Camping Anyone?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Camping Anyone?

Postby RUM57L » Wednesday Sep 22, 2010 7:29 am

Hi All,

Since we got the good weather coming up soon I was wondering if anyone wants to share any camping stories or maybe offer up some knowledge on good sites.

Guess I'll share some now then...

Recent trip to one of our fav spots was Stockton Beach Newcastle, NSW.
The missus and I went up on a Friday afternoon and found a decent spot, made camp in the dark.. forgot the extra pegs for the tarp.. couldnt cook on our stove, tried to cook over a fire dug into the sand, used all our wood on the first night.
Rained all night once we were went to sleep, very lucky not to get wet.
The rest of the group arrived saturday and we spent the day fishing and driving around the dunes, the afternoon was spent eating cobb cooker cooked pizzas and drinking, was treated to some of my mates homebrew tooheys old which went down rather well!

Trip Results:
1 undersized flathead caught and released.
2 destroyed campchairs (result of pizza overload & clumsyness)
New tyres were tested on the sand and very happy with them
First taste of homebrewed black beer
RUM57L

Re: Camping Anyone?

Postby RUM57L » Monday Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm

lol.. well that went well.
No campers here
RUM57L

Postby earle » Monday Sep 27, 2010 1:41 pm

I also enjoy getting out camping. Haven't had much chance lately as have been studying as well as working full time but have just finished studying so looking forward to getting out there. Our favourite local place was Cathu State Forest about 60km south of here but it has been trashed by dirtbikers. Most of the local national parks here are only accessible by boat so have to look furhter afield.

Drinking homebrew beer and camp oven cooking are favourites when camping, try to include some walks to offset them. Pizza's are also great in the campoven.

I'm pretty sure there are other campers here.
earle

Postby warra48 » Monday Sep 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Camping. Now, that's a memory.
Last camping trips I did was with the boys on surfing weekends in the mid 1970s. That was when I was living in New Zealand.

These days, I like my comfort too much to bother with camping. Besides, I don't think mrs warra would go for it. She had enough of it during a 5 months around Europe tour at the time of my surfing trips.
warra48

Postby Sonny » Monday Sep 27, 2010 3:37 pm

RUM57L wrote:lol.. well that went well.
No campers here

Mate, I camp. Not a lot, but maybe three to four times per year. Have a 4WD now and am looking forward to getting away from the crowds. This is when I take the wife and kids.
I also do more camping on my bike, attending bike rallies etc. That's when a group of filthy bikers stand around a bonfire, drinking grog, swearing and calling out rude things to the women folk. Great times are had by all.

Stories, I got stories...........One day.

Bear with us.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby speedie » Monday Sep 27, 2010 8:10 pm

sonny when i get time i will post some photos of our sharkbay trip for your concideration
speedie

Postby rotten » Monday Sep 27, 2010 10:06 pm

I live in the riverland, some of the best camping areas in the country. My favourite spot (don't tell anyone else) is ...........................

It's called Lindsay Island, basically where SA,VIC & NSW meet. Great fishing, sometimes, not now the flows are too high. In fact I can't get there now anyway the bridge is out. If you want the river, creeks, fishing, drinking, peace and quite, don't come here, it's always packed!!

:D
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby speedie » Monday Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm

smoke on the water fire in the skys
speedie

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 5:58 am

speedie wrote:smoke on the water fire in the skys

That was Lake Geneva, Switzerland.
Not sure it is ever like that at Lindsay Island.
Although I suppose it could be a deep purple colour at times.

:D :lol: :P
warra48

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 7:10 am

Now they come.. out of the woodwork :lol:

Good to see there's some people who like to get out of the brewing room / sheds and away from the masses.

Your not wrong Earle, camp oven cooking can be very rewarding, we knock out a mean mexican mince that we eat with pita / wraps.. gets the insides warm on those cold evenings around the fire.

Warra - Surfing in the 70's around NZ .. wow.. that would of been a great experience.. the music and cars of the day..your very lucky mate.

G'day Sonny,

What 4x4 do you have? we have a small group that gets out around different parts of NSW often, we're usually the ones to try the harder routes .. lol.. ahem trickier tracks and find a nice spot well away from others were we can have a fire and drink and laugh, kids welcome as usually theres 4-5 kids running around in our group.

Hi Rotten,

Your spot sounds very inviting, once i get my new 4x4 and save for a camp trailer i plan to visit S.A so i may look it up, don't worry i wont tell no one else :)
RUM57L

Postby earle » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 8:43 am

What sort of camp trailer are you looking at? We've been saving for a while, hopefully purchasing soon. There seems to be heaps of different types, just not up here. Planning a trip to Brissie soon to the http://www.caravanqld.com.au/showsevents/pre-christmas-caravan-and-camping-sale.aspx to check some out seriously.
earle

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 10:15 am

G'Day Earle,

There's alot of different types and prices vary so much.
This topic of selecting a good camper has been a regular debate within our household.

Basically we cant afford a hard floored camper, so will be looking at an xtreme offroad soft floored camper.

GIC Campers are offering good prices and are of good quality, the extra awning / sunroom is something we'll require.

The prices are pretty reasonable from these guys.

Do you have an idea on what your after?
RUM57L

Postby earle » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 10:25 am

Probably the same - soft floor offroad.

Looked at desert edge - the trailer is aluminium manufactured by the same mob that makes Stacer boats - looks well constructed and had alko rubber independant suspension. Has an oztrail tent which may be the downside. I think GIC also uses oztrail tents. They are made in China which may or may not be a bad thing.

Have been looking at customline in Brisbane. They make basic rugged units and their own tents. Seem to get a good wrap on most 4wd/camping forums. Also have a tropical roof option which is a plus up here.

While independant suspension is better than axle/spring it is not that common in this price range. People seem to take there axle/spring trailers up the cape etc no worries - I think its a matter of driving to the conditions.

When weighing up where limited money should be spent I'm thinking you will use the tent every time, whereas independant susp would be an advantage only on occasions. People seem to suggest brakes are pretty essential even though under 750kg they are not legally required.

Also looking at Camel and Trackabout but of course will come down to specs and what we can afford.
earle

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 10:38 am

Very true,

As anything 4wding / towing its your driving style that makes the difference.

The only issues i have with canvas is what grade and how it is treated i.e waterproofed by dipping or spraying.

We'd like the idea of a rather cheap off road camper that we can begin with, and mod it further along the way or after a period of time, work out what we need or dislike.
RUM57L

Postby earle » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 11:18 am

Yep, Chinese canvas used to get a really bad wrap with good reason. 20 years ago my parents spent a couple of grand on a Great Outdoors cabin style canvas tent made in Brisbane. At the same time you could get an equivalent chinese made tent from Big W for 1/4 to 1/2 the price. We met up with someone that had the cheapo that was 3 years old and it already was in shite condition. Admittedly my parents looked after ours but the canvas was still in good condition after 15-20 years.

I think that some chinese made canvas has come ahead and aparently oztrail has Ozzies in china keeping an eye on quality. Also, thats not to say that all Oz canvas is the goods either. At the camping sale I'm looking forward to comparing different makes side by side.

We'd like the idea of a rather cheap off road camper that we can begin with, and mod it further along the way or after a period of time, work out what we need or dislike.

Similar, but we still want good quality, the trick is to figure out how cheap is too cheap while also taking into account resale value if you decide to upgrade down the track.

The main extra that I'm thinking of at this stage is water tank, stone guard and brakes. I figure as long as it has a basic kitchen box on the tailgate I can fit that out with drawers etc myself.
earle

Postby earle » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Now that I think about it I think drsmurto is out camping now. I think he mentioned something about it last week.
earle

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Mate, I just bought a '98 Parado Grande on LPG. Not much bush work, like myself really. The family wanted to start camping away from the people, so I bought a TD Pajero in May which turned out to be a dud and a money pit. So I took out a loan and got a trade on the Toyota.
Happy to get out some time with you, give us a yell and keep me informed. Two boys here, 11 and 12yo.

That Lindsay Island sounds alright too. Maybe a Xmas holiday homebrewer's campout is on the cards. That's if he tell's us the secret to get there. T'is about 15 hours for me I believe.
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 7:17 pm

The Prado, and the better half
The Trailer, will need to put the springs over soon for 4WD'ing.
and on my way to Mt Hope, NSW for a beer or two. Riding my old girl of the time during a weekend in the winter of '93.
Sonny

Postby SuperBroo » Tuesday Sep 28, 2010 10:10 pm

My BossLady and I are heading to the 'Kulin Bush Races' this weekend in our new caravan.
Only bought it a few months ago, and wanna use it as much as possible - only here once.

I gotta pack enough home brew for 3 nites away with some crazy mates, hope the heavies dont pull us over on the way :)

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby RUM57L » Wednesday Sep 29, 2010 8:13 am

earle wrote:Now that I think about it I think drsmurto is out camping now. I think he mentioned something about it last week.

*Shakes fist* The bastard..
RUM57L

Next

Return to General discussion