stiffling

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: stiffling

Postby Bum » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Why would I? The Constitution doesn't spell out my rights. It spells out the way Government is formed and is expected to act. I don't look to it to grant me the right to drive a car or have a family or not be killed. There are laws for all of that stuff. Plenty of laws protecting our right to free speech.
Bum

Postby Bum » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:06 pm

speedie wrote:chris if you have control of the delete key you have freedom of speach!

Stuff the delete key. I want the ban-hammer.

This board needs to feel the cleansing touch of fire pretty badly.
Bum

Postby speedie » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:07 pm

then who keeps deleting some of the content!
speedie

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Look, without wanting to get to entrenched in semantics, you don't have a right to drive a car. The term 'right' is fairly narrowly defined legally.

The Commonwealth government does actually have the power to censor- it can, due to the fact that (as you stated) the Constitution does not stop it from acting in this manner.

And please refer to my initial post on the matter, which was a fairly tongue-in-cheek statement narrowly framed by reference to the Constitution, not legislation. :roll:
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby Bum » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:23 pm

I most certainly do have a right to drive a motor vehicle - this right is granted to my be the drivers licence I had the right to apply for. This right was granted to me when I passed the relevant tests. This right can be taken from me by the government. I am not born with it. You seem to have a very American view of the concept of rights.

I'm not sure how you can present my own point to me and then use rolleyes. The Constitution is not a document that sets out to define my place in society - it sets out the role and terms of Government.

Look out Aborigines! Chris is coming for you because we don't have an Emancipation Proclamation either!
Bum

Postby speedie » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:26 pm

sounds like another pol pot maniac too me (brother number one)the hammer ban
chris got your humuor!
speedie

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Actually you have licence to drive a vehicle, not a right.

I fail to see where I stated the Constitution defined your place in society... And how can anyone be emancipated when they were never formally enslaved? And 'Freedom of Speech' is an American concept more so than an Australian one...

The 'rolleyes' was due to the fact that someone seems to have gotten this worked up over a throw-away comment about the Constitution.

Remind me never to tell you a knock-knock joke- I might be stuck explaining that the door being closed (and hence knocking being required) in no way is an indictment of your social position...

And lighten up. No-one's out to get you.

Psychostick
Chris

Postby matr » Tuesday Oct 19, 2010 10:48 pm

You got sand in ya gina again Bum? Is speedie upsetting you?

Play nice boys... :lol:
matr

Postby Bum » Wednesday Oct 20, 2010 8:25 am

No, well, yes, but that is another thread entirely. People saying stupid things are shitting me.

For instance - people who say something is only a right when a Government capitalises the word first. Stupid. I do have a right to drive a motor vehicle (which is granted by the licence I have attained) and that cannot be taken from me until I fail to uphold the responsibilities entailed with that right. A right is an abstract concept not something that is "inalienable" as some would have us believe.

You only need to look at America to see how damaging a Bill of Rights can be. You've got a formidable political force forming there where the proponents are wearing tri-corner hats and carrying blunderbusses and trying to take society backwards 200 years. Once you start defining things people start to use them as limits not as minimum standards. And quite frankly you only need to spend a day in any large US city to truly see how few people there actually get access to many of their beloved Rights.

Rights are only granted us by societal norms. That's it.
Bum

Postby Chris » Wednesday Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Bum wrote: People saying stupid things are shitting me.

Ah, so when someone says something that you disagree with, they are stupid. Now that we have that definition out of the way...

All this because of a joke. I'd hate to see what would happen if someone brought up religion... :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Psychostick
Chris

Postby speedie » Wednesday Oct 20, 2010 8:49 pm

chris you were actually posting god :wink:
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Oct 23, 2010 9:52 am

As per my wife and her handy-dandy law textbook:

'Right' is defined by Butterworth's Concise Australian Legal Dictionary, 3rd Edition as:
Generally, a benefit or claim entitling a person to be treated in a certain way. More exact definitions vary according to the theoretical frameworks of the jurisprudential schools. The most frequently used definitions are those of Wesley Newcombe Hohfeld, who drew a distinction between rights and liberties; Ronald Dworkin, who developed a theory of rights in Taking Rights Seriously (1977); and the natural law theorist John Finnis, particularly as formulated in his Natural Law and Natural Rights (1980)

So I think there may be some confusion in this thread concerning liberties and rights. Not that it matters to me, nor is it all that important at the end of the day. Speedie's bitching of his lack of freedom of "speach" (I assume this is some form of new hybrid stone-fruit) is moot as this is a forum with strict quidelines, whether they be implicitly expressed or merely implied. Step outside those guidelines and your wayward posts will disappear to the Internet's Gulag, never to be seen again. That simple.
bullfrog

Postby warra48 » Saturday Oct 23, 2010 11:55 am

The topic title should be moderated to read "Stifling". There's no such word as "stiffling".
Spelling Nazi bit over.

This is my view of things, from 1 Corinthians, verses 23 and 24.
Adapt to your needs and views as you see appropriate, or dismiss as you see fit. I'm not here to proselytise.

"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial.
"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive.
Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
warra48

Postby rotten » Saturday Oct 23, 2010 10:17 pm

warra48 wrote:Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

I hear ya warra48, although even I just seek for my own good from time to time. If I didn't I would still be earning min wage, My seeking does help my employers though.

That is out of context though, You make a valid point.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Oct 24, 2010 8:15 am

I thought the spelling mistake was perfect given who started the thread.
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 24, 2010 10:44 am

keeps gettin betta
speedie

Previous

Return to General discussion