HB&B beer lotto

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: HB&B beer lotto

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 2:07 pm

2 x 375ml bottles sent - both porters after your recent comments about JS porter - first one has been in the bottle long enough to mature, second is a vanilla bourbon porter (oaked) which was bottled on Sunday, showed plenty of promise on the hydro sample tasting. Cheers :D
earle

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Bottle in the post now Mick. Enjoy ya lucky bugger. :lol:
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Congrats, Mick! Got two batches on the go at the moment, just put on to cold crash this evening. There's a golden ale that had a very small grist so that I could finally test out this dry enzyme business (actually not tasting entirely awful out of the fermenter and certainly isn't a light beer!) and there's a stout that is tasting wonderfully, if I do say so myself (if Sonny is still around then he has some idea about my stouts, this one is very much the same; quite chocalatey with a coffee twang.)

You can have a stubby of each or a long-neck of one.

Actually, come to think of it, I've also got a sweet ginger beer and a Normandy-style cider on tap at the moment that I'm sure I could whack into a bottle, as well.

If your response is that you'd like me to pick for you then I'll have a tough job on my hands, I think...
bullfrog

Postby gregb » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Slight delay, two different post offices, both sold out of bottle mailers.
gregb

Postby rotten » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 7:18 pm

You prompt people are making me feel bad. Been very busy but will get the TTL in the post tomorrow (hopefully)
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby billybushcook » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 8:04 pm

bullfrog wrote:there's a stout that is tasting wonderfully, if I do say so myself (if Sonny is still around then he has some idea about my stouts, this one is very much the same; quite chocalatey with a coffee twang.)
You can have a stubby of each or a long-neck of one.

Stout sound good.
Nice to try some beers that I wouldn't normally have in stock!

drsmurto wrote:I personally would drink it straight out of the postpak :lol:

You have a problem Doc,
Are you still going to the meetings? :) :) :) :) :)

drsmurto wrote:Dribble method

What a relief, I thought it may have something to do with an STD! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the bottles i had stored away for an occasion like this has been given a new home today.
After speaking to my Father this afternoon I decided to give him some of my top shelf bottles for Christmas, Top of the list was the last bottle of Doc's Golden Ale, done to the letter, all Amarillo additions & US-05 yeast.
This bottle was capped in May, & the last one I drank was a few weeks ago, went down an absolute treat (like the rest of e'm) so I'm sure this one is a winner too. Thx Doc!!
I put aside a few of my own "best bottles" for him as well.

Don't frett though, I have a couple more Top shelf, "last bottle" type beers for you guys too, after all, it has been your influence which has helped me brew the beers I'm brewing now!!

Cheers, mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Ill be sending a stubbie of my chimay trippel attempt and a nice pale brewed earlier this year just as soon as i get a second to scratch, hope you enjoy them mate and well done for winning!!! :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Bum » Tuesday Dec 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Forgot to mention, Mick, the cap on my PET bottle is brand new but the collar thing is old so it looks like it has been opened but I assure you it hasn't. Lids are cheap as chips so I don't bother reusing them.
Bum

Postby Planner » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 7:44 am

gregb wrote:Slight delay, two different post offices, both sold out of bottle mailers.

Had to go to three post offices to find a single pack, everyone had double packs, but it was painfull enough sending of one bottle :wink:

Posted today Mick (BIAB ESB), second bottle this week sent to the hunter region due to lotto losses. :cry:

Bum wrote:Forgot to mention, Mick, the cap on my PET bottle is brand new but the collar thing is old so it looks like it has been opened but I assure you it hasn't. Lids are cheap as chips so I don't bother reusing them.

When I use new lids I normally knock the collar off before capping and I've removed all the original collars from the bottles, so when the terrorists sneak into the garage and tamper with my beer I won't know will I :?
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby billybushcook » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 8:06 am

Planner wrote:Had to go to three post offices to find a single pack, everyone had double packs,I :?

You could have sent two.
Just think of the running around you would have saved :D :D :D :D

Mick.
billybushcook

Postby warra48 » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 11:00 am

Mine won't be mailed until next week or the week after, but it will be mailed.
Too busy at present to attend to it, getting ready to go away for Chirstmas (that's in between my golf days; must prioritise properly, after all).
In any event, my contribution has only been bottled just over a week, so it's not ready at this stage yet.
warra48

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 11:17 am

Filtered and kegged up a my first TTL and my first Nut Brown Ale on Monday night.

Will post whichever one I think is nicest, around mid January,
if they are both nice, will post 2 stubbies.

cheers and happy xmas / new year to all...

Grog
SuperBroo

Postby billybushcook » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 4:21 pm

1st bottle turned up today...Thx Bum. :D

Mick.
billybushcook

Postby Bum » Wednesday Dec 22, 2010 7:50 pm

I hope it found its way there in good nick. I hope you enjoy it - I haven't even had one myself yet, getting nervous.
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 23, 2010 5:33 pm

My two batches will be being kegged at some point over the long weekend so a longneck will get filled and it will be on its way to you, Mick, at some point next week.
bullfrog

Postby Bum » Saturday Dec 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Cracked the first bottle of my contribution just now. I get quite nervous any time another brewer tastes my beers (and the way it has worked out almost every time I've had to hand over an un-tested brew making it worse). So with another drinker in mind, I smelled it and breathed a sigh of relief, more than acceptable. Tasted it and breathed a mouthful of vomit. Pretty ghastly at this early stage. Grassy, minty and the intentionally high bitterness gels really badly with these two qualities. Make sure mine is at the end of the to drink list - might fade to something a bit more pleasant.

Shame, the burps I've been doing while writing this actually taste quite nice.

It is ugly as, too. I was pretty much expecting that and hope that doesn't bother you too much.
Bum

Postby billybushcook » Monday Dec 27, 2010 6:49 am

Awoke on Chrissy morning to a suprise,
my missus had been stashing a few more deliveries & put them under the tree.
Great Chrissy present.....or was it B'day present?....either way.

Thx Tipsy, doc & Earle.

Earle, that Choc porter went down a treat, have you posted that recipe on here somewhere? I will be looking!
I hope mine comes out something similar, would like mine to have a hint of honey as well.

Docs Rye golden Ale met it's end too, nice beer, just a little bitter for my taste but would have probably settled down nicely with a bit of age.
Would it fit in the catagory of English bitter, Doc??

Well I'm off to the shed now, to fire up the kettle & mash my house staple, pale Ale, keen to put my new Refractometer to use too!!

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Postby Bum » Monday Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Hope you had a good birthday, Mick.
Bum

Postby Bum » Tuesday Dec 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Same to Oliver for today.
Bum

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 30, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks Bum. Had a great day. The missus took me to the Royal Mail at Dunkeld (Vic) on the way back to Melbourne from Port Elliot in SA.

We had a very nice meal and some great beers: Emerson's Bookbinder Bitter (a real winner of a beer, a bit like LC Roger's but with a lot more aroma and a bit more body, but about the same alcohol); a Roger's for comparison with the Emerson's; and a Bridge Road Pale Ale (which was an excellent beer, it's just a shame about the spelling errors and incomprehensibility of the blurb on label, which I'm inclined to write to the brewery about :) ).

More on the visit at a later stage, because there was another very interesting aspect to their Beer List. Time's a bit short now.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion