Beer Awards

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Beer Awards

Postby MOFO » Friday Mar 28, 2008 9:30 am

http://news.theage.com.au/was-matilda-b ... -21x9.html

Been saying it for a while - Mac's is such a nice drop and can't understand why LN won't bring it over to Oz... I love the Hop Rocker that won best lager, and the best Ale was also Mac's - with their Sassy Red... which is nice, with amarillo it sits among the Little Creatures PA and JSGA as my favourite beers.

Don't know if I agree on the Redback.... I'm not a large fan at all... I thought this was a pretty poor beer nowadays?
MOFO

Re: Beer Awards

Postby StuTee » Friday Mar 28, 2008 1:23 pm

Do you mean brew it here?
You can buy it, I got some Sassy Red a couple of months ago at 1st Choice, and it was a thumping brew! Haven't seen it at Dan's tho, which sucks cos its a fair bit closer...
StuTee

Postby MOFO » Friday Mar 28, 2008 3:58 pm

1st Choice you say...

Righto.. know where I am headed this weekend.

They are pushing Montieths in my corner of Sydney at the moment - I want to see them push Mac's... it would be great to have some pubs with it on tap.
MOFO

Postby Iron-Haggis » Friday Mar 28, 2008 9:06 pm

I have seen Mac's Gold and Sassy Red in 1st Choice and have seen Mac's Gold and Hop Rocker in a Liquorland. You can atleast get those 3 in Sydney from Tooheys. You could try your local Liquorland to get it in for you. If you are willing to buy a case and if the manager is nice enough they'll do it for you.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby pacman » Wednesday Apr 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Have to agree re Hop Rocker. See my posts May/June last year.

Top beer, but no longer on the shelves. Guess there are not enough sales. Can't drink enough to keep it on the local shelves and make my own as well (whether that be by way of HB or MB).
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby Chris » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 6:43 am

I read a review in Beer and Brewer a while back that claimed Sassy Red was the new 'chick beer' (but not in a bad way).

I tried a Mac's years ago that was bloody awful- a 0.1% beer I think. It was worse than Birrell!

Someone was telling me the other day that the 'new redback' was going to sweep the 'lite' beer market. Personally, I've always thought redback was pretty bloody ordinary. Think I'll pass on their new creation- especially the 'lite' part. 'Lite' beer- what a joke :roll:
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Return to The beer you buy