Recent Gems

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Recent Gems

Postby Bizier » Friday Sep 05, 2008 10:59 am

I have just moved to Stanmore, Syd... and the bottlo near the train is great, if a bit pricey.
Anyway, I have tried these beers this week and thought I'd share:

Murrays Porter - without doubt the best porter I have had, and one of the best dark beers in general.
Unibroue - La Fin du Monde - an amazingly clean and tasty strong wit
Unibroue - Maudite - Again, they can hide an extra beer worth of alcohol in the bottle and make it taste that clean
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier - Definitely a rauchbier... not a hint of a doubt there...
Orval - to see if the compost smell was correct - I am not sure it was - amazing beer

I thought the word on the Murrays needs to be spread. I am told the pilsener is the goods, but I am yet to try it.

Anyone else tried any gems they wish to share?
Bizier

Re: Recent Gems

Postby James L » Friday Sep 05, 2008 3:33 pm

I didnt mind that rauchbier... would go well with some smoky bacon... or smoked fish... some sort of smoked smallgood

which one did you get? the marzen? the wheat? or the other one starting with U...Urbock...

I thought that Orval was quite epic...

I have seen, but never tried the others...

I dont wanna sound gay or nothing.... but I like to collect the lids of these obsure beers, chucking a magnet on the end and sticking it to the beer fridge... makes for interesting conversation...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Bizier » Friday Sep 05, 2008 3:47 pm

Marzen Rauchbier
My grandfather used to smoke eels... maybe I should fire the ol' smokehouse up
I actually just found Lazar's Butchery (smallgoods) on Stanmore Rd last night and got a salami. It is is more an oversized chorizo, extremely smokey, so I may put the two together.

I recommend the Murrays Best Extra Porter while it is available - I am sure the Unibrou stuff will be around for a little longer.
Bizier

Postby drsmurto » Friday Sep 05, 2008 4:19 pm

James L wrote:I dont wanna sound gay or nothing.... but I like to collect the lids of these obscure beers, chucking a magnet on the end and sticking it to the beer fridge... makes for interesting conversation...

My food fridge is covered in them, something my partner did a few years back. never thought to collect the bottle tops - i display a bottle of each beer i have tried in my bar. Am 1/4 my way around the bar already with no repeats allowed!
drsmurto

Postby Pollux » Friday Sep 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Welcome to the suburb....... :P

I get any commercials I buy from Vintage Cellars on Parra Rd. The crew in there are great and if you like something they once stocked, they will get it back in for you if you promise to buy it, well, they do for me:D

That said, my 20 month old daughter is on a first name basis with one of the guys that works there 5 days a week, is that a good thing???
Pollux

Postby Bizier » Saturday Sep 06, 2008 10:48 pm

Thanks Pollux, I used to be in Petersham, and then Leichhardt, so I am quite familiar with the area, and love it.

I think that if I am bothered to trek to Parra Rd. I might be going to Camperdown cellars in Camperdown. I always stop though when I can, and their stock just gets better. I have been to Vintage Stanmore, but I don't recall their beer selection... I must test it.

Should maybe do a Stanmore Brewers AGM for product standards testing purposes.

Dan
Bizier

Postby Pollux » Sunday Sep 07, 2008 1:21 pm

Good point on Camperdown Cellars...

I used to live across the road from the one on Kingston, like the view out my bedroom window was the bottle-o....

Unfortunately, those were the days I thought the Carlton Cold shots with the added shot of vodka were good..... :roll:
Pollux

Return to The beer you buy