2011 Xmas in July Lotto Draw

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: 2011 Xmas in July Lotto Draw

Postby Tipsy » Friday Aug 26, 2011 11:21 am

barrelboy wrote:Well done Sonny on an excellent write up on submitted brews.

+1

Glad you liked it.
Tipsy

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Aug 30, 2011 10:39 am

Hey Sonny,

Apologies on the non carbonated Blue Mountain lager, sure it was ready as i've been drinking them. The young taste may be relfection from the nelson sauvin?
RUM57L

Postby SimonG » Wednesday Aug 31, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey Sonny,

I posted a bottle of Little Fella's Pale Ale to you last friday, so you should get it any day now. I'm sorry it took a while to send it to you, I've been ridiculously busy lately.

It's ready to drink now, but maybe give it a few days for the yeast to settle, because it has been bottle conditioned.

I hope that you enjoy it.

Cheers
Simon
SimonG

Postby Sonny » Wednesday Aug 31, 2011 4:23 pm

RUM57L wrote:Hey Sonny,

Apologies on the non carbonated Blue Mountain lager, sure it was ready as i've been drinking them. The young taste may be relfection from the nelson sauvin?

Rum, she cool mate. I still drank it.

SimonG wrote:Hey Sonny,

I posted a bottle of Little Fella's Pale Ale to you last friday, so you should get it any day now. I'm sorry it took a while to send it to you, I've been ridiculously busy lately.

It's ready to drink now, but maybe give it a few days for the yeast to settle, because it has been bottle conditioned.

I hope that you enjoy it.

Cheers
Simon

Hey Simon, she currently settling from the trip. Thanks.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby rotten » Wednesday Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Bottled a Irish Red Ale for ya Sonny, snuck a sip from the keg while it's carbing before, very smooth. Don't think it will last long :)~
gotta love that drool icon don't ya.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Sonny » Thursday Sep 01, 2011 4:59 pm

rotten wrote:Bottled a Irish Red Ale for ya Sonny, snuck a sip from the keg while it's carbing before, very smooth. Don't think it will last long :)~
gotta love that drool icon don't ya.
Cheers

I'll be looking forward to that Rotten.
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Thursday Sep 01, 2011 5:58 pm

SimonG wrote:I posted a bottle of Little Fella's Pale Ale ........................It's ready to drink now......

Mate, I'm drinking this now. It's better than a Little Creatures I reckon, got a lot more body. It has poured almost clear, just a nice light cloud with a beaut white head and lacing in my glass. I love it, top job.

I'd pay for this stuff that has been sent to me from the lotto win. It's just awesome!

I really need to go AG sometime.
Sonny

Postby SimonG » Friday Sep 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Hey Sonny,

I'm glad you liked it, its one of my favourites too.

Give AG a try, you'll never go back, and it's not as hard as you think, just takes a bit more time.
I did my 1st AG just over a year ago using the method I learnt from Aussie Home Brewer in the "All Grain for under $30" thread. Do a search of AHB and have a read of it (be careful this thread contains some advice using a few dodgy brewing techniques but the overall the method works well) and you'll see the method is quite simple to do BIAB using a stove top boil using a 19L stainless steel pot from from Big W for around $20 and using a piece of Swiss Voile from Spot Light for around $2 or $3 (and you don't even need to stich it).

I made this brew using this technique but did an overstrength batch using a full grain bill, then sparged in a bucket 3 times to improve my efficiency and then diluted it when I poured it into the fermenter to get a full volume batch. I can usually get 18-22L of beer using a 19L pot utilising this method. I'm pretty happy with the beers I've made using this process but I'll probably get a 50L keggle soon so I don't have to watch a very full pot so closely to prevent boil overs.

Cheers
Simon
SimonG

Postby Sonny » Friday Sep 02, 2011 4:31 pm

My god Simon, that sounds like really hard bloody work!

I've done BIAB with Bullfrog. The man is pushing me to start up a 400L brewery in his garage with him and then begin to make spelling mistakes in my future posts.

Realistically I hope to get my own urn or similar, much like yourself.
But that's a damn remarkable beer for the way in which you made it. Bravo mate.
Sonny

Postby bullfrog » Friday Sep 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Sonny wrote:I've done BIAB with Bullfrog. The man is pushing me to start up a 400L brewery in his garage with him and then begin to make spelling mistakes in my future posts.

Hey! You're divulging my supa sekrit plan!

:P
bullfrog

Postby Tourist » Saturday Sep 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Been dragging my heels on this one - very sorry. Hopefully will have a bottle on the way in a couple of weeks - I want to do a QA first. Belgian Golden Strong 8%+. Backup will be a more modest English Brown Ale.

Apologies. but I haven't forgotten.
Back off man, I'm a tourist.
Tourist

Postby Sonny » Saturday Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Tourist wrote:Been dragging my heels on this one - very sorry. Hopefully will have a bottle on the way in a couple of weeks - I want to do a QA first. Belgian Golden Strong 8%+. Backup will be a more modest English Brown Ale.

Apologies. but I haven't forgotten.

Tourist, you're dragging in late is appreciated.

I am soon to be running out of these fine samples, it's so good to know there's more to come.

As you are ..................
Sonny

Postby SimonG » Monday Sep 05, 2011 8:36 am

Sonny wrote:My god Simon, that sounds like really hard bloody work!

I've done BIAB with Bullfrog. The man is pushing me to start up a 400L brewery in his garage with him and then begin to make spelling mistakes in my future posts.

Realistically I hope to get my own urn or similar, much like yourself.
But that's a damn remarkable beer for the way in which you made it. Bravo mate.

Hey Sonny,

Yeh it is a bit of extra mucking around but even with a 50L keggle or pot most brewers would still do at least 1 or 2 sparges when they BIAB or use a 3V system. If you have a look at BIABrewer.info you will see that quite a few brewers are using the method I use, they call it maxi-BIAB. I think I will have to get a keggle set up soon though, to simplify things a bit.

400L brewery in Bullfrog's garage and spelling mistakes??? Sounds like a couple of Speedie fans wanting to take over his role on the forum :lol: :lol: :lol:
SimonG

Postby rotten » Wednesday Sep 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Beleive it or not Sonny my contribution is on it's way :D
Thanks for being so patient. I included the recipe for you as well to peruse while you sip away.
The P/O ladies always look at me strange when I walk in with a bottle of beer :lol:
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby squirt in the turns » Tuesday Sep 13, 2011 11:37 am

Sonny, as per my post in the Southern Spring thread, you shall soon be receiving a bottle of robust porter. It was only bottled on Saturday, and was filtered, so will need a little while to carb up. Apologies that you've had to wait so long (and that you'll have to wait even after you receive it). I think I may be the last to post my prize :oops:

That English IPA I originally intended to send just didn't come up to standard in the end. :evil:
squirt in the turns

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Sep 13, 2011 8:31 pm

squirt in the turns wrote:Sonny, as per my post in the Southern Spring thread, you shall soon be receiving a bottle of robust porter. It was only bottled on Saturday, and was filtered, so will need a little while to carb up. Apologies that you've had to wait so long (and that you'll have to wait even after you receive it). I think I may be the last to post my prize :oops:

That English IPA I originally intended to send just didn't come up to standard in the end. :evil:

Don't go apologising Squirt. I'll be wrecked once I realise I've received them all.
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Sep 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Squirt, I accidently opened your bottle in my huff for a beer just now. Only 10 days after bottling and I am thinking ‘no no no’. But I then decided too late now, it's open and I have to drink it.

Matt, it is lovely! It’s bloody beautiful. I cannot even begin to describe the flavor. It smells awesome and tastes well, sweet and balanced perfectly. What are those flavors?

It is just really yummy, what more can I say?

What’s the recipe on that? You have to share.

If it actually gets better than this, then you better send me another one! :D
Sonny

Postby squirt in the turns » Wednesday Sep 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Sonny, you crazy dog! Was it carbonated at all?

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. Personally, I get a lot of malt sweetness in the aroma, then in descending order of prominence: vanilla, chocolate, coffee, something marmalady (from late Challenger hops I would think), and a barely-there background of something spicy (probably just alcohol). Taste-wise, I find the coffee and dark chocolate flavours dominate, with a bit of that Challenger hop character too, with a bitter aftertaste. I'm pretty pleased with the balance and don't really find it sweet. If it was indeed lacking carbonation, maybe you were detecting a bit of unfermented priming dextrose :lol:.

I only bottled 4 tallies, one each for you and Jello, and 2 for ageing purposes. I'm thinking about entering it in a comp - would be my first shot, so your comments have given me a bit of confidence. Guess I'll have to make another batch :)

I'll throw the recipe up in the recipe section. Cheers!
squirt in the turns

Postby Sonny » Wednesday Sep 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Vanilla, that was one of the flavours that I couldn't name.
Sonny

Postby jello » Wednesday Sep 21, 2011 6:27 pm

I'm being patient as possible before drinking.

Thanks for the recipe!
Jeff.
jello

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion