Dear Speedie

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Dear Speedie

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 20, 2010 10:58 am

Dear Speedie

We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot.

Can we start again?

How about you introduce yourself to us, what you do for a living, your brewing journey and what beer you most like to brew and drink. You mentioned brewing awards so I'm happy to hear what success you have had over the years.

I mean this sincerely, not to try and make fun of you but to learn about you and from you.

Are you up for it? I'm extending an olive branch here, i hope you take it.

Yours sincerely
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Re: Dear Speedie

Postby warra48 » Friday Aug 20, 2010 11:02 am

Hear hear!
I'll endorse that.
warra48

Postby speedie » Saturday Aug 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Well DR
I started brewing years back now (1977) there wasn’t much about in those days as home brewing wasn’t as popular
My very first brew was done from a bag of stuff from k-mart I think it was called Andy cap after the comic character
It was foul and put me off brewing ,thinking back now I probably contributed to its failure what with little knowledge in sanitation ,I persisted from there onto your can stuff coppers muttons etc
Bought extra unhopped liquid malt to add to things, after doing this for sometime started to buy 20 liter pails of coppers unhopped malt and basically experimenting with different combinations of hop yeast etc.became more interested in the art bought many books did heaps of reading about AG
Thought lets try it a have never looked back
Must admit to pouring a lot of brew down the drain in those early days, nothing beats experience
My first batches where 20litre brews you know what I mean the old plastic converted coopers pails into lauter tun, birco electric urns, glass carboy fementers etc
I then fabricated my 120 liter system out of an old inner tank from a stainless steel solar hot water system used it to teach myself and other how to brew
Then build a bigger system pushed it to 400 liters and have been using it for some time now
The last addition to it was a complete 450 litre solar hot water system installed onto my roof, man this really cuts down brew time now what with being able to dough in with hot water and not wait around while the kettles get hot hey and it save me on gas bills also!
There are 10 regular brewers will all put in and buy in bulk we all do equal amounts of work and we all enjoy the company and learning curve
To date I (we) have 25 awards from the last Perth beer awards one of the highlights was a gold for a bright smoked ale and a gold for my vintage ale which believe it or not is 16 years old now
Hope that this received well with the cyber brewing fraternity
Regards speedie
Ps never been one for punctuation etc.
:roll:
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Aug 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Let me be the first to say "holy shit!"

Now I'm planning on how to fit a 400L system into my garage! :P
bullfrog

Postby SuperBroo » Tuesday Aug 24, 2010 11:47 am

I'm next.... 'Holy Shit'....

i'm battling to convince 'she who must be obeyed' to allow another fermenter, let alone a 400 litre system...

LOVE IT :)

thanks for the info Speedie...

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby speedie » Tuesday Aug 24, 2010 8:31 pm

no worries guys this has been good chatting
just picked up a heap of pils, wheat ,dark munich and crystal malt
will have to start designing more brews up
am keen to use the last 2.5 kgs of the nelson sauvin hop it is a really interesting breed
the last batch that we made was 440 liters and we used 2.2 kgs in it and it rates @ 13.3% AA
we mash hopped extensive kettle hopping then hopped the ferment also
the aroma was devine!
i wanted a deep cooper colour and got it, from memory i also used some rye malt
got a bronze for it so was stoked
cheers speedie :wink:
speedie

Postby gregb » Saturday Sep 04, 2010 6:17 pm

In this thread
speedie wrote:... Since my very first post I have only tried to be of help but it appears that the new kid on the block syndrome has had an effect on the elite group of astute brewers!

No speedie, far too many of your posts have been (as mentioned elsewhere) incoherent ramblings with only a tenuous link to the topic at hand. We have had many new members over the years, My observation is that this site is welcoming and friendly.

You may need to be aware of a couple of points of etiquette:
- Write your posts with a thought to readability. Casing, punctuation etc; the primary school stuff.
- This is not the place to be creating new words, nor is it the place to be starting whole new uses of words. Keep the English conventional.
- Be prepared to cite your reference. This is particularly important when you are advocating unconventional approaches or calculations.
- Before committing a post, proof read it and check that it is in the appropriate forum.
- Yes, homebrew/beer (and other) forums go great with a couple of cold ones, but try to be still thinking straight while you are here.

As an aside, these points work well on any other internet fora you may be on. Myself, I'm a regular poster on three, and quiet member on three more. The basics such as the above have stood me in good stead.
gregb

Postby earle » Monday Sep 06, 2010 9:07 am

gregb wrote: My observation is that this site is welcoming and friendly.

Agreed, thats one of the main reasons I enjoy coming to this site. There are other bigger brewing forums which I also frequent that have a higher volume of traffic and a larger number of knowledgable brewers (no disrespect to anyone here of course as I get plenty of help here) but there is also a larger number of wankers, newbs are often shot down and flame suits are often required. Speedie if youthink you're getting a rough reception here, trust me it is nothing compared to what you would get on these other sites.

Since my very first post I have only tried to be of help but it appears that the new kid on the block syndrome has had an effect on the elite group of astute brewers!

Speedie you might like to go back and re-read posts. The only person I can recall making a claim to be a elite, astute brewer is you with 30 years of experience and 400L system (Remember how you challenged me in a PM based on the fact that yours was bigger than mine? (Are you compensating for something?)). With these credentials its seems you don't need to explain yourself to anyone.

Cheers n beers :D
(Apparently a sign-off like this makes everything OK)
earle

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 01, 2010 12:33 am

Now that it is late September and we have had more objective posts
What is the general consensus?
Dr Replies welcome?
:twisted:
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Friday Oct 01, 2010 3:33 am

Still only talking to the good doctor? Then I'd have to still say that you're a twat. The only reason you direct all of your posts towards Smurto is that he is the only other poster on this board that has mentioned competitions.

Here's a hint that may make people less inclined to hate you so much that they'd like to smash your head into a footpath so hard that your teeth become part of the aggregate - stop thinking that you're such the effing big shot with your big eff-off fermenter and the fact that you've entered a competition or two.

Please do take that and learn from it. Otherwise, please get the hell off our forum.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 01, 2010 8:14 pm

That’s a little agro isn’t it?
What do? You mean by our site!
There is no need to post threats towards me so do be aware of potential litigation
Jeremiah
:?:
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Oct 02, 2010 8:02 pm

HA!

I'll use your type of emphasis (CAPS) here, just so you get the point.

Don't speak about the law when you clearly know so very little about it and are clearly not connected to the law fraternity. Nothing that I have EVER said to you has EVER constituted any threat from ANY legal point-of-view. Once again you are speaking above your level of experience and proving yourself to be a twat.

Oh, and yes, the post was aggressive. You shit me, plain and simple. Stop acting like you're god's gift to brewing and stop speaking about things you know nothing about, then people won't dislike you.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 9:59 am

bullfrog
It would be fair to reason from your statement that if people no nothing of what they are speaking about you will like them?
Must be strange way to live in your area!
Ignorance with love
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 11:27 am

Speaking authoritatively on things that one clearly knows nothing about adds arrogance to one's ignorance. People asking questions to broaden their knowledge is fine, but acting as if you have all the answers when you mainly barely even seem to grasp most of the concepts is beyond infuriating. It is this frustrating habit of yours that has stemmed the most of the animosity that I hold towards you and your posts.

I hope that answers your post; it was difficult to glean what you were trying to say.
bullfrog

Postby earle » Monday Oct 04, 2010 8:55 am

BTW, +1 on most of what Bullfrog has said. Reading the majority of responses to your posts Speedie it becomes obvious to all except the thickest that you really do shit most people here.
earle

Postby speedie » Monday Oct 04, 2010 9:56 pm

so that makes me ?
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 12:34 am

speedie wrote:so that makes me ?

This doesn't seem to follow anything that has been posted. Who are you speaking to? What the hell are you trying to say?

Do you honestly not see how your posts hurt people's heads?
bullfrog

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Gonna pull this thread back up as it looks like Speedie needs to re-read about how we work here and why there's so much animosity towards him. He didn't learn the first time he read it all, hopefully he'll take something from it on round 2.

Speedie, go back and re-read this whole thread.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Friday Apr 22, 2011 5:49 pm

the aggro is coming from the frog by sounds of it
teeth pavment stuff
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 5:59 pm

You said that last time. Are you really not going to take anything new from re-reading this thread? Really?
bullfrog

Next

Return to General discussion