Have a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Have a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Postby BribieG » Saturday Dec 25, 2010 6:20 am

Merry Christmas all forumites and don't drink too little today - got my prezzie today and I can't wait to try it out, been after one of these for ages :twisted: :twisted:

All the best for the new year :D
BribieG

Re: Have a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Postby elec » Saturday Dec 25, 2010 10:56 am

Would like to buy a bridge, Bribie? I can arrange one at the right price. You seem the likely type of purchaser......

Merry Christmas , bud. Have a great day.
I'm not young enough to know everything..........
elec

Postby Bum » Saturday Dec 25, 2010 4:10 pm

There's a party trick type thing you do with these that "prove" they work and it is pretty mind blowing. Mate of mine was wearing one for months and I finally snapped and asked what this bullshit was about so he told me - then I said 'bullshit' again and he showed me this thing with them where it improves your balance (Bribie might be best suited to explaining it as it was a while back for me now). Now, I'm not saying I back up the claims made by the manufacturer but they do have some influence on even the skeptical.

Merry Christmas, Michael. Hope you're having a good one.
Bum

Postby Burt » Sunday Dec 26, 2010 8:47 am

Bum, is the party trick the one where a person pushes their arm up from their side under resistance from another person's hand? If it is then it is most certainly a trick of bio-mechanics. When it's done well, take note of the person's (the one providing the resistance) spare hand. Without the bracelet, the hand will do nothing. Once the bracelet is on, the procedure is repeated but the spare hand will now be placed on the bracelet wearer's other shoulder. This provides a point of stability that allows improved lifting capacity against the hand providing the resistance. It is a good trick though.

Nice joke Bribie. I'll get one for my fermenter as well. I need all the help I can get.
Burt

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Dec 26, 2010 9:20 am

#129 - Power Balance Bands

I have a similar band on order from skepticbros.com called The Placebo Band. $2 and it does exactly the same as the power balance band - feck all.

Given Bribie's sense of humour i think a few of you have been conned!

Merry festivus to you all, i am up and moving and seem to have no consequences for my overindulging yesterday.... several pints of pilsner and rye golden ale later.

Now for the 3.5 hour drive down over to Pt Turton for 5 days of fishing/drinking/watching cricket....... tough life i lead! :lol:
Last edited by drsmurto on Friday Dec 31, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drsmurto

Postby Bum » Sunday Dec 26, 2010 9:40 am

Burt wrote:Bum, is the party trick the one where a person pushes their arm up from their side under resistance from another person's hand? If it is then it is most certainly a trick of bio-mechanics. When it's done well, take note of the person's (the one providing the resistance) spare hand. Without the bracelet, the hand will do nothing. Once the bracelet is on, the procedure is repeated but the spare hand will now be placed on the bracelet wearer's other shoulder. This provides a point of stability that allows improved lifting capacity against the hand providing the resistance. It is a good trick though.

[EDIT: I mis-read your post earlier and now see you're probably talking about the same thing but I'll leave my post as-is regardless.]

Nah, Burt, this trick was pretty much the reverse of that - but probably basically the same thing as well. Don't remember the exact details but my arm was straight out to my side and he pushed downwards on it at the wrist with both hands while I resisted - without the band on I tipped at the waist, with it on not so much. Thinking about your explanation he might have had his foot against mine for leverage on the one without the band? Can't say I recall but I'm not sure why he would - he's not trying to sell them or anything and he does wear it constantly for his cycling as he believes it does *something* for his balance. It did *something* to me - or more correctly tricked me into doing *something* for myself. Either way it was a pretty cool trick.
Last edited by Bum on Sunday Dec 26, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bum

Postby Bum » Sunday Dec 26, 2010 9:45 am

drsmurto wrote:#129 - Power Balance Bands

I have a similar band on order from skepticbros.com called The Placebo Band. $2 and it does exactly the same as the power balance band - feck all.

Ah, but it won't have the appropriately mystical and high-tech stickers on it. How could it possibly work?! Your experiment is flawed from the outset.

Last line of that TBL article is gold.
Bum

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Bum wrote:
drsmurto wrote:#129 - Power Balance Bands

Ah, but it won't have the appropriately mystical and high-tech stickers on it. How could it possibly work?! Your experiment is flawed from the outset.

Last line of that TBL article is gold.

Surely the placebo band would have to cost more than $2 for it to work effectively. :wink:
Tipsy

Postby Pyssedas Heavy Industrial » Friday Dec 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Pyssedas heavy industrial produces bands with holograms that cause you to lose balance and fumble balls of all sizes! They are very effective if placed on the limbs of opponents - this however can be difficult to achieve due to the aforementioned fumbling.

Merry 2011 everyone
For smaller, more nimble home-brewing advice visit us at: http://www.pyssedas.com/forum - huzzah!
Pyssedas Heavy Industrial

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Jan 01, 2011 12:31 am

I think I'm wearing one of yours right now.

Happy New Year
Tipsy

Postby rotten » Saturday Jan 01, 2011 11:08 pm

For the record, none of these bands work after several pints of the wonderful elixir, commonly known as home brew. :)~ I have tried them all, to no avail.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jan 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Oliver
Administrator

Postby Bum » Tuesday Feb 08, 2011 3:03 pm

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=kweltc ... he+news%29

That link looks pretty ugly - in the event of it being broken it relates the story of the first study on these things being published in a peer-reviewed journal. Funnily enough, it turns out that they don't do anything that they claim. I'm pretty shocked!

No real reason to post it here, of course, but the article reminded me of this thread.
Bum

Return to General discussion