Help from the Newcastle Chapter

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Help from the Newcastle Chapter

Postby the Baron » Sunday May 22, 2005 12:27 pm

G'day Newcastleians, For a Birthday present I got given two tickets to Newcastle by aeroplane, I will be arriving at 21st June at 7:10 (yeah it is a Tuesday, sorry about this). Looked on a few websites and they have said this about transport:

Distance from CBD: CBD is 20 km from airport
Travel Time: Travel time to CBD is 20 mins by car (approx.)
Car rentals: For discounted car rental rates from Newcastle, book now
Taxi Taxi fare: $33 (approx.)
Bus Foggs Airport Shuttle fare: $35 adults, $6 for every other family member
Parking: Parking at airport: $15

I will not be hireing a car as I am a cheap bastard. Was wondering if anyone would be able to pick me and the girl up from the airport and take us somewhere (preferably not in the boot of your car to a wooded area that easily conceals dead bodies). We will pay for your efforts (basically any price cheaper then a taxi or the shuttle). Also any ideas on what to do or where to go in Newcastle are also appreciated. Thanks guys.
p.s. We have to be at the airport at 7:00am on Thursday to fly home, if anyone can help then it would great too. Once again thanks
This is the writ of the Baron, thou art truly blessed.
the Baron

Postby flosso » Monday May 23, 2005 12:00 am

Gday Baron,

I used to live in Newcastle myself but moved to Melbourne a few years ago so can't help you out in person. However there's a mob called Port Stephens Caoches that also provide a bus service, all the way to Newcastle Rail Station which is fairly close to some beaches and a place called 'The Brewery', last time I went there they had a couple of on-site brews to try (including alcoholic ginger beer on tap), but that was a while ago and my pallette was a bit less mature then.

Anyway, from what I can work out the price from the airport to the city is $5.90 (or 2.95 concession). They leave every hour or so weekdays and every couple of hours on the weekend - they this site anyway: http://pscoaches.com.au/airport.php.

Best of luck - if you're into the beaches then try the Bar Beach to Merewether stretch (not far from the city at all) or a bit further out is Dudley and Redhead. You should be able to get public buses to all these places, so enjoy your stay!!!
flosso

Postby Merlin » Monday May 23, 2005 4:45 pm

Just don't mention the Knights to any of the locals :lol:

(for non east-coasters thats Newcastles rugby league team. 0 and 10 so far this year. ouch)
Merlin

Postby the Baron » Monday May 23, 2005 7:23 pm

Thanks muchly Flosso, $5.90 is a lot nicer then $30
the Baron

Postby Antsvb » Monday May 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Merlin,
No-one needed to bring THAT up. Not wanting to use the same old excuses but just wait to we have SOME of our top 20 players available again.

Baron,

Can't help with transport issues. Will be working at the time. Flosso's option sounds the goods; not real sure about other options as airport is sort of out of the way. Don't have many reasons to head that way. "Happy Cabby" is a local airport transfer company if you want to get a price; think their on the web. A mate uses them to get to Sydney.

What sort of places are you into frequenting and I should be able to give you some options? Shame your here mid week. Town doesn't really start to happen until Wednesday night onwards but this will still give you a decent night out (student night some places I think).
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Postby Merlin » Tuesday May 24, 2005 2:52 pm

Hey Antsvb,

I'm actually ex-Newcastle and a Knights man myself. I still kick myself for declining an invite to the '97 grand final ('cause I thought we'd lose! :oops: ). Don't worry mate, its just the law of averages catching up, we'll be back!

Cheers

Merlin
Merlin

Postby the Baron » Tuesday May 24, 2005 8:27 pm

Antsvb, have never been to Newcastle and actually have no idea what exactly is there, I am open to any ideas from anyone.
the Baron

Postby Antsvb » Tuesday May 24, 2005 10:24 pm

'97 grand final

Ahhh, I stare at my ticket on my wall as I sit here. 28 September '97. What a day! :D :D :D
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Postby flosso » Wednesday May 25, 2005 12:36 pm

What a day indeed - was poor back then so watched it with some mates (I think we were drinking Tassie Bitter - shows how poor I was) - once Darren Albert crossed the line the 6 or 7 of us watching all jumped up and formed a massive group-hug, jumping up and down, in shock and disbelief, cheering ourselves silly.

The atmosphere around the place for weeks after that was unbelievable - it was a period of my life I'll never forget.

I was lucky enough to run into Johnsy at Melbourne Airport in December a few years ago of all places. I'd just received a digital camera for my birthday and luckily had it on me - one of my fondest photos.
flosso

Postby Jay » Thursday Jun 09, 2005 2:56 pm

Baron, Things to do in Newcastle.
How long yah here for?
The beaches here are some of the best in the world (this may cause a stir but this is my opinion). Should Check em out, Pity it's winter.
Up in Nelson Bay (30-40 min north) they have Whale watching cruises and the whales came through the other day so I suppose it's the right time of year (All those humpbacks that are apparently choking up the oceans and need culling according to a certain community of scientists/restauranteurs)
Or you could probably try and get in on a hunter valley wine tour.
Cheers,
Jay.

The Knights shall rise again.
Jay

Postby the Baron » Saturday Jun 11, 2005 7:36 am

Thanks Jay, am only there for 48hrs r&r but might try and cram in the whales and the wine and the beach. I am really easy if I do them all or if I do none at all as I finish exams the day before so my brain will be fried. Is there camping sites near the beaches as I might just pack my swag and chill there for the time, heading off to the wineries for supplies if needed.
the Baron

Postby the Baron » Monday Jun 20, 2005 11:51 pm

Well, Haven't heard anything on the Tales and Ales forum. I am heading off tommorrow morning, I think I will just wander around town and see what there is to see all in my own time. Thanks
the Baron

Postby flosso » Tuesday Jun 21, 2005 12:31 am

Gday Baron - sorry for the extremely late notice but if you want camping spots near a beach then I think Redhead is the closest beach suburb with a caravan park. There are other caravan parks around Lake Macquarie as well (Belmont I think) but none really any closer to the city that are near beaches.

Just grab a map from the airport - they'll have a few brochures about the place and hopefully a list of caravan parks.
flosso

Postby Antsvb » Friday Jun 24, 2005 1:07 pm

Baron,

So how was your time in God's country?

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Return to General discussion