Beer fraud - letter to ACCC

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Re: Beer fraud - letter to ACCC

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Aug 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Takes off hat, and bows, then applauds............. :D :D :mrgreen:
warra48

Postby wrighty » Thursday Aug 27, 2009 1:56 am

Classic work Lob. :D
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby lob » Sunday Aug 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Found this recently published book (2008) today in Borders (but wasn't paying $32.00); Reviews not the imported Stella/becks/Heinekin, but the BUL Australian beer packaged to look like these European beers. The reviewer is particularly scathing of BUL Stella.

"BEER - A GAUGE FOR ENTHUSIASTS by Greg Duncan Powell
A comprehensive beer guide that not only critiques 150 brews, but lifts the bonnet and exposes the inner-workings of the brewers..."

http://www.scb.com.au/cgi-bin/clearconn ... tk_id=3676

A lot has changed in a few short years; I have a book on beer published in 2003 also by Greg Powell (and Ben Canaider) which doesn't mention BUL in relation to any of the beers discussed in this thread. - BEER: Slabs, Stubbies and Six-Packs. A Tasting Guide. Back then it was probably unthinkable that the imported beer market, particularly European, would very soon be replaced by a flood of cheaply manufactured (brewed?) local product packaged *exactly the same

* bar a few small almost hidden lines of print: "BUL by...NSW 666"

This is some weird parallel universe we've all fallen into...
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby lob » Tuesday Sep 08, 2009 6:23 pm

I posted the following last night on the "letters page" of the 7.30 report website:

Subject: Brewed Under License European Beer
Visit Time: 7/09/2009 5:54 PM
Remark: Has the 7.30 Report considered doing a story on the replacement of European beer with Australian Beer in the (almost) exact same packaging? Stella Artois, for example, is now an Australian beer. Tastes similar to Carlton Draught. Has almost nothing in common with the Stella Artois that is brewed in Belgium. The packaging of a slab of "Stella" at Dan Murphys only makes reference to being "Brewed Under License..." on the underside of the case.

Isn't this fraud?

Other famous overseas brands now little more than "Repackaged Carlton Draught" (with a little hops added perhaps) include Becks, Heinekin, and Kingfisher.

http://www2b.abc.net.au/guestbookcentra ... bookID=156
lob

Postby gregb » Monday Sep 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Some good discussion on wine started at this point, and has been moved to its own thread.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby lob » Sunday Dec 13, 2009 5:31 am

It's now becoming completely farcical ...Dan Murphys just opened in Phillip. Went in there yesterday just for a browse. They advertise that they have Canberra largest range of International Beers. BS. All the "popular" European lager style beers are now made in Australia. They don't bother to stock the real product. There's a large bottlestore only a few blocks away with the real Stella, the real Becks, etc etc at a cheaper price. There's also an excellent bottlestore at the Fyshwick markets, selling the real version of these beers much cheaper. Then again, I suppose, being the real, non fake version, it's a "different" product, so Dan Murphys (or 1st Choice) don't have to price match. Anyways, the reason for my post: Carlsberg is now "brewed under supervision", and Kronenbourg 1664 is now "brewed under license". Dan Murphys and 1st Choice: Canberra's biggest range of shite...
lob

Postby lob » Sunday Dec 13, 2009 5:39 am

A TIP-OFF from private investigators working for international beer labels has led to the seizure of more than $2,500,000 worth of fake beers in Canberra.

Brand names including Stella, Becks, and even 1664 were pirated as part of the operation, police said.

The goods were found during a raid on a shop at Phillip in Canberra's Woden Valley today.

"It is alleged officers entered the store and located a stockpile of pirated beer, illegally bearing such brand names as Heineken, Kingfisher, and Stella" police said.

A store manager aged in his 50s was arrested at the shop and is being questioned while detectives continue investigations into company directors of the Fosters group.

"Police have alerted the security managers of Stella in Belgium and Becks in Germany, who were surprised by the enormity of the find and expressed their satisfaction with the seizure," police said.

- - -

Na, not really:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/f ... 5740038664
lob

Postby lob » Monday Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Just when things couldn't get more absurd...

Throw together some Australian water, Australian barley, and Australian hops. Wave the magic marketing wand (stick a label on the bottle that says Russian). Wazamboo: Instant Russian Beer.

http://4bars.com.au/web/2009/09/08/balt ... sian-beer/
lob

Postby Bum » Monday Jan 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Your own link declares it is being BIL.
Bum

Postby lob » Monday Jan 18, 2010 5:31 pm

Yeah, I know. It's media release / marketing launch fodder.

"Baltika 3 Classic is being produced under licence by Independent Breweries"

The BUL statement is on the back label of the 330ml beer stubbie in small print; same as with the European BUL beers. The Imported Baltika beers, btw, come in a 500ml bottle.
lob

Postby BadSeed » Monday Jun 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I was caught by the BUL scam on Saturday night :oops:

I thought I was wise to it....
I called into Liquorland to grab a 6 pack as me and the mrs were having a curry. I saw on the shelf Kronenberg 1664, which I used to drink back in the UK. I haven't had it in over 10 years (in fact it was at my leaving party) so I thought I'd grab one. $20 a six pack.

Took it home and opened one up started drinking it. Rubbish, didn't tast like anything like I remembered. So I had a look at the label and there it was BUL Fosters.
Should be illegal.
BadSeed

Postby Geoff » Monday Jun 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Moot point, BadSeed. On one view it is illegal.

BTW, you don't happen to be mates with Nick Cave do you?

Geoff
Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
Geoff

Postby BadSeed » Saturday Jun 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Geoff wrote:Moot point, BadSeed. On one view it is illegal.

BTW, you don't happen to be mates with Nick Cave do you?

Geoff

I know it's a moot point, but where else will anyone listen to me? :)
Even my wife is unsympathetic and just humours me

I am sadly not mates with Nick Cave, although the amount of records and CD's I've bought and shows I've been to I am probably paying for his childrens education.
BadSeed

Postby Geoff » Saturday Jun 26, 2010 3:06 pm

You and me both.
Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
Geoff

Postby lob » Saturday Nov 12, 2011 8:22 am

wtf is it with Dan Murphys?

I notice their website has a Review section for beers. So I write some negative feedback regarding Kosciuszko Pale Ale. To my amazement they publish my review:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_360 ... le#Reviews

Then I notice there's heaps of negative reviews of Becks also:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_133 ... er#Reviews

Then I write a review for Pikes Oakbank ....and I get this email back stating:
"Hi lob!
Your review about Pikes Oakbank Beer has been rejected!
Please review our guidlines and resubmit your review"

Anyways I reply as follows as a second followup review of this beer (submitted via their website):

My last Review was rejected...
No idea why. I simply pointed out in my review that this beer is NOT a craft beer from the Clare Valley in South Australia. Yet, the product description on the Dan Murphys website states this. In fact, it's produced under licence by Independent Brewers - read the back label on the bottle. Australian Independent Brewers are located at:

43 Topham Road, Smeaton Grange, NSW, Australia...about 40 mins from Sydney's CBD...and a very long way from the Clare Valley in South Australia,

Why does Dan Murphys stock these fake "pretending they're from some small-microbrewery somewhere" beers? Would you stock a Margaret River red wine that was actually made under licence in the Hunter Valley? No, you wouldn't. Why should beer be any different?

I haven't had a reply back from Dan Murphys concerning my new review yet : )

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_904 ... er#Reviews

Note: the two review currently showing (above) are so f---ing obviously written by people associated with Oakbank and/or Independent Brewers.
lob

Postby lob » Saturday Nov 12, 2011 2:41 pm

To: marketing_dept@ripoffbrewers.com.au
I just cashed up all my Google and Apple shares. It came to about 8 million; even I was shocked. Anyways, look, I've always wanted my own brewery. Sounds like a lot of hard work though. Also, I have no talent for brewing. But I read on your website you guys not only have a large industrial-sized brewing operation in Campbelltown, you also do all the brewing in house for other clients; You even employ your own headbrewer. Look, what I want is this: A straight forward Pale Ale that your headbrewer can devise. Don't spend too much...trying to keep overheads low. I've come up with a brand name, which I've registered: Broome Pale Ale. The label will basically say:

"In 1864...bla bla bla...someone famous [not sure who yet we'll sort this out later]...rode into town...thirsty, etc etc...brewed his own beer. 150 years later, Broome Pale Ale continues the tradition; It is without doubt WA's finest brew."
I've paid a large sum of money to a graphic design studio to come up with a label. The draft looks pretty good. It's got some camels walking along the beach at dusk, etc.

My only concern of course is you guys are based in Campbelltown, Sydney. I actually live in the ACT myself. - Will we have to disclose this on the label? I mean, neither of us lives anywhere near Western Australia. To be honest I've never even been to WA.

From jim.marketing_dept@ripoffbrewers.com.au
To: lob@broomepaleale.com.au
Thanks lob for your interest in our business. Yeah we can do everything for you from creating the recipe, brewing, bottling, labels...absolutely everything.

In regards to the brewery being in Campbelltown and your business being in Canberra. Pretty simple work around: Just make sure you open an office, or something in Broome, even a PO Box. That way the label can read something along the lines of: "Brewed under License of Broome Pale Ale 23 Smith St Broome by Ripoff Brewers." Trust me, your average Aussie won't work it out. 95 to 99% of them will be convinced this beer comes from a small microbrewery near the beach somewhere in Broome.

To: jim.marketing_dept@ripoffbrewers.com.au
What about distribution?

No probs. We've got a good working relationship with Dan Murphys and 1st Choice. Also, if your product is mentioned in their advertised on their websites or newspapers etc it'll always be listed as a "WA craft beer."

To: jim.marketing_dept@ripoffbrewers.com.au
Mate you're a legend. I actually contacted Tim Winton, you know the author, and told him about the product and offered him a large sum of $$$$ to help market the beer. He told me "You can shove your fake f---ing beer up your..." Can you believe that? Some people eh.

Mate you should read the tripe spewed out on some of the online beer forums in regards to brewed under license beer...some of these people are just lefty morons concerned over nothing. We're trying to run a f---ing business here! We're the 1% keeping these pathetic dumbfuckers in jobs. Give me your contact details, and I'll have Sally from Sales call you first thing Monday.
lob

Postby warra48 » Saturday Nov 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I love a good story, and that's one of the best.

Great effort! LOL.
warra48

Postby Geoff » Saturday Nov 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Love your work. Pure gold!
Geoff

Postby big dave » Saturday Nov 12, 2011 7:47 pm

:lol: :mrgreen:
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby barls » Saturday Nov 12, 2011 7:52 pm

im going ask here have you been in contact with ether AIB or pikes on this one??
also whats wrong with contract brewing? its done by a lot of commercial brewers both here and overseas.
barls

PreviousNext

Return to The beer you buy