2011 Xmas in July Lotto Draw

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: 2011 Xmas in July Lotto Draw

Postby RUM57L » Wednesday Jul 20, 2011 9:24 pm

no chance of any sun around most of eastern nsw for a while yet, making me angry!
RUM57L

Postby barrelboy » Thursday Jul 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi all, Sonny have just posted your special drop with details on the bottle. As suggest leave for 4 weeks or so. I think you'll enjoy this one.
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby Sonny » Thursday Jul 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm in Brew Heaven.

1. Barls supplied a Smokey Scwartz was yum, he also supplied me with a Trois Pistole which is currently conditioning.
2. RUM57L sent a Blue Mountain Lager which I'll drink on a warmer day.
3. Tipsy, an Irish Red Ale. Lookin' forward to that one.
4. Earle's Black Sheep clone is also now here. I'll give it a week at least after the trip down.

Two bottles arrived today;
5. Big Dave sent me a BIAB APA, should be nice.
6. DrSmurto's Imperial Stout is here, it is talking to me.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Jul 26, 2011 5:13 pm

1. Barls supplied a Smokey Scwartz and a Trois Pistole which is currently conditioning.
2. RUM57L sent a Blue Mountain Lager.
3. Tipsy, an Irish Red Ale.
4. Earle a Black Sheep clone
5. Big Dave BIAB APA
6. DrSmurto an Imperial Stout.
7. BarrelBoy has provided the Bush Mallee Bitter, bravo. Be great to sample your English Bitter mate.
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Jul 27, 2011 6:55 pm

will get it away in about 2 weeks Sonny.
SuperBroo

Postby timmy » Wednesday Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Posted mine off today Sonny (sorry for the delay...).

It's my 15 minute Nelson Sauvin Lager. Hope you enjoy it...

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Sonny » Wednesday Jul 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks Guys! No dramas, this entire experience rocks.
Looking forward to them so very much.
Sonny

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jul 27, 2011 8:22 pm

And as advised by PM earlier today, my A/APA (American/Australian PA, due to its loads of Galaxy and Citra hops) is on the way, too. Don't let the XXXX bottle put you off ;-)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Jul 28, 2011 12:15 pm

I'll bring my entry with me when I pop around your place next week, Sonny. I've had your temp controller for like two months now so I'll bring that too.
bullfrog

Postby Sonny » Thursday Jul 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Paul's Jackie Brown Northern Brown Ale has arrived.

1. Barls supplied a Smokey Scwartz and a Trois Pistole which is currently conditioning.
5. Big Dave BIAB APA
7. BarrelBoy has provided the Bush Mallee Bitter, bravo. Be great to sample your English Bitter mate.
8. emnpaul sent me his a 'Jackie Brown Ale'
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Friday Jul 29, 2011 5:42 pm

5. Big Dave BIAB APA
8. emnpaul sent me his a 'Jackie Brown Ale'

9. Oliver, I have your Pale Ale.
10. Timmy I have your 15 minute Nelson Sauvin Lager. (that's a strange name and a special bottle :lol: )

Thanks guys, I'm really cleaning up here. I will be digging in soon enough I reckon. :)~
Sonny

Postby bullfrog » Friday Jul 29, 2011 6:55 pm

The name doesn't (I don't think) relate to the recommended consumption time, Sonny. It should mean that all hop additions were thrown in from 15 minutes down.

That being said, I'm sure there's nothing stopping you throwing it down in 15 minutes :P
bullfrog

Postby Sonny » Wednesday Aug 24, 2011 10:01 pm

How good was this? :lol:

Here's a Round Up!

1. Barls / Smokey Schwartz – Yum! Smokey, dark malt taste all over. A bugger about the ride home stirring things up, and a Trois Pistole is currently conditioning.
2. RUM57L your Blue Mountain Lager was so young I could’ve gone straight to jail. She had the potential but not many bubbles yet.
3. Tipsy, your Irish Red Ale was so smooth! Very nice with so much flavour. It was just a really nice beer. Well balance with good mouth feel and taste.
4. Earle a Black Sheep clone: I cannot comment about it being a Black Sheep clone as I’ve never had one. This beer poured with a beautiful, delicate and creamy head and had excellent carbonation. It also produced sensational lacing. Not as exciting a beer as the more hoppy beers received, but it was an enjoyable and tasty beer. Was this a partial, Earle?
5. Big Dave’s BIAB Lean & Hungry APA. The passionfruit tones were bloody glorious. We loved this beer, yes I shared this bottle with Bullfrog and it was bloody marvelous. We were beside ourselves and it reminded me of a Whale ale, only better! I would love to have this stuff on tap at my place. BZ on this drop Big Dave!
6. DrSmurto sent me an Imperial Stout. Unbloodybelievable! It opened with a small, ho hum release of gas, then the escaping aroma is thick. It hinted of something very strong and possibly special. I then poured it, and it was dark, very dark and thick, much like engine oil. The taste was so smooth, the aroma very strong. A small amount of bitterness is tasted as it enters the mouth, a taste similar to Promite that stuff that is very good for you and contains so much Vitamin B. Then just before it slides off the back of the palate, you experience this amazingly unsweetened, dark chocolate flavour. This beer was just amazing! It really was dark chocolate and sticky sweet on the lips. It is a desert beer. I really enjoyed this. I am also certain that this just cannot be bought in a shop! Thank you Doctor. I feel so much better now. BZ for this little beauty.
7. BarrelBoy and his Bush Mallee Bitter. It poured a great head with excellent carbonation producing some lacing with a good mouth feel. A nice bronze colour too. It’s definitely a nice bitter, there’s no doubt about that, and it would be a great session beer. The better half said it was exactly what she likes.
8. emnpaul sent me his a 'Jackie Brown Ale' which had the best mouth feel I’ve probably ever had. Velvet and creamy, quite enjoyable. Paul, I’d like a tad more maltiness & Nelson Sauvin. I reckon this one deserves it and could be a winner. But I am a sucker for anything that’s got munich grain in it.
9. Oliver, once again I am getting those lovely passionfruit tones. It must be the Galaxy Hops being used? A lovely beer and it even had the wife’s approval. A nice beer, which poured a fine and fluffy head and was as clear as a crispy morn. Nice.
10. Timmy I don’t think that was your Nelson Sauvin Lager. I don’t know? It had no signs of Nelson Sauvin and the entire flavor of a Hoegarden. It poured with an excellent, clean white foamy head, great carbonation and a clean golden color. Yet it also had the citrus, lime style flavor with the spices of coriander. ……..and then I had a coriander seed in my mouth. You sent me your lime/coriander brew dude. It was ‘almost’ as good as mine. Nice! ……and it gave me the wobbly boot.
11. BULLFROG’S ‘Battle OF Britain’ went down really well with our Sushi for dinner and even Melissa enjoyed it. Mate, I know that’s one of your favorites, but I still prefer that last one I was drinking at your place. There were similarities but. I think the BoB contained Munich and Nelson Sauvin? There really is something special about AG beer, isn’t there.

This entire experience has been just awesome, and I thank everyone involved for both the opportunity to try your fantastic beers and for the extra beer bottles that have arrived with them.
It really is a very educational and fun prize. Yes, I know there’s more to come.
The only bad thing about winning is, that I have a wife who likes to try the special beers as well.
Fingers crossed for the next beer lotto! 8)
Sonny

Postby rotten » Wednesday Aug 24, 2011 10:24 pm

G'day Sonny. I haven't brewed that robust porter yet, however, last sunday I brewed an Irish Red Ale and a Brown Ale. I will bottle one of each when I keg and see what tastes better fresh before I send one. The OG sample tasted great for both and the smells from the ferment fridge are pretty tasty too :)~

Cheers, I'm glad you enjoyed your winnings. My turn next :wink:
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Aug 25, 2011 6:06 am

Sonny wrote:11. BULLFROG’S ‘Battle OF Britain’ went down really well with our Sushi for dinner and even Melissa enjoyed it. Mate, I know that’s one of your favorites, but I still prefer that last one I was drinking at your place. There were similarities but. I think the BoB contained Munich and Nelson Sauvin?

No NS in my ESB, mate. It was either Northern Brewer, Fuggles and EKG or just Fuggles and EKG. Can't remember the grain bill off the top of my head but the base was definitely Marris Otter. Could've been some Munich in there but I'll have to double-check the recipe.

I've just written a recipe just for your tastes, Sonny. It's a huge malt bill with all American hops. I'll knock it together when I get my urn back and you'll have to come round and give me your opinion.
bullfrog

Postby earle » Thursday Aug 25, 2011 8:40 am

Sonny wrote:4. Earle a Black Sheep clone: I cannot comment about it being a Black Sheep clone as I’ve never had one. This beer poured with a beautiful, delicate and creamy head and had excellent carbonation. It also produced sensational lacing. Not as exciting a beer as the more hoppy beers received, but it was an enjoyable and tasty beer. Was this a partial, Earle?

That was a great post to read Sonny with all the feedback on the beers received so far. Balck Sheep is a great example of an english ale, if you get the chance to try the real deal you should give it a go. They used to have it a Dan's but they don't seem to any more.

Not a partial, hopped extract (kit) + extract + pile of spec malts + goldings hops + craftbrewer dry english ale yeast (which is a mix of windsor and US05)
earle

Postby big dave » Thursday Aug 25, 2011 10:32 am

Glad you liked it mate! Thanks a heap for the feedback. Must be nearly my turn to win one of these....
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby SuperBroo » Thursday Aug 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Havent forgotten Sonny,
will have a nice bottle of Rogue Shakespeare Stout in the post by end of next week.
SuperBroo

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Aug 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Sonny wrote:
Paul, I’d like a tad more maltiness & Nelson Sauvin. I reckon this one deserves it and could be a winner. But I am a sucker for anything that’s got munich grain in it.

Ha ha ha. Ha. Was that meant to be a joke? :lol: My feelings towards NS are well known to you grasshopper.

Thanks for the feed back. I just finished one of these myself. I have a few tweaks in mind for this recipe when I re-make it as AG, which will include replacing the extract with a touch more Munich II and the balance in Golden Promise, which I think had the larger flovour contribution but could be wrong. Time will tell. And less Sauvin, not more!

Shame it wasn't Christmas in September lotto draw. I tasted a gravity sample of the Munich Helles I have in primary yesterday. I was tempted to rip off the glad wrap and reach for the silly straw :)~ If you're ever up this way...

Cheers
Paul
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby barrelboy » Friday Aug 26, 2011 7:14 am

Well done Sonny on an excellent write up on submitted brews. Your right about my brew being a good session beer, that style and similar variations are what I drink "as the norm". You had better brew some for your better half. I've been busy brewing 210 famous " Pick Axe " long necks over winter for summer, yum.
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion