2011 Xmas Lotto

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: 2011 Xmas Lotto

Postby warra48 » Friday Jan 20, 2012 8:25 pm

earle wrote:Sometimes you need to translate the feedback you get from friends or family if they haven't really developed their beer palate.

You certainly do!
Our son recently told our son-in-law that my beers were "too malty and too hoppy"!
I couldn't agree more, that's usually what I try to achieve!

Will look forward to your thoughts on the AIPA.
warra48

Postby earle » Saturday Jan 21, 2012 10:57 am

Had your AIPA last night warra. What a great beer. Your son probably would have described it as way too malty and hoppy but thats exactly how it should be. Poured a lovely deep golden colour with moderate carbonation, you prime most of your beers with this in mind if I recall from another thread. Great mouthfeel, big round bitter flavour balanced by the malt in the beer. Big hop flavour, you can just taste the fruitiness of the hops but this is kept in check by the bitterness and malt of the beer. If I can make any type of IPA somewhere near this I'll be very happy. Cheers
earle

Postby warra48 » Saturday Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm

You are too kind, earle, but many thanks for your comments.

Yes, I do prime at the low end. I do agree it's a good beer, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's better balanced (for an AIPA) and just a better beer than the APA I brewed immediately before it. Brewing a Golden Ale today, and plan is to use some of the yeastcake from that to innoculate another batch of this AIPA.

Our son-in-law is much more of a beer afficianado than our son, but s-in-l drinks mostly lagers and pils. To give him credit, he is very careful to buy only the fully imported, never the BUL. He happily drinks my brews.
warra48

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Jan 21, 2012 9:19 pm

earle wrote:Tipsy's belgian ale received yesterday. Its in a coopers plastic bottle which feels quite hard so I think its carbonated but have placed it in the bottom of the pantry to age for a month or two. Perhaps you can let me know when its drinking well. Cheers

Probably as good as she's going to get, the hot alcohol taste is still there, but I don't know if age will make it go away.
I re calibrated my refractometer and I think it may be well over 6%
Tipsy

Postby barrelboy » Monday Jan 23, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks for the kind comments Earle on the honey bitter. As I mentioned somewhere else I enjoy Coopers English bitter as my "everyday" drink and play around with some brews. Blue gum honey also works well, again not destroying the "bitter" be giving a lovely blue gum after taste. 500ml of harvested yeast solution from a stout also makes an interesting drop.
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby earle » Tuesday Jan 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Also had emnpaul's pilsner on the weekend, very tasty drop. Poured a pale straw colour with good carbonation and head retention. Crisp finish with a good malt flavour. Good hop flavour and bitterness and a slightly spicy finish from the hops. mmmm :)~

Will have to get some more beers in the fridge in readiness for Australia Day.

Cheers
earle

Postby emnpaul » Wednesday Jan 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Earle.

Always a chance when you call a beer your best ever, that someone will get a dodgy bottle and think of you as a tasteless retard from that day forth. Bonus. :D
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby earle » Wednesday Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm

big dave wrote:Mine's in the mail this morning.

I have popped a note in saying as much, but, on the strength of two tastings, I reckon the hops are a bit full on at present. If that's how you like it, then drink it whenever you like. Otherwise, I reckon a couple of weeks should see them mellow down a bit, and will help the clarity as well. Let me know what you think.

Had big dave's APA on the weekend. Poured a deep golden colour with good head and head retention. Hops may have mellowed as they were not over the top for me, good round bitterness and good flavour from the amarillo/cascade combo. This bottle poured a little cloudy but I have no prblem with that. Overall, a very nice drop. :D
earle

Postby earle » Wednesday Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Tipsy wrote:
earle wrote:Tipsy's belgian ale received yesterday. Its in a coopers plastic bottle which feels quite hard so I think its carbonated but have placed it in the bottom of the pantry to age for a month or two. Perhaps you can let me know when its drinking well. Cheers

Probably as good as she's going to get, the hot alcohol taste is still there, but I don't know if age will make it go away.
I re calibrated my refractometer and I think it may be well over 6%

Also had Tipsy's belgian ale on the weekend. Poured dark brown with a rocky head. Good flavour, tasted to me like a belgian should. There still is some hot alcohol flavour but I expect a little of that in a belgian. Also very nice. Still have a few in the cupboard but its good to know that there's still a couple to come too.
earle

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Glad it was alright Earl, I found it tastes a lot better a higher temperatures.
Tipsy

Postby big dave » Tuesday Feb 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Pleased it was ok Earle. The hops have settled a bit now!
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Feb 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Psyching yourself up to taste my beer Earle?
drsmurto

Postby earle » Thursday Feb 09, 2012 10:39 am

drsmurto wrote:Psyching yourself up to taste my beer Earle?

Not really, its in the fridge and keeps looking at me but as you warned me of the strength I'm waiting for an opportunity when I can fully savour it.
earle

Postby barls » Friday Feb 10, 2012 12:10 am

i guess mines in the same boat then.
barls

Postby earle » Friday Feb 10, 2012 9:30 am

barls wrote:i guess mines in the same boat then.

Yes but not in the fridge yet. Also the champange bottle has me convinced it's a beer for a special occasion. We're in the process of relocating to Toowoomba. Contract for new house has gone unconditional and settles on March 8. Next week I have four interviews with firms in Toowoomba so hopefully I'll have some good news and cause for cellabration.

I have a feeling doc's Imperial Rye Landlord will be sampled tonight to help cellabrate that its Friday. Your's will go in the fridge to replace it barls.

Cheers all
earle

Postby barls » Saturday Feb 11, 2012 12:49 am

nice work, welcome to almost a life time of debt.
let me know what you think mate.
barls

Postby earle » Monday Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Had docs Imperial Rye Landlord on the weekend. A very big beer. I'm not sure my beer vocabulary is extensive enough to properly describe it. Poured a hazy brown colour with low carbonation. It may be due to the low carbonation but the appearance as it was being poured was almost oily giving a hint to the contents. Good body, the taste was extremely rich which balanced the high IBU. A very good, different beer which I'm having difficulty describing as I've not really had anything like it before.
earle

Postby earle » Friday Feb 24, 2012 3:05 pm

earle wrote:
barls wrote:i guess mines in the same boat then.

Yes but not in the fridge yet. Also the champange bottle has me convinced it's a beer for a special occasion. We're in the process of relocating to Toowoomba. Contract for new house has gone unconditional and settles on March 8. Next week I have four interviews with firms in Toowoomba so hopefully I'll have some good news and cause for cellabration.

I have a feeling doc's Imperial Rye Landlord will be sampled tonight to help cellabrate that its Friday. Your's will go in the fridge to replace it barls.

Cheers all

Well, Barls contribution is looking in danger tonight. After 1 interview last Thursday and 3 on Friday, I had two offers and another firm that were interested but couldn't afford me. Signed the employment contract today which includes a nice pay rise, and have confirmed the date with the removalists. Definitely sounds like cause for celebration.

Even though I haven't made any beer this year I still have quite a bit to get through before the move. What a problem. :wink:
earle

Postby emnpaul » Friday Feb 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Sounds like a nice problem to have Earle. Congrat's on the new job. Hope you like Toooowooooba. :lol:
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby barls » Saturday Feb 25, 2012 7:36 pm

good work mate let me know what you think.
its a good brew but not as nice as the first batch.
barls

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion