Any Stout Lovers out there???

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Any Stout Lovers out there???

Postby Ryan L » Sunday Feb 24, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum...

I am in the search for a new stout to try. I'm currently devouring the Guinness Extra Stout which goes very nicely with lots of different food types, great with chocolate. I've tried the Coopers Best Extra Stout, and a few others like a Double Chocolate Stout from Great Britain... But is there anyone that recomends any others?

Cheers

Ryan
Ryan L

Re: Any Stout Lovers out there???

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday Feb 24, 2008 9:51 pm

There is no such thing as a bad stout. I think Coopers Best Extra is the best stout I've had. But stouts like Southwark Old, Sheaf, Cascade and even Castlemaine are good.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Sunday Feb 24, 2008 9:58 pm

There is one such thing (that I know of) as a bad stout. The creators mean well, but...

You can buy it on tap in South Melbourne. At the brewery.

I am told that Abbotsford Invalid Stout is a winner. It is in my supermarket shottle bop.

I made a toucan early last year from Coopers Kits. It went down a treat with all my stouter mates.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby KEG » Monday Feb 25, 2008 6:27 am

Sinha Stout. Freaking marvellous stuff. Don't miss trying it :-)
KEG

Postby rwh » Monday Feb 25, 2008 4:34 pm

SpillsMostOfIt wrote:There is one such thing (that I know of) as a bad stout. The creators mean well, but...
You can buy it on tap in South Melbourne. At the brewery.

I haven't been to the Emerald Hill Brewery since they added the Stout. Might have to go see how bad it is.
SpillsMostOfIt wrote:I am told that Abbotsford Invalid Stout is a winner. It is in my supermarket shottle bop.

It is. And it's close to the cheapest you can find. Having said that, I got a longneck of it from the Anglesea bottle-o and it didn't live up to my expectations. Might have been old and/or treated badly. :cry:
SpillsMostOfIt wrote:I made a toucan early last year from Coopers Kits. It went down a treat with all my stouter mates.

Same! :D

The only stouts that I've had trouble drinking were those made by my crazier homebrewing friends. 600g of Choc Malt or Roast Barley = TOO FRIGGIN MUCH ALREADY!
w00t!
rwh

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Monday Feb 25, 2008 5:35 pm

rwh wrote:I haven't been to the Emerald Hill Brewery since they added the Stout. Might have to go see how bad it is.

They don't appear to be turning up at this week's Microbrewery Showcase at Fed Square. You could save yourself the trip and bother of having to down an entire pint of it if they show in future...

rwh wrote:It is. And it's close to the cheapest you can find. Having said that, I got a longneck of it from the Anglesea bottle-o and it didn't live up to my expectations. Might have been old and/or treated badly. :cry:

In the name of science, I might just purchase a bottle when next I am shopping. I've only just got home from shopping and won't be again until tomorrow...

It's my intention to brew stout this year from grain. Last year I only managed 7litres of it.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Iron-Haggis » Monday Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm

KEG wrote:Sinha Stout. Freaking marvellous stuff. Don't miss trying it :-)

I forgot about Sinha Stout, it's a brilliant beer. I've heard that Abbotsford Invalid Stout is good but here in Sydney it is nowhere to be found.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby KEG » Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 7:00 am

I'va had Abbotsford. It's certainly good, but Coopers BE Stout is better.. and Sinha tops both for me.
KEG

Postby Ryan L » Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 9:09 pm

Yes, it is confirmed... Coopers BE Stout seems to be the winner, I may have to buy a carton on the next way round... I'll have to see if I can get my hands on Sinha Stout, read up on it and it sounds very tempting... I was talking to my friend that was over in WA a while ago and he managed to be there just in time when his step fathers home brewed Stout was ready, he described it as being the best thing to ever pass his lips. :)

I just discovered a huge specialty beer section in one of those big first choice liquire stores. Oh my lord! It's about a 10 metre wall full of all different types of different beers. On my next day off I intend to explore the depths of this collection... I'll see what I can find and report back...

Thanks,

Ryan
"Champion Guinness Drinker"
Ryan L

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Tuesday Feb 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Ryan L wrote:I was talking to my friend that was over in WA a while ago and he managed to be there just in time when his step fathers home brewed Stout was ready, he described it as being the best thing to ever pass his lips. :)

Something I've noticed with stout drinkers is that they are often prone to hyperbole... :P
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Snowdog » Wednesday Feb 27, 2008 9:14 am

Ryan L wrote:I just discovered a huge specialty beer section in one of those big first choice liquire stores. Oh my lord! It's about a 10 metre wall full of all different types of different beers. On my next day off I intend to explore the depths of this collection... I'll see what I can find and report back...

Thanks,

Ryan

Which 1st Choice you at? I've found not all 1st Choice stores are the same. I go to the Mansfield one on Wecker Road as they have a fairly good collection of brews. The one on Newnham Road in Upper Mt Gravatt has some of the same stuff, just less selection. They seem to cater more toward the bulk macros.

Back on topic... I have to say I do miss my Obsidian Stout, and plan on bringing some back with me when I go tho the states in June.
I noticed this one picked up a Silver Medal at the 2006 AIBA and a Gold Medal at the 2007 AIBA!
Snowdog

Postby Ryan L » Wednesday Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am

The First Choice at Browns Plains is the one that I've been raiding as of late. I just live up the road from it so it's nice and close... HUGE beer selection! If you're ever down that way go in and have a gander...
Ryan L

Postby Chris » Wednesday Feb 27, 2008 12:54 pm

Another vote for sinha stout. Easily the best I've had.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby petesbrew » Monday Mar 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Had a Coopers BE stout last friday night. It's been aaaages since I've had one.
I recall it tasting like vegemite in a longneck when I was a kid, but it seems to have softened a touch. Either that or my tastebuds have changed. (they altered the recipe a while back didn't they?

Sinha stout is awesome.
I don't mind Southwarks either.
But a nice easy toucan dark/stout does the job for me!

Also tried a mates Imperial Passionfruit stout... wow.
petesbrew

Postby Ben78 » Thursday Mar 27, 2008 6:33 pm

Personal Favourite Stouts for me

Coopers Best Extra
Cascade
Northern Rivers Brewing Company

In no particular order. The NRBC is worth chasing down - Winner of 2006 Champion at the Hotel Beer Awards.
Ben78

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Always wanted to try the Northern Rivers drops. I plan on stopping by the brewery in Alstonville the next time I'm trekking to Grafton as its just a few km side trip off the Pacific highway.
Snowdog

Postby Paleman » Tuesday Apr 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Mmmmmmm stout, and winters on the way too.

A pub lunch, and tap poured Guinness. Deliiiish !!

I love Coopers BE, also Southwark Old. Beer at it's finest. Not good for the old waist though, but meh.......what are ya gunna do !! :mrgreen:
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Postby rohanbutler » Wednesday Apr 09, 2008 2:18 pm

1 Cooper BES
2 Guiness (May go to the top of the list if I can drink it on top in ireland!)
3 Southwark

I should read this, I have started dreaming about Paleman's pub lunch and tap guiness!

And of course to digress you can go to the little brothers dark ale and porter!
I don't have drinking problem cept when I can't get drink - Tom Waits
rohanbutler

Postby Ryan L » Wednesday Apr 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Paleman wrote:Mmmmmmm stout, and winters on the way too.

A pub lunch, and tap poured Guinness. Deliiiish !!

I love Coopers BE, also Southwark Old. Beer at it's finest. Not good for the old waist though, but meh.......what are ya gunna do !! :mrgreen:

HMMMMMMMM....

Stop making me hungry! :)

My mother came around the other day to check if i was still breathing, her comment was, "your getting fat aren't you, what have you been doing with yourself?". At the moment I was holding a beer behind my back! he he he...

A pub lunch would be great, with a nice silky cold guinness running down the back of the throat... hmmmm might have to indulge...

"Eat like a king, drink like a king...then you may even grow a belly like a king"

Cheers,

Ryan
Ryan L

Postby Ljuke » Thursday Apr 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here, but I had to post here and say that Swan Stout from WA is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy good. It's really chocolatey and strong. It's the only one I buy regularly.
Ljuke

Next

Return to The beer you buy