The demise of homebrew & beer (well kind of)

Other topics - beer-related or not.

The demise of homebrew & beer (well kind of)

Postby matr » Sunday Oct 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Is it just me or is this site going downhill rapidly?

It seems since certain people (person) have joined this site it has become stagnant. By the tone of somes posts (even mine) It's like the worst is being brought out in people all because of late changes in the forum (you know what I mean).

There were a few new good guys on here lately that don't even post any more and I can only assume it is because of this change. These guys were asking the questions I wanted answers for, but I find myself searching through the archives of AHB (and they have a shite search function) to find the answers because I can't stand the crap that gets posted on here.

This is a very "homely" site with excellent info and a great understanding of new brewers. Please don't let this shit take over and destroy it!!

I'm not normally this passionate.. could be the Hefe talking!!

Cheers, Mat.
matr

Re: The demise of homebrew & beer (well kind of)

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 10, 2010 11:07 pm

I think I'm possibly the most guilty of feeding the troll, something that I decided earlier today to stop doing. Definitely think that using the ignore feature may be just what we all need.
bullfrog

Postby RUM57L » Monday Oct 11, 2010 7:14 am

i'll second the ignore vote
RUM57L

Postby warra48 » Monday Oct 11, 2010 7:40 am

I've decided to stay away from temptation, and not visit this site until next month.
Adios, amigos.
warra48

Postby matr » Monday Oct 11, 2010 10:07 am

warra48 wrote:I've decided to stay away from temptation, and not visit this site until next month.
Adios, amigos.

This is exactly what I am talking about..
matr

Postby bullfrog » Monday Oct 11, 2010 11:33 am

warra48 wrote:I've decided to stay away from temptation, and not visit this site until next month.
Adios, amigos.

That's awful. Warra's heaps helpful and a nice bloke to boot, now he's leaving because of...well...we all know why. That really pisses me off.
bullfrog

Postby RUM57L » Monday Oct 11, 2010 11:38 am

another vote..... for Warra to stay and not be put off
RUM57L

Postby wrighty » Monday Oct 11, 2010 9:46 pm

Warra your help and and knowledge has been a great source of information and inspriration
for me and im sure lots of others :cry:
Tell me your just going on holiday for a few weeks.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby hirns » Monday Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

I hold great admiration for Warra48, he has a certainly has demonsrated how to remain civil (must be all that golf) under pressure(a gentleman of the old school). Like Warra has stated before though he just looks at those that a suffering around him to realise that what is said on this site is in many ways trivial. Though it was pretty obvious from his last two responses to the fast one that he was getting under the skin. Not meaning to sound condescending to anyone, but my better half has had three brain tumors removed to date and consequently has additional health issues. Where I differ in relation to Warra's original philospy is that to me this site is an outlet, something that I enjoy doing (or used to) and engaged in to get away from my "real world".

Does or will putting the ignore button on really remove or solve the problem? I do know that I have now lost a lot of interest in this site and visit far less regular :( ly. Sorry no solutions, just I guest reiterating the general feeling.

Hirns
hirns

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 12, 2010 7:07 am

I may not be the best one to answer this, as I myself have disappeared for extended times partially due to this situation...

But... it always passes eventually. Eventually even the most persistent troll gets bored and moves on to another forum to wreak havok.

For anyone here who remembers chris., that was 900-odd posts of (mostly) abuse towards various forum members, but even he finally left
with some condescending message of how pathetic this forum was, and how AHB forum desperately needed his services. That was one very
persistant troll, and (thankfully) now one very absent one. The forum still went on- unfortunately minus a few people (Dogger for example).
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby rotten » Tuesday Oct 12, 2010 10:29 pm

None of us are perfect, especially me, especially lately. Let's hope this all settles down. Time is sometimes the best remedy, even in our fast moving, quick to react environment. Thinking & not posting is working finally for me. Don't take the bait, or feed the troll anymore.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby speedie » Tuesday Oct 12, 2010 11:54 pm

ill drink to that, prost!
speedie

Postby roboscot » Saturday Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm

banstick.
roboscot

Postby Oliver » Monday Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi all,

As most of you realise, Geoff and I have not been around here much for quite some time, mainly due to this site being a hobby for us and having real jobs that pay the bills.

We're sorry to hear that things have got a little, shall we say, off track in our absence.

That's not to disrespect at all the job that gregb has been doing moderating, but it's a huge job.

From here on in I will be trying to spend time keeping up with goings-on and making sure we're all playing nicely

If anyone has any issues at all please feel free to email or PM me. Any comments, queries or recommendations will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby earle » Monday Nov 15, 2010 4:59 pm

A big thanks to you Oliver and Geoff for having this site. As I've said in a few posts lately, while I do go to other brewing forums I really like this one because in general people get treated with a bit more respect, noobs and others can ask questions without being shot down like on some other sites, trolling is kept to a minimum. Its just a bit unfortunate about what has been happening lately.

Looking forward to Millenium Ale tasting.

Cheers
Earle
earle

Postby warra48 » Monday Nov 15, 2010 5:58 pm

This was the first HB forum I joined, and it's still one of my favourites.

Gregb does a good and unobtrusive job in moderating, but ultimately, most of us take care of it ourselves.

I think even the mentioned newish member who caused a little friction seems to have toned down, so it's all good.

I'm with Earle, I'd also love to read an update on the millenium tasting.
warra48

Postby speedie » Monday Nov 15, 2010 9:57 pm

see ollie there is hope in the end
cheers speedie
speedie

Postby drunkpaul » Saturday Nov 20, 2010 11:29 pm

like warra, this was the first hb forum i joined. i cant thank enough the guys that have given me advice, no matter how big or small.
i've always felt welcome and have and will continue to recomend this site to any like minded people.
keep up the good work people. learners like me need your wisdom.
drunkpaul

Postby Oliver » Sunday Nov 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Speaking of Millennium Ale, we've posted the 2008 and 2009 tasting notes: http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/millenniumale.html

Pictures to come.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to General discussion