Mac's Hop Rocker

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Mac's Hop Rocker

Postby MOFO » Saturday Jul 11, 2009 10:36 pm

I just found this after looking for Mac's products in all Dan Murphys, and 20 or so other bottle shops, my flatmate finds it at the supermarket/bottlo just down the road that I never have been to figuring it was not a serious botle shop :oops:

How wrong I was, they have all sorts of beers I cant find elsewhere at the likes of Acland cellars, Cloudwine etc

Anyway - I forgot how good this is, absolutely lovely taste from start to finish - starts with a real grape/apple type taste up front wit the cascade rounding it out with a beautiful bitterness. Anyway, after a 6 pack to ensure my memory was OK and it isnt just that I am normally drinking this when I am back home in NZ I went and bought a case of it.

Suggest people try and get their hands on this stuff - and if anyone knows where the rest of the Macs range is hiding (apparently as of March the Gold, Black and Spring tide (low carb) are available to the Australian market - I am after more of the big flavoured beers of theirs like the Sassy Red and Coppertop.

Anyway - I have replaced my red-wine and dark chocolate nightcap with the Hop Rocker and dark chocolate - it works really well too!
MOFO

Re: Mac's Hop Rocker

Postby Will » Sunday Jul 12, 2009 8:09 pm

I've had a few bottles of this at the Platform Bar up here in Brissie and I really enjoyed it. Very nice hoppy aroma and it balances out well into a tasty drop. Definitely one I would recommend.
Will

Postby Iron-Haggis » Sunday Jul 19, 2009 1:07 pm

It's a great beer, Liquorland had it for a little bit and same with First Choice. The only place I've seen it recently is at James Squire Brewhouse. It is a Lion Nathan beer, so if your friendly with any of your independents bottlos ask them if they could order you in a case, you will not be disappointed.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Jul 19, 2009 9:09 pm

My mate who manages the Lucky Coq on Chapel st gave me a taste and Im not a huge fan of it. Maybe because I've been brewing some pretty full on APA's and IPA's lately but it was too bland for my liking.

The ring top lid does add a little excitement and takes me back to the days as a kid at the beach standing on ring pulls cutting my feet open.
chadjaja

Postby Thyraeus » Monday Jul 20, 2009 4:47 pm

had a bottle from Celebration in Port Melbourne last week....a real Hoppy beer (hence the name) ... so one or two is nice....3 or four and you start to feel a little unwell. I'd really like to try their Sassy Red (Saaz hops)....but haven't seen it here. Anyone tried it?
Thyraeus

Postby MOFO » Monday Aug 03, 2009 1:12 pm

The Sassy Red, I may have posted about it before - it is a great beer. It does indeed have a nice red tinge to it, and full of saaz hops, I have tried it out of tap at many pubs back home in NZ and out of bottle. I would say off the keg makes it that much nicer...

I would probably say it is in the same boat as Little Creatues Pale Ale and JS Golden Ale - a really nice beer, but for me not a session beer, I find it a bit heavy to go over 3 pints of this stuff nowadays. Also like JS Golden, it is a little inconsistent... (I would love to know how this is, I would gather it is more likely due to storage, and pub than any change in process at the brewery)

Their Sun Dance during summer is the summer session beer for me - can drink a 6 pack without even noticing, lovely stuff.
MOFO

Postby 2fast » Friday Aug 07, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm from NZ this is the only "macs" i'll drink
2fast

Postby lob » Thursday Aug 20, 2009 7:01 am

If you're in Canberra, the supermarket at Chifley sells Mac's Hop Rocker. Bought a 6-pack last night. ($16.99). They also stock the Gold.

Love the bottle, with it's pull tab cap.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby lob » Saturday Jul 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Na, it's not my cold, it's now a completely different beer. The difference is the most dramatic one I've ever tasted, far more than the Peroni BUL bungle. This is just outright BS. Can hardly taste any hops at all. The back label now says: "...the result of nelson sauvin and nz cascade hops adding a TOUCH of botanical exoticism..." Touch alright. This is the only clue that they've completely altered the recipe, turning Hop Rocker into an unoffensive, flavourless, cheap, mass-produced Pilsener to be drunk at a premium price in wanky pubs by image conscience no-taste tossers. FU Lying Nathan...
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby earle » Monday Jul 18, 2011 8:53 am

When Lion Nathan bought out Mac they placed a 10 year trade restriction on the Macashin family. That finished in about 2009 so the Macashins have released Stoke. Its good stuff, hope they don't sell out again.
earle

Return to The beer you buy