Word of warning: Japanese beers

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Word of warning: Japanese beers

Postby Shimanto » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm currently residing in Japan at the moment which is where Asahi super dry and Kirin lager call home.
After drinking copious amounts of both brands I have found that for some reason the next day I wake up wanting to die....
Ive had sessions on many Australian mass produced beers (with tooheys old and JS golden ale being my favourite) and woken up feeling a little dusty, but nothing compares to the Asahi super hangover.
Ive read the ingredients on the back which state the usual go into the beers (barley, rice malt, corn starch and sugar, hops and yeast). Im wondering if the ingredient 'poison' has been lost in my translation?
Can anyone explain why these beers destroy me :?:
Shimanto

Re: Word of warning: Japanese beers

Postby MOFO » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 7:22 pm

They destroy me too...I dont mind them as a nice, light, crisp beer but shy away from them nowadays....

I have no idea - but I also put Tooheys Extra Dry and Crownie into the same basket. The only thing I can see is the Dry Enzyme they use, to make them a dry beer...

Drink the Yibisu, that's a nice beer. Failing that, Asahi from the 7-11, do all the other ones, like Asahi Gold, and Asahi Blue, and Red - all the same from what I can tell - but not like the Asahi/Kirin super dry you get.
MOFO

Postby Boonie » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Word of warning.......CARLTON COLD :evil:
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby earle » Friday Mar 07, 2008 1:10 pm

I wonder if its something to do with the dry enzyme. When I was recently in Sapporo viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7571 I drank plenty of the all malt Sapporo and Yebisu at the all you can eat/drink at the Beer Museum and suffered no bad after effects.
earle

Postby STM » Monday Mar 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Word of warning - bought a bottle of imported Japanese beer (Asahi I think but could have been Kirin) at a bar in Sydney (due to pitiful choice of local beers). Not cheap either. On close inspection of label, it turned out to be BUL in Thailand! As you would expect, it was awful.
STM

Postby Chris » Thursday Mar 13, 2008 8:49 am

I'd stick to Saporo!
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby earle » Thursday Mar 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Go the Sapporo, except if this photo is any indication of what is in it.

earle

Postby Shimanto » Thursday Mar 13, 2008 3:50 pm

The dry enzyme would certainly make a lot of sense for feeling like rubbish the next day.
I would love to switch to Sapporo but Asahi (super dry) and kirin (lager) have a monopoly in bars (when it comes to draught beer) this end of the country. And all of the Japanese swear by it (like regular aussies when it comes to megaswil) :?
Mind you there are some pearlers if you look hard enough such as Suntory premium malts and Kirin Ichiban Namashibori (ask for that last one by name)
Shimanto

Return to The beer you buy