Crazy Idea?

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Crazy Idea?

Postby lob » Thursday Jan 06, 2011 5:29 pm

1. Someone (trusted) based in USA (perhaps a relative of someone on these forums) goes out and buys shit-loads of beer based on orders submitted by members and places them on a pallet in their garage. Person in US charges 10% for their troubles. Money is sent by direct deposit.

2. When the beer is ready to go, money is paid to shipping company via direct deposit. The cost is divided by the number of people ordering beer. (Minimum purchase, say, 5 slabs of beer.) For example, $1000.00 to ship a pallet of beer, 20 people ordering, $50 each.

3. Pallet is shipped to address in Sydney. People who placed order from Sydney and Canberra travel to the address to pick up their beer supplies for next 6 months. Likewise a pallet delivery could be arranged for Melbourne and one for Brisbane.

4. Do these overseas orders every six months.

5. 1st Choice and Dan Murphys can go f--- themselves.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Re: Crazy Idea?

Postby gregb » Thursday Jan 06, 2011 8:15 pm

The devil in the detail would licencing thresholds.
gregb

Postby billybushcook » Friday Jan 07, 2011 1:31 am

Why buy beer when you can make the stuff for a 1/4 of the cost & make what you want???????

Mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Postby matr » Friday Jan 07, 2011 1:46 am

Ice to the Eskimos / sand to the Arabs etc etc etc
matr

Postby Bum » Friday Jan 07, 2011 10:16 am

billybushcook wrote:Why buy beer when you can make the stuff for a 1/4 of the cost & make what you want???????

Try and try as I might I'm coming to the conclusion that I cannot yet nail a great many US styles.

Try and try as I might I can't find an Australian commercial brewery that can nail them either.

I'm gagging to get back and hook into all those awesome beers but there's no way I'd get involved in a logistical nightmare like the proposition above.
Bum

Postby warra48 » Friday Jan 07, 2011 11:00 am

Not a bad idea in concept. However, I tend to think along the same lines as gregb, and would like to know more about the legality of it.

Having said that, I can quite easily keep my brewing schedule up with my consumption. Consequently, I buy very little commercial beer, so the idea has little application to me personally.
warra48

Postby rotten » Friday Jan 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Bum wrote:Try and try as I might I'm coming to the conclusion that I cannot yet nail a great many US styles.

Try and try as I might I can't find an Australian commercial brewery that can nail them either.

You just need more practise Bum. Brew once a week sober (if you don't already) and you might getr a bit closer.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Bum » Friday Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm

I don't see how my level of experience stops commercial brewers from brewing beers that are actually to style.

[EDIT - double negative]
Bum

Postby lob » Friday Jan 07, 2011 7:40 pm

let's just be clear about what the idea is. It's basically a "beer importers club". Non profit. The only one who makes a tiny profit is the bloke based in the US who makes some trips to various stores and (perhaps) micro-breweries to pic up merchandise. It could probably be associated with a brewers club (such as the Canberra one.) I'm not sure about the legality, but obviously beer is imported by retailers (or they purchase from importers.)

Hypothetically, if I was based in the US, say LA, with a house & a garage. It would be no problem for me to organize a pallet, even once every 3 months. All I have to do is buy slabs of beer over a three month period, and put them on the pallet in my garage. The shipping company (fully insured) will turn up, shrink wrap it, and load it on a truck. Then leave me another pallet to fill up over the next 3 months for the next order. And I collect a 10% fee for my troubles. It would be a good little side-earner.

This concept already operates for general goods. Most things you find online in the US (clothing, cameras, home theater projectors, laptops), but they won't ship to Australia, you can organize for Price USA (www.priceusa.com.au) to buy it for you in the US, have it sent to their US address, and they forwarded it onto Australia for a commission/fee.

I was in 1st Choice the other day thinking to myself 'there is nothing here'. Gas Stations in the USA (I was there about 6 months ago on hols) have better variety in beer at non rip-off-prices than these Coles-owned assholes who only care about their shareholders and the wankers in middle and upper "management" who need their bonuses to pay for, er, all the BS associated with their wanky lifestyle (large house, shopaholic materialistic wife, kids in private schools, SUVs, etc etc, etc). f--- them, f--- them all I say. Lets start non-profit beer importer clubs...and tell the Australian Retailers where they can go stick their BS fake European beers and their inflated prices. $20? for a 6-pack? Go get f---ed.
lob

Postby drsmurto » Saturday Jan 08, 2011 6:06 pm

The alcohol tax needs to be paid before you get your hands on it.

I would only be guessing but a pallet of beer sounds way beyond the level an individual is allowed to bring in to the country.

But, if you can do it legitmately and I pay no more than i would if i was to order via the International Beer Shop then put me down as a regular buyer.

@ Mick - how can you brew a Kolsch (as an example, insert one here that you have never tried) if you have never tasted a true example of the style? I buy beer regularly, often single bottles at up to $30 a pop to try new styles, new beer concept. Can i brew beer for less, probably. Do i want an entire keg of certain styles, no. This way i get to expand my beer palate without having to brew a whole batch.
drsmurto

Postby lob » Saturday Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm

If an individual can get a license and open a store selling overseas product at a profit, why can't a brewers club get a license and "sell" to their members (including "online forum members") at cost?
lob

Postby roboscot » Saturday Jan 08, 2011 11:53 pm

I'd rather see a healthy, exciting, vibrant micro-brewing industry here than import from the US.

Remember, we're just catching the wave here. Time, innovation and commitment from brewers who really want to change the beerscape (new word?) in Australia is what will fulfill the desires of unsatisfied beer drinkers like yourself, lob.

And a healthy dose of common sense rammed down the throats of whatever suit-full-of-bugger-all happens to be in charge of duty/regulation of the industry in Canberra.
roboscot

Postby Bum » Sunday Jan 09, 2011 12:06 am

roboscot wrote:I'd rather see a healthy, exciting, vibrant micro-brewing industry here than import from the US.

I don't see why we can't have both. Our progressive beers should be different from theirs but there's no reason both shouldn't be experienced.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jan 12, 2011 8:28 pm

lob wrote:If an individual can get a license and open a store selling overseas product at a profit, why can't a brewers club get a license and "sell" to their members (including "online forum members") at cost?

Alcoholic beverages aren't just any overseas product. They are a restricted item. You need a special license to do so and an extra tax needs to be paid.

It's no different to you trying to sell your home-brewed beer to the public.
drsmurto

Return to General discussion