2011 Xmas Lotto

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: 2011 Xmas Lotto

Postby earle » Friday Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Dave

Think I'll go with the SNPA type ale as I can't argue with plenty of late amarillo and cascade. Cheers
earle

Postby Sonny » Friday Dec 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Well done Earle, I'll have a ripper black enroute to you soon enough. I plan to have it there before you take off for your camping trip. Remember pictures, I'll get some of my camp trip too.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby earle » Saturday Dec 10, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks Sonny. Unfortunately it's not really camping this time as we'll be staying in caravan parks. More of a trip to see family. Cheers
earle

Postby earle » Saturday Dec 10, 2011 8:54 am

Arrived home yesterday to find Aust Post had left me a card to pick up a parcel. Unfortunately now it will be in the post office for the whole weekend, will find out on Monday who is lucky first to arrive.
earle

Postby earle » Monday Dec 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Got to the post office today, it was Milliner's CPA clone. Will get it in the fridge when I get home and chill/settle for a while before I sample. Cheers
earle

Postby milliner1986 » Monday Dec 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Have a chaser ready :oops:
milliner1986

Postby earle » Wednesday Dec 14, 2011 8:33 am

Tipsy's belgian ale received yesterday. Its in a coopers plastic bottle which feels quite hard so I think its carbonated but have placed it in the bottom of the pantry to age for a month or two. Perhaps you can let me know when its drinking well. Cheers
earle

Postby big dave » Wednesday Dec 14, 2011 9:16 am

Mine's in the mail this morning.

I have popped a note in saying as much, but, on the strength of two tastings, I reckon the hops are a bit full on at present. If that's how you like it, then drink it whenever you like. Otherwise, I reckon a couple of weeks should see them mellow down a bit, and will help the clarity as well. Let me know what you think.
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby earle » Wednesday Dec 14, 2011 9:51 am

big dave wrote:Mine's in the mail this morning.

I have popped a note in saying as much, but, on the strength of two tastings, I reckon the hops are a bit full on at present. If that's how you like it, then drink it whenever you like. Otherwise, I reckon a couple of weeks should see them mellow down a bit, and will help the clarity as well. Let me know what you think.

Thanks Dave, might pop it in the fridge when it arrives and drink it when I get back from holidays.
earle

Postby earle » Wednesday Dec 14, 2011 9:52 am

earle wrote:Tipsy's belgian ale received yesterday. Its in a coopers plastic bottle which feels quite hard so I think its carbonated but have placed it in the bottom of the pantry to age for a month or two. Perhaps you can let me know when its drinking well. Cheers

Ha ha, should have also said I'm a big fan of grey duct tape as well. It did take me a while to get into though. :lol:
earle

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Dec 14, 2011 3:03 pm

earle wrote:
earle wrote:Tipsy's belgian ale received yesterday. Its in a coopers plastic bottle which feels quite hard so I think its carbonated but have placed it in the bottom of the pantry to age for a month or two. Perhaps you can let me know when its drinking well. Cheers

Ha ha, should have also said I'm a big fan of grey duct tape as well. It did take me a while to get into though. :lol:

Hehe, the duct tape helped as the bottle was longer than the box.

I tried the first one last night and it's definitely carbed but will need at least a month. The alc was a bit 'hot' so I hope it mellows out.
Tipsy

Postby barrelboy » Thursday Dec 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Earle, let us know if beer not received Fri. post as I posted it last Thursday.
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby earle » Friday Dec 16, 2011 8:51 am

earle wrote:Got to the post office today, it was Milliner's CPA clone. Will get it in the fridge when I get home and chill/settle for a while before I sample. Cheers

Couldn't wait to start sampling any more so I cracked Milliner's CPA clone last night. Poured a nice golden colour with a moderate level of carbonation, which was good as it meant it wasn't over carbonated. I don't drink a CPA very often but from what I recall this was similar, good flavour and bitterness, well fermented out. Had been mowing the lawn for an hour or so after work, so it went down very nicely. In the bottle I had the head was fairly small and dissapated quickly, how have you found other bottles? Perhaps you'd like to post your recipe?

Cheers
earle

Postby earle » Friday Dec 16, 2011 12:43 pm

barrelboy wrote:Earle, let us know if beer not received Fri. post as I posted it last Thursday.
Cheers BB

Bottles from BB and doc picked up from the PO today. Cheers
earle

Postby barls » Saturday Dec 17, 2011 1:31 am

sorry mate its sitting on the table with the pother parcels i have to post havent got near it yet. will try to get it out this week
barls

Postby milliner1986 » Saturday Dec 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Mate I honestly cant remember what i did with the cpa pretty sure used normal cpa k & K with recultured yeast. I did a lot of these in the last few months just to get stocks up of a drinkable beer after a brewing drought I had. I always bulk prime 23L with 150g of dextrose. Not a lot of effort gone into it hence the reason I'll be sending you my amber ale after I give it a taste test to make sure I'm not sending $#!+.

Also I use lumina glasses and every now and then put a bit of bicarb in the bottom of glass, 3/4 fill with water and stir. Then add a splash of vinegar and stir while it fizzes up, rinse and dry. I find after doing this head retention in any beer improves tenfold.
milliner1986

Postby earle » Monday Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

No worries, I was just going to suggest a bit of spec malt if you wern't already doing that.

I always put my glasses through the dishwasher so they have good head retention, especially now that we've had some rain and I can run the dishwasher on rainwater rather than ground water.
earle

Postby warra48 » Monday Dec 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Earle,

Tested the first bottle of my latest batch of AIPA yesterday. All good so far, but I need to do one more quality test before I mail you one. Will be very soon, you have not been forgotten.

Cheers and beers, Rob
warra48

Postby earle » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 8:43 am

No worries Warra. Have a great christmas. Cheers
earle

Postby warra48 » Tuesday Dec 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Second bottle has passed with flying colours. Will send it next week. You better learn to love hops before it arrives! Another month or two of maturing will do it no harm.

Getting ready to go to Sydney for Christmas with daughter dear and son-in-law, and son the grandkid breeder.
Christmas lunch with son-in-law's mother. Earplugs will be packed to helped me survive the day.
Will get to see the grandkids later that day or boxing day.

Merry Christmas to you Earle, and all.
warra48

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion