The Best beer you ever had

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Postby JohnL » Tuesday Sep 13, 2005 8:13 pm

tommo wrote:
Got thoroughly embarassing on Tennents Super Lager ( WORST BEER )

When living in England, I bought 3 cans of Tennents Super and some cider, for a quiet drink after work..................................................... Not to sure what happened after that!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I formed a new group called Alcoholics-Unanimous. If you don't feel like a drink, you ring another member and he comes over to persuade you.

Richard Harris
JohnL

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Sep 14, 2005 10:03 am

tommo,
The beer in portugal was probably either Super Bock or crystal, lived there for a few years and when its the only beer they have you acquire a taste, but it's not much cop!
One of my favorites was after a tour of the heineken brewery in Amsterdam, blah blah blah. It all comes down to the atmosphere I think that makes some beers memorable.
Cheers
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby gregb » Wednesday May 23, 2007 10:13 am

Had an occasion last Sunday. I ran the Sydney Half-Marathon, got home and had a lager that I'd been saving for the day.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Chris » Wednesday May 23, 2007 10:24 am

Another post from the archives.

Best I ever had was a Urquel after a few weeks on Yank beer. No great story behind it.
Chris

Postby Boonie » Wednesday May 23, 2007 12:37 pm

The best beer(s) I have had were after my 3 Children were born.

My daughter was born at 11pm at night, left hospital at 1pm and sat by myself at home and had numerous beers. I think it was a TED at the time.

My son was born at 9.00 on 31/12/1998. My wife told me to go to the New Years Party at my Mums........what a night that was, I had a combination of Beer, Scotch and whatever you can think of. Finished at 4.00am.

My 3rd child, another boy was born at 3.08pm (Holden Fan here), went home at 6.00pm and cracked a HB, Coopers Lager I think.
Couldn't have too many as I had to take the kids back to the hospital at 7.00pm.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby buscador » Wednesday May 23, 2007 5:54 pm

some years ago now....bonfires on the beach, we would bury SNPA kegs in the sand away from the fire in case the rangers came along our path..

one morning i came down to my lifeguard tower and with binoculars i spotted a half buried keg in the sand,(it had been hit by the tide overnite and revealed to my eyes by a higher order!)

so i grabbed a shovel and somehow got it over up onto my tower and hid it for the day under towels..

at about 5pm the sunset lifeguard drove by to tell me to go home and i asked him if i could stay on, he was surprised when he saw me sticking the keg into the backseat, we spent the next 2 hours driving on the sand, sucking on the tap left on the keg by some partygoer, i think we killed a quarter of a keg between us...

best sunset beer (cold or warm) hands down - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby Chris » Friday May 25, 2007 10:08 am

Let me get this right...

You were driving around on the beach, sucking on a lifeguard... :P
Chris

Re: The Best beer you ever had

Postby warra48 » Friday May 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Dogger Dan wrote:
What was the best beer you had?

Dogger

Too many to recall all of them, but I particularly remember draught Guinness on tap from Fenians pub when I lived in perth WA. We used to call it mother's milk.
Last night I had a cracker Wicked Elf Pale Ale from a new micro-brewery The Little Brewing Company in Port Macquarie. Beatiful malty taste, wonderful citrus fruity aroma, beautifully balance bitterness and that lovely Cascade hop flavour. Gave one to my brother in law, and he just had to go and buy some for himself on the way home.
warra48

Postby buscador » Friday May 25, 2007 6:44 pm

Chris- would the tale be better if the other lifeguard was named CJ? 8)

I have that story too...and the memory to go with it!

But, no, me and a mate, boozing at sunset, and PAing swimmers to stay close to shore...guard hours are over, time to party!

b
"Chick lifeguards, although a bit salty, taste great in locked up towers and are always up for pier jumps in panties..all you have to do is ask!"
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby rahne » Friday May 25, 2007 6:49 pm

Beez Neez by far especially when bought on tap
Nice smooth beer with a slight honey aroma
and a honey after taste
rahne

Re:

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Boonie wrote:... My 3rd child, another boy was born at 3.08pm (Holden Fan here) ...

:D :D
Oliver
Administrator

Postby James L » Friday Jan 18, 2008 10:52 am

Weihenstephan VITUS... epic
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Jan 18, 2008 11:00 am

I think the best beer I ever had was my first real HB. When I arrived to QLD from the US it was mid 30's and the humidity was sky high, back home it was below zero and snowing :shock:

I had to take a bus from Brisbane to Bundaberg and it was deadly hot. I met my FIL and the first thing he did was to shake my hand and fill it with a HB which I skulled rather quickly and asked for a few more ;)

Best commercial beer I have had to date is Knappstein Lager!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Old Gil » Friday Jan 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Has to be Guiness, and not out of the can either. On tap only. And from a pub that actually sells enough of it to not have festy beer lines
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Postby drsmurto » Friday Jan 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Swainy wrote:Has to be Guiness, and not out of the can either. On tap only. And from a pub that actually sells enough of it to not have festy beer lines

As in the free pint you get with the brewery tour in Dublin. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

EDIT - not quite as profound a post as i had intended my 1000th to be......
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Jan 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Congrats on the grand Doc!

I must say that I find Guinness on tap in Australia leaves a lot to be desired!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drtom » Friday Jan 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Swainy wrote:Has to be Guiness, and not out of the can either. On tap only. And from a pub that actually sells enough of it to not have festy beer lines

Speaking of which, beware the Kilkenny at the Redback. Three out of three times I've got a pint thereof, it has been off.

T.
drtom

Postby rwh » Friday Jan 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Strangely enough, the last time I had a pint of Kilkenny at the Corkman Irish Pub (just down the road from the Redback) it was off too. They cheerfully refunded my money though. Perhaps someone left a semi-load of kegs out in the sun over Christmas? :?
w00t!
rwh

Postby Old Gil » Friday Jan 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Not really a fan of Kilkenny. but the missus loves it. She's the one that made me try Guiness. Although i haven't tried Kilkenny for about 4 years, maybe my tastes have developed a little since then. I vow to have one next time i'm at the pub (if they have it on tap)
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Jan 18, 2008 9:06 pm

If your last Guinness was early 2000 then you would be right in saying it was an excellent beer. Mid 2000 it went to shit and never came back :(

Unfortunately the bottles have gone the same route and now contain a lovely little midget :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

PreviousNext

Return to The beer you buy