Why not to start a micro-brewery !!

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Why not to start a micro-brewery !!

Postby Mariton » Wednesday Jan 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi all,

Interesting reading on a website from one of my favourite craft brewers here in Norway. Read "About us" and look for the link on the left for the story. Really meaning to take a drive down to their new brewery one of these days.

http://www.nogne-o.com

Just as a side note what is the retail price of the Coopers and Muntons kits in Aus at the moment. We are still paing around 20 dollars for the Coopers cans in Norway these days - same price for the entire range. The Muntons 3kg kits are around the 45 dollar mark (gold and premium gold). Still not too bad given the price of a pint in the pub here !!

Cheers
Last edited by Mariton on Wednesday Jan 07, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariton

Re: Why not to start a micro-brewery !!

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Jan 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi Mariton,

I am not sure where you are telling us to look for the story.

The basic cans are about $11AUD and the "international" ones are about $14AUD - I have never bought the premium ones, but I think they are around $20AUD.

What is the craft beer scene like in Norway? I am interested because I have Finnish (don't laugh) citizenship and will be spending time up there, and probably travelling around neighbouring countries eventually.
Bizier

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Jan 07, 2009 10:35 pm

No kit in my opinion is worth $45. That is a decent amount of hops you could be getting + extract +various grains.

I love Norwegians because they made beer a 2 letter monosyllabic word... even German efficiency is only 50% efficient on that one.
Bizier

Postby Mariton » Wednesday Jan 07, 2009 10:59 pm

Hey, First click "about us" at the top of the page: http://www.nogne-o.com

Then on the left you can click on the links to the history of the brewery. Some really good photos accompanying the article.

There are a few more breweries appearing here these days. In the old days here most all regions had their own brewery - bu today all the Norwegian regional breweries are owned by Ringnes, which is then owned by Carlsberg. Beer is mass produced in Oslo and sold under the old labels to keep the locals happy - weak pilseners mainly.

Apart from the Craft brewers a resonable beer producer is "Mack Brewery" - the worlds Northern most brewey. I have spent a bit of time at the brewery there and really enjoy their strong malty flavours.
Mariton

Postby WSC » Thursday Jan 08, 2009 8:45 am

That's is a crazy story.

Would have taken years off his life!!!

Still sounds attractive to me though....
WSC

Postby WSC » Thursday Apr 16, 2009 8:28 am

Northern Rivers brewery is for sale if anyone wants to start a brewery.

Guess they have done a lot of the owrk setting up distribution and a good range.

I wonder what they want for it?
WSC

Return to The beer you buy