Carlton Dry Fusion

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Carlton Dry Fusion

Postby Will » Sunday Mar 09, 2008 12:26 am

I ran into this beer during a night out on the town and after a number of various drinks spotted it sitting in the corner of a fridge behind a bar. Since I'd never had one I ordered a round, not holding high expectations as I've never been impressed by anything from Carlton.

I was very surprised to get what they call a lager flavoured with lime. I would try and comment on the flavour in more depth but I'd long since lost the ability to taste the full flavour of anything earlier in the night. I do remember being somewhat shocked with this though, it just didn't seem like a natural combination for a beer and whilst it was certainly easily drinkable, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that enjoys an actual beer, this was more of a fuzzy, alcoholic lime cordial.

Has anyone else hand any encounters with this brew before?
Will

Re: Carlton Dry Fusion

Postby KEG » Sunday Mar 09, 2008 12:34 am

sounds similar to Miller Chill - which i do not enjoy. at all.
KEG

Postby Will » Sunday Mar 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Here is the official media release for anyone interested:

http://fosters.com.au/enjoy/docs/200701 ... Fusion.pdf
Will

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Mar 09, 2008 5:15 pm

I have also tried Miller Chill and can say I would never let a second sip pass my lips... not even in the middle of the sahara... served by a nude Katherine Heigl... in an oasis... after walking a week straight with no water...

I will admit I like some beers that others would consider terrible... but this can not even be classed as beer... and I question the ethics of calling it a beverage at all :mrgreen:

Then again... Carlton Fusion Dry could be totally different... but I highly doubt it ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday Mar 09, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm not prepared to try Carlton Dry Fusion just on the basis of how foul Miller Chill is. Who would want salt in their beer? You don't drink saltwater so why would you drink saltbeer. Although I do have to say that probably adding lime and salt to Carlton Dry will atleast give it some flavour.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Snowdog » Monday Mar 10, 2008 11:09 am

Kevnlis wrote:I have also tried Miller Chill and can say I would never let a second sip pass my lips... not even in the middle of the sahara... served by a nude Katherine Heigl... in an oasis... after walking a week straight with no water...)

Well..... I'd consider it as long as Katherine Heigl stuck around. But then if it were an oasis, there would be water to be had, so..... :?

I too have had a Miller Chill exactly once last July in the heat of a northwest North American summer day... in other words only about 30C, and left the last bit. I've never been a fan of citrus in my beer anyway, and hated it when my Widmer Hefeweizen got an orange wedge on the glass, or an offered Corona gets fruit stuffed in the bottle, etc. I also tried one of these 'Zest Lime Fusion' ales that was sent to me in a gift pack, and that was disgusting! What's the admiration of this supposedly Mexican style anyway? I won't be trying Carlton Dry Fusion any time soon.... unless Katherine Heigl is serving it to me in freshly wet down sheer lingerie.... :)
Snowdog

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Mar 11, 2008 10:47 am

Iron-Haggis wrote: Who would want salt in their beer? You don't drink saltwater so why would you drink saltbeer..

I've heard of a few people adding table salt to the mash
Tipsy

Postby earle » Tuesday Mar 11, 2008 12:48 pm

I've heard of a few people adding table salt to the mash

I think this is only a teaspoon or so in an attempt to correct the water chemistry. In 23L of brew you probably wouldn't even taste the salt.
earle