » Thursday Apr 10, 2008 1:19 pm

that is fantastic news.. imported stella is much better , and i'll be able to drink becks again :D
KEG

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Apr 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Hail Mary and pass the beer!! :D
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 10:33 pm

111222333 wrote:I have it under VERY good authority that CUB has lost its license to brew Stella, Becks and Grolch (other licenses weren't discussed, so im not sure about things like Guinness) in Australia, and now must import them. The first few shipments have been here about a month or so im told, so the bottles you now buy should be the imported stuff. It will say so on the label, and not have *brewed under license by CUB* or what ever. Hope this is pleasing news to some of the lads

Sorry guys don't get too excited. CUB doesn't have the license to brew Becks, Lion Nathan does. Grolsch as far as I know is imported by Premium Beverages.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby KEG » Monday Apr 14, 2008 10:42 am

ah well, we can still be happy about stella then, right :D
KEG

Postby Iron-Haggis » Monday Apr 14, 2008 10:43 pm

So far all the Stella I've seen is still brewed under licence. I think the source is questionable. Also I think if the case was Fosters lost the right to BUL then they would definitely use it as a marketing promotion to claim they now import Stella. I'm just cynical.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby matr » Monday Apr 14, 2008 11:18 pm

Just bought a box of Stella tonight...

Still BUL by CUB!!!!

Had to buy it though. I was thirsty.
matr

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Apr 15, 2008 10:06 am

matr wrote:Had to buy it though. I was thirsty.

8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby James L » Tuesday Apr 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I wish i had a spare 50 i could throw at a carton of beer....

30 bucks a carton is all I budget for with this mortgage over my head, so i get fully imported carton of bavarian pilsner... for 29.90.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby matr » Tuesday Apr 15, 2008 1:12 pm

That's one of the reasons I started HB. Spending $60 - $70 a week on beer wasn't helping the pocket.. :(

Just got this box to see me through till my first batches of HB are ready this weekend.
matr

Postby James L » Tuesday Apr 15, 2008 1:59 pm

fair enough... next time you go to woolies liquor, try the oettinger pils... thats what i get for 30 bucks a carton... its pretty darn good.

As for homebrewing... the more you drink, the more you save!!!! That the philsophy that i live by....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 3:37 pm

James L wrote:fair enough... next time you go to woolies liquor, try the oettinger pils... thats what i get for 30 bucks a carton... its pretty darn good.

As for homebrewing... the more you drink, the more you save!!!! That the philsophy that i live by....

The bottles are good quality too and can be reused to store HB ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Chris » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Go to ALDI if you want reasonable quality beer at good prices.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby Iron-Haggis » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Chris wrote:Go to ALDI if you want reasonable quality beer at good prices.

Unfortunately most of us can't buy alcohol from Aldi, due to licensing laws in most states. I think Victoria and ACT are the only places where Aldi sell alcohol.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby matr » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 10:44 pm

And some of us don't even know what the hell an "ALDI" is coz we live over the other side of the universe (country)!!
matr

Postby PaulSteele » Thursday Apr 17, 2008 2:48 am

can anybody confirm or discredit the stella licensing claims?

i had was talking to the bird at the bottlo the other day about BULs and she was saying that stella is imported (she thinks) and i was saying it is Carlton (i thinks)

neither of us walked over and picked up a bottle to check, but this could be serious damage to my pride if i'm wrong!!

i might even have to find another bottlo to go to.
PaulSteele

Postby matr » Thursday Apr 17, 2008 10:36 am

BUL by Fosters...
matr

Postby PaulSteele » Monday May 05, 2008 7:35 pm

went back to said bottlo and lo and behold; Stella fully imported.
PaulSteele

Re:

Postby Biernut » Monday Jul 14, 2008 7:33 pm

earle wrote:I wonder whether it could be taken a step further. Some parts of the law seem to center around "What a reasonable person would be likely to conclude"

Without a warranty implied on the bottle that it is not the original genuine content, a smart lawyer may argue the rule of caveat emptor. Just a thought.

In the context of the restaurant even grouping the fakes with the genuine article would lead a reasonable person to conclude that they are in fact imported. Even if the list had the heading of overseas brands or no heading at all. Only the heading "Brewed in Australia under licence" would remove all doubt.

In the context of the bottle shop would a reasonable person having identified a refreshing six pack of beverage as bearing the name of an imported beer check the fine print to see whether the brewing giants are trying to pull a quickie on them. Only if they are of the well informed minority but the majority would probably not.

What about when you see the beer in the fridge behind the bar. The first opportunity for you to see the fine print is once you've got it in your hand.

Perhaps the perpetrators of this fraud should be forced to stamp "Brewed in Australia under licence" in reasonable large print over the front of the label. Watch the price drop then.
Biernut

Re:

Postby Biernut » Monday Jul 14, 2008 7:36 pm

earle wrote:I wonder whether it could be taken a step further. Some parts of the law seem to center around "What a reasonable person would be likely to conclude"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without a warranty implied on the bottle that it is not the original genuine content, a smart lawyer may argue the rule of caveat emptor. Just a thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the context of the restaurant even grouping the fakes with the genuine article would lead a reasonable person to conclude that they are in fact imported. Even if the list had the heading of overseas brands or no heading at all. Only the heading "Brewed in Australia under licence" would remove all doubt.

In the context of the bottle shop would a reasonable person having identified a refreshing six pack of beverage as bearing the name of an imported beer check the fine print to see whether the brewing giants are trying to pull a quickie on them. Only if they are of the well informed minority but the majority would probably not.

What about when you see the beer in the fridge behind the bar. The first opportunity for you to see the fine print is once you've got it in your hand.

Perhaps the perpetrators of this fraud should be forced to stamp "Brewed in Australia under licence" in reasonable large print over the front of the label. Watch the price drop then.
Biernut

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Jul 20, 2008 4:08 pm

I had a look at the Stella when I was at Dan Murphys yesterday and it was all fair dinkem import, not BUL.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

PreviousNext

Return to The beer you buy