Aussie Hefeweizen

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Aussie Hefeweizen

Postby Bizier » Tuesday Feb 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Given the poor shelf life and travel-ability of German hefeweizens, can anyone suggest a good Aussie hefeweizen?

I have had Moo Brew once, and I will say that it was definitely fresh, but it didn't really do it for me. I found it far too yeasty and that it had a funny kind of undescribable yeast taste to it. I will have it again if I see it, just to eliminate this being a one off.

Anyone know if any gems out there?
Bizier

Re: Aussie Hefeweizen

Postby timmy » Tuesday Feb 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Best one is the Bridge Road Brewers Bavarian Wheat (at least in my opinion). He also does a really nice Dunkel Weizen

The Snowy Mountains Brewery one (I think it's called Charlottes Hefeweizen) is not bad also.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Feb 11, 2009 9:43 am

Burleigh Hefe is currently on special at Dan Murphys - $55 a carton.

Not had it but i've been told my regular hefe drinkers its a good example.
drsmurto

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Feb 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Bridge Road Brewers Bavarian Wheat... I don't think I can get that one in Syd, but I'll keep an eye out for the label.

Charlotte's is easy to get, I think I am turned off by their slick labels funnily enough... I will pick one of those up.

Burleigh eh? I will have to sniff that out, have never heard of it. "To Dan's !!!"
Bizier

Postby timmy » Wednesday Feb 11, 2009 9:03 pm

You could also try the Grand Ridge Natural Blonde.

They say it's a Belgian Wit but I reckon it's halfway between that and a hefe.

Nearly forgot about Redback too...
timmy

Postby Bizier » Thursday Feb 12, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks Tim,

I have tried both, not a big fan of redback, I find it has too little yeast character and a bit on the bland side. I like the Grand Ridge, but I don't really think that it tastes like a Ger hefe. Also when I go past a grand ridge display, I always end up carrying some dark and/or strong beers home.
Bizier

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Feb 12, 2009 9:26 pm

I've had the Duke Hefe on tap at the Grand Central Platform in Brisbane, and its quite good. Sometimes beer tastes different from a bottle though, and I haven't tried it that way. Charlotte's is pretty good.
Snowdog

Postby Bizier » Saturday Feb 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Got a Burleigh and a Red Oak Organic, and a Erdinger as a control, as they were out of Franziskaner... I have already had the Red Oak, and enjoy it, but it is always nice to try them head to head.
Bizier

Postby Bizier » Monday Feb 16, 2009 12:27 pm

I drank these last night at about a quater to four after some torturous brewing and cleaning... stovetop partials and cereal mashing just don't go together.

Anyway, I have to say that the Red Oak was miles in front in my opinion, has the tartness and phenolic characters I want, and is very flavourful. Burleigh was still good and fresh, though not as bold. I will definitely be visiting the Red Oak pub because I have never been there.
Bizier

Return to The beer you buy