The Best beer you ever had

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Re: The Best beer you ever had

Postby beerdrinker » Saturday Jan 19, 2008 12:40 am

Bought a 6 pack of warsteiner to drink while putting the new keg system together,one of the nicest beers ive tried! so smooth and easy to drink :)
Jesus was a homebrewer
beerdrinker

Postby James L » Monday Jan 21, 2008 11:07 am

Its a shame that its 21 bucks a six pack....

I managed to have a pint of it about 7 years ago at the Moon and Sixpence in Perth... it was their beer of the month.... It was very nice....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby rwh » Monday Jan 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Back OT, the best beer I ever had was Monteith's Black while I was on a skiing trip in NZ. There were 13 of us, and we'd buy slabs of all the different NZ beers, but we could never find slabs of the Monteiths range out in the boonies where we were skiing, so we were forced to buy it by the sixpack. Those would go first, followed by the Speights Old Dark, followed by the Speights Gold medal Ale. The Monteiths Doppelbock Winter Ale was also the goods.
w00t!
rwh

Postby beerdrinker » Tuesday Jan 22, 2008 11:34 pm

I paid 19 bucks at the new dan murphys. I cant believe how big that bottlo is :shock: almost as big as the woolies next to it :lol:
Jesus was a homebrewer
beerdrinker

Postby Paleman » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Not sure if it's the best beer i've ever had, but my favourite is the Hoeggarden Wit. Delicious on a hot day, watching the cricket.

Another favourite of mine is the Weihenstephan Hefeweizen, another delicious beer on a hot day. But impossible to buy where i live.

Probably one of the tastiest beers i have ever had is the Belgian Leffe Blonde.......very tasty, very grainy and unique.

Out of those three, would come the best beer i have ever had. Depending on my mood. :P
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Where in SA do you live Paleman?

I have seen the Weihenstephan range available at several grog shops in Adelaide. If you are not in the city make sure you stock up when you do visit.

I actually prefer the Munich Dunkel to the hefeweizen.....
drsmurto

Postby James L » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 1:18 pm

do you mean the Dunkel Hefeweizen (Brown Label) or the Dunkel Lager which they call Tradition (Red or sometimes Black Label)?
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Paleman » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 1:32 pm

drsmurto wrote:Where in SA do you live Paleman?

I have seen the Weihenstephan range available at several grog shops in Adelaide. If you are not in the city make sure you stock up when you do visit.

I actually prefer the Munich Dunkel to the hefeweizen.....

In Whyalla, about 3 1/2 hours drive. Always grab my fair share of Weihenstephan beers from DAn Murphys when i visit. Along with other great beers ( Duvel )

Alas, visits are few and far between :(
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 1:45 pm

James, not sure where i got the munich bit from but i meant the Hefeweissebier Dunkel - Link

I dont like wheat beers all that much, but i recon a beer made from munich I, dark wheat and some pils might keep me happy.
drsmurto

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 2:59 pm

This is drifting a little, focus is more on the good times surrounding that beer.

Dogger Dan wrote:Ok,

Time for a wander down memory road

What was the best beer you had, not just taste but the best beer. As I mentioned earlier, I had some beers in Mexico that were the Cats' and I can't even remember what they were, simply because of the ambience and the way the were served.

I once had a few cold ones that I had chilled off in the Pacific Ocean (Northern Part) and the were really good, especially with the crabs and beach fire.

Again, I had a few cans that were just the best because of the whole situation surrounding them. So tell me, what was your best beer, and none of this the last one or the one I am about to have.

Dogger
gregb

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 4:17 pm

When I worked in Perth in the mid 90's, we used to go to Fenian's Tavern for lunch on Fridays.
Counter lunch of something like corned beef with white sauce, and topped off with one or two pints of draught Guinness. Mellowing down towards the weekend, and it used to be pure magic.
The day I left Perth on my transfer to Sydney, I has something like 4 or 5 pints. No wonder my farewell speech went on too long and didn't make much sense.
warra48

Re: Re:

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Oliver wrote:
Boonie wrote:... My 3rd child, another boy was born at 3.08pm (Holden Fan here) ...

:D :D

Should have called him Brock :D

No change in mine....my kids=Greatest Memories.

Having said that, when Gilly was walking out for his final Test Innings a few days ago.... I was on holidays not at work :wink:.... I ensured I timed his First ball with the crack of a 2006 Coopers Vintage, bugger of an innings though. He was out for about 14 off 17 and I was only half way through the beer :cry:

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Jan 30, 2008 10:37 pm

gregb wrote:This is drifting a little, focus is more on the good times surrounding that beer.

Dogger Dan wrote:Ok,

Time for a wander down memory road

What was the best beer you had, not just taste but the best beer. As I mentioned earlier, I had some beers in Mexico that were the Cats' and I can't even remember what they were, simply because of the ambience and the way the were served.

I once had a few cold ones that I had chilled off in the Pacific Ocean (Northern Part) and the were really good, especially with the crabs and beach fire.

Again, I had a few cans that were just the best because of the whole situation surrounding them. So tell me, what was your best beer, and none of this the last one or the one I am about to have.

Dogger

One day I was riding my motorcycle in 40c heat, when I got to my mates place there were a dozen or so blokes standing around laughing and drinking. My mate handed me a VB and I swear it was the best beer i've ever had. I was hot, it was cold, blokes were having a good time, it went down a treat.
Tipsy

Postby steve_n » Friday Feb 01, 2008 5:09 pm

i'd go with either Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, James Squire Hop Thief or Duvel.
beer never tells me it's not in the mood.
-----------------------------------------------
PRIMARY:
SECONDARY: autumn ale
BOTTLED: honey wheat ale, first lager
steve_n

Postby Old Gil » Sunday Feb 03, 2008 8:12 am

Anyone tried Kozel, very nice from what i can remember. The only place i've been able to find it though is in a bottlo in St Kilda
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Postby Oliver » Sunday Feb 03, 2008 2:52 pm

Swainy wrote:Anyone tried Kozel, very nice from what i can remember. The only place i've been able to find it though is in a bottlo in St Kilda

Had some last night, in fact. Bought from Parkhill Cellars in Errol Street, North Melbourne. They also have the dark, which is a delicious drink.

Last time I was in Caulfield Cellars in Glen Huntly Road, South Caulfield, they also had it.

It's a great value, at about $4.50 a half litre by the single bottle.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Snowdog » Friday Feb 22, 2008 10:45 am

My best beer I Ever Had was in 1982 when I had my first 1/2 yard glass of Red Hook Ale at Murphy's Pub in the Wallingford district of Seattle. It was new, fresh, and started me down the road of appreciating good beer and introduced me to microbrewing.

However, like its been said, sometimes 'the Best Beer one's ever had' doesn't always have to do with the beer but with the conditions. I remember in the summer of 1984 after hiking about the Idaho wilderness, our car broke down on our way out of the bush and we ended up walking and hitch-hiking half way across Idaho. It was 104F (40C) on the bank clock thermometer when we arrived in Lewiston around 5PM, and we hit the first pub we saw called the 'Mighty Potato' where we ordered a pitcher of (American) Budweiser. Now even in my macro-industrial brew drinking days of the '70s I never cared that much for Budweiser, preferring Rainier, but that pitcher went down so nice... and fast. The second pitcher wasn't as good of course.
Snowdog

Postby Paleman » Friday Feb 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Just in keeping with the topic, one beer that i really, really enjoyed was at the Ettamogah Pub, NSW.

We had been travelling all day, destination the Blue Mountains, and it was very hot. Pulled into the pub for some photos and a quick beer. The old man handed me a pint of an icey cold house tap beer, it might have been a Tooheys Draught, it was bloody delicious.

Another beer i really enjoyed, and came close to heaven, was a Hoegarrden, from the tap, in a little Belgian Pub in Aulbury.

We were there for my daughter playing basketball for South Australia. She had just scored the winning points in the dying seconds against the Victorian Bushrangers, for her team to make the finals. I was shaking like a dog defacating razorblades after the game............the tap poured Hoggy was a delicious way for me to calm down and celebrate. :lol:
Paleman

Postby pacman » Friday Mar 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Had the good fortune to be in Edinburgh in January. When visiting a pub for the first time I made it my practice to try cask ales in preference to anything else on offer. McEwens 70/- and Caledonian 80/- were standouts, both being rich malty brews with hints of toffee on the back(?) palate...well, somewhere on the palate at any rate. Great drinking in winter, but perhaps they wouldn't be so appealing on a hot summer day.

Cask ale wasn't, however, always what one would hope for. When visiting a pub for the first time I quickly got in the habit of asking the barman for his recommendation. Most, but not all recommendations, were good. Mentioned this to a barman in Bath, and he informed me that not all pubs/personnel new how to handle/dispense cask ales. He then proceeded to dispense the worst cask ale I was to taste during my UK stay!

Wadsworth 6X Ale was also outstanding, as were some Badger Ales at St Stevens Tavern opposite Westminster.

The best ever? Can't say. Each was brilliant on its day.

But got a surprise at 1st Choice the other day. 500ml bottles of Bitter & Twisted from Harviestown Brewery in Alva Scotland for $5 each! Picked up a couple at a Waitrose supermarket in London for 2 quid each while I was there. Best bottled beer for so long, and the ones from 1st Choice were almost as good, despite the 20,000km voyage.
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby petesbrew » Wednesday Mar 19, 2008 10:47 am

I can't really remember the actual tastes, but it would have to be a handful of beers I had on a Europe backpacker trip 8 years ago.
a Leffe Bruin in the town square in Brugge
a stein enjoyed at The Augustiner beirgarten in Salzburg,
a pint of guinness in a small pub in Doolin
my first 4pack of Boddingtons cans bought from the safeway in Fulham
any hand-pulled pint I found in every UK country pub
a Mythos over a greek salad, bread,tzaztiki & dolmades on Mykonos Harbour, whiie watching the world go by.
and my first toucan stout.
petesbrew

PreviousNext

Return to The beer you buy