tv beer show

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: tv beer show

Postby barrelboy » Thursday May 19, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm watching it on Fox, Tuesdays at 7pm, should be 7.30 in your state.
Cheers Bb
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby RUM57L » Thursday May 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Oliver wrote:
RUM57L v2 wrote:Hey I stumbled across this program and series linked to record the rest of the season

What channel is it on and when?

Cheers,

Oliver

Hey Oliver,

I have mine recording the replays at 0130am Wednesday mornings on Discovery (Austar ch 608)
RUM57L

Postby RUM57L » Wednesday May 25, 2011 7:19 pm

So i just watched the Egypt episode that i recorded earlier this morning.
I guess i felt i was watching more of a travel show than a beer show... It would be good to see more focus on their marketing.. brewing and how they got started.
RUM57L

Postby Oliver » Thursday May 26, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm just not warming to Sam, the host.

Speaking of beer, there's an upcoming episode of How Stuff Works on Ch 638 Discovery Science called "Beer". Apparently "Brew masters and beer connoisseurs discuss innovating new ways to make beer."

Alas, no sign of Michael Jackon Beer Hunter on Foxtel.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby RUM57L » Thursday May 26, 2011 5:25 pm

He's too "Keanu Reeves" for my liking.. maybe a bit conceited ..although he is american.

Any date / time on the How Stuff Works ep Oliver?
RUM57L

Postby speedie » Thursday May 26, 2011 10:19 pm

guys i feel that this show has a lot to offer
the main dude is out there a real beer geek and if he has built his brewery from nothing to the 24th largest in the states well it says something of his substance
i am sure there are similar personalalities out in this web site that have a similar passion for brewing
so dont knock the dude just because he doesnt fit into your party
seems like luke and him got on well
speedie

Postby Oliver » Friday May 27, 2011 10:44 am

RUM57L wrote:Any date / time on the How Stuff Works ep Oliver?

I just found it by searching for the word beer on the Search on the Foxtel website. (When I was trying to find Beer Hunter.)

How Stuff Works. Beer: Brew masters and beer connoisseurs discuss innovating new ways to make beer.

Wed 01.06.11 - 08:30PM
Thu 02.06.11 - 02:30AM
Thu 02.06.11 - 08:30AM

speedie wrote:guys i feel that this show has a lot to offer

I agree, speedie, and I don't doubt his credentials as a brewer. When I'm watching I find myself thinking about things that I could do to my brews. For instance, when watching the one from last week about the collaboration with Epic in NZ on the Tamarillo & Pohutakawa Smoked Porter, I started wondering about Australian native ingredients and what quandongs would be like in beer. Anyone tried it? (Or perhaps I should get hold of the guys at Pyssedas Heavy Industrial and see if they'd be interested in brewing an Emu and Kangaroo Ale (it couldn't be worse than their egg and gravy beer, surely!).)

Having said that, I agree with the Keanu Reeves comment and don't really like Sam's high-fives and hugs all round. Although I need to remember that it is a TV show, and an American one at that. I think we'll agree to disagree about the dynamic between him and Luke from Epic :)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby RUM57L » Friday May 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks Oliver,
I'll have to check out the electronic guide.

Hey Speedie,
I dont doubt his passion and he's got talent.. but i've only seen two episodes and i'm already being put off by him, i wont stop watching though because the parts that include process / beer stuff interests me.. just not him talking too much,in one way i find the show is over produced .. but hopefully future episodes change my perception.
RUM57L

Postby lob » Sunday May 29, 2011 10:41 pm

I watch the show and I find myself skip-forwarding (with the mouse) past all the BS over-production and self/WankHead-promotion. Yeah, the segment filmed at Epic was good. I liked the mad-artist guy and his toast. Weird though, I'm pretty sure the awards for the beer he did with Epic was held in Wellington at the Michael Fowler Centre (there's footage of him and his Ego standing outside the building crapping on about something [not sure what because I immediately skipped forwarded a few minuted because he's so stuck up himself], yet they showed a wide angle shot of Auckland at night towards the end of his NZ visit. - They probably flew to Auckland for some reason and just grabbed a city-scape to show for "production values" or whatever. Who cares, no one in the US would know the difference between two completely different NZ cities (Wellington is great, Auckland is a f---ing hole), or give a toss. The equivalent would be him visiting NY and then a cut to the LA skyline at night. Weird. I think Epic was in episode 3 or 4. I also tried to watch episode 2, or whatever one it was with him and his brewery staff on chewing corn to produce ancient spit-beer or something. Eight minutes in with Children of the Corn horror references and being introduced to his staff and wife [how does she cope? - I can only guess she likes to shop, so like all the money the brewery generates, and has affairs on the side], and my head was about to explode.

Here's an idea of a show: Get Adam from Man vs Food to visit the Microbreweries - in a similar vain to all the restaurants/burger joints in mvf - throughout the US (and maybe visit downunder for the odd episode.) Sure, he probably doesn't have the same brewing experience as the dude from WankHead, but he's a laid back everyman sort of bloke who can interact with people, ask questions, etc without appearing as some wooden poser upstart self/company-promoting git. (btw There a brewery show available on Hulu that sorta does this, but - again - I can't stand the presenters.)
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby speedie » Monday May 30, 2011 11:14 pm

Lob
Without sounding negative toward your post
Don’t you get any sense of reward or excitement when watching that program?
The dude is only trying to expand his business which by the way employs 100 plus people
He is out there as most American dings are but that is how it is
If you feel that you could present a better series or should I say more interesting
Go to those fox people that you don’t like and ask for a shot at the title
The more people that drink good beer and are aware or different beers the better it will be for all of us
Lob wouldn’t you love to have a go with the small pub system that they pilot brews on
Know what I mean just you the grain, hop and yeast and your composition
Cheers speedie
Ps I would rather watch this than those housewives of some American state
speedie

Postby lob » Tuesday May 31, 2011 7:20 am

Yeah, I sorta agree with you...they do make nice interested beers, and ordinarily it would be educational to the audience. The problem though, is that the audience (US Fox viewers) are likely to be rusted-on to Miller and Bud. I'm not sure there would be too many converts. The only real concern with beer for these people is price and brand-loyalty. Same with food: these people buy crap food in bulk at Wal Mart and visit Maccas/Wendys/Burger King/etc/etc/etc several times a day. These are the dumb, white, trashy people the show is geared up for...they probably don't find it lame, they probably think the presenter and his head brewer buddy are a hoot.

I do feel for Fox though, two of it's biggest "stars", The Donald and The Airhead (Palin) have had any chance of being elected to the White House well and truly rat-fucked. [Yes I know many thought she was unelectable anyways, but look at Bush] Airhead Palin because of her cross hairs and "reload, reload"...followed by what happened in Arizona. (Don't believe the rubbish in the newspapers that Palin may be running. she's not:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43189038#43189038

And The Donald with his racist birtha shit. His pathetic getting tough with China BS didn't help either. It was always probably 80% just self-promotion [for his Fox show's ratings/$$$$] and 20% Ego 'maybe I could run'. Obama getting Americas most wanted terrorist was the icing on the cake though.
lob

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday May 31, 2011 7:46 am

I wonder if 'real' crab fisherman watch the Deadliest Catch and bitch and moan just as much :shock:

Its beer entertainment :wink:

Its not a beer demo filmed for all of us guys giving us tips on making beer and using equipment. Whats the point of making a mainstream reality show about craft beer that the Coors/Miller swiller wont watch? Preaching to the already converted isn't really the aim here and I'm sure more than a few learn more about beer in one episode than they do in a lifetime. I have a mate who wanted to come over and brew a beer for a party. He turned up, we mashed in, sat down........"So I'll pick it up Friday night" :roll: Even the ingredients had him stumped.......

And the current Carlton Draught ad....'Made from beer' :roll: :roll: :roll:

If Sam wasn't Sam this series wouldn't of even made it past the pilot. I'd happily work for the guy :D Profit sharing, family environment, many beer styles and a free case every pay day! :mrgreen: :)~

Ratings were over 1.5M per episode and it still got canned. Talk is the US beer companies were using bully tactics with advertising to get it pulled off but I'm sceptical at best about that although I don't fully discount it.
chadjaja

Postby lob » Tuesday May 31, 2011 7:55 am

I wonder if 'real' crab fisherman watch the Deadliest Catch and bitch and moan just as much

And don't get me started on the complete BS that is Deadliest Catch...

You do realize that the entire show is filmed in a swimming pool at Universal Studios in LA? The same one they used for Jaws.
lob

Postby Oliver » Tuesday May 31, 2011 8:53 am

chadjaja, I can't really disagree with anything that you've said.

It's sad, though, that it all seems as if it's true.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby lob » Tuesday May 31, 2011 10:41 am

There's a couple of shows on Hulu worth watching: Beer Nutz; The presenters are obnoxious morons, but the breweries and people they meet are interesting:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/16033/beer-nutz-san-francisco

And Three Sheets is good. Not always specifically about beer. The show is all about the host visiting various places and getting pissed on the "national drink":

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12651/three-sheets-belgium#s-p2-n1-so-i0

PM me if anyone wants to know how to get Hulu working (it's blocked outside the US) ...A tad technical, but worth the effort.

(btw I was joking about Deadliest Catch being filmed at Universal....it's one of the best reality tv shows ever imho.)
lob

Postby squirt in the turns » Tuesday May 31, 2011 12:05 pm

chadjaja wrote:I have a mate who wanted to come over and brew a beer for a party. He turned up, we mashed in, sat down........"So I'll pick it up Friday night" :roll: Even the ingredients had him stumped.......

I've only tried this once, thankfully with a mate who's a true beer enthusiast. We mashed in, sat down, got pissed on CPA (because we needed the yeast :D ). She did stick around for the whole brewday. Wasn't so excited about bottling though - I'd kegged and drunk my half of the batch months before she turned up to help bottle the rest, which was left to take up space in my brew fridge (although I daresay it was none the worse for a few months cold conditioning).

It is funny to me as a brewer that most megaswill drinkers have no idea what malted barley and hops actually are. Much the same way as they probably don't know or care where anything they consume comes from.
squirt in the turns

Postby speedie » Monday Jun 06, 2011 11:46 am

wonder what weird brews this dude will be up to in the coming show?
hay mayebe he will usr those beans that get eaten then shat out
people pay heaps for them so they can roast and brew em!
speedie

Postby lob » Friday Jul 01, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm a huge Miles Davis fan...so I think the 1st episode sorta got me off on on the wrong foot with this show. ....The presenter's brewery seem to be well represented in this list of the Top 50 US beers, so I think I might force myself to watch the series again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/best-beers-america_n_887706.html
lob

Postby lob » Sunday Sep 04, 2011 12:54 pm

I watched this film, American Beer, last night. It's from around 2003. Very good film. The presenters (all five of them) pretty much let the brewers do most of the talking. Even whatshisname from Dogfish head is in the film, and sounds a lot more likeable/genuine when he's talking naturally and not reading heavily scripted pap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9dVo-MRckI
lob

Postby jello » Sunday Sep 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Looks pretty good. I'm downloading it.
Jeff.
jello

Previous

Return to General discussion